Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
07-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701LivesOn
What?
You've got a little..there....

*indicates on face where 1701 has something left over from his snack*
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
07-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701LivesOn
I think this case is sorta like Star Wars-- If its on print or on tape, its canon.

Even Final Frontier and Nemesis.


What?
Hey! Final Frontier may have been garbage but Nemesis? Weak, yes but not total trash.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
07-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
-sneaks away in the hopes of not being noticed by the poke trainer so as to aviod being stuck in a pokeball- >_>
Reminds me of this for some reason...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
07-13-2010, 09:00 AM
I read somewhere that Roddenberry was never really fond of Star Trek feature films - especially elements of Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country (although what exactly he had issues with is still a bit of a mystery). And truthfully, a film doesn't really have the flexibility a TV series does when it comes to story telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
There has been one thing that has always kind of bothered me about Roodenberry's universe of Star Trek. The space combat between ship's has always been fought Submarine style (for lack of a better term) instead of actual Capital ships slugging it out like they should in a deep space environment.
In the case of Balance of Terror, it makes sense; it's a destroyer/cruiser trying to hunt down an enemy submarine. The true would be the same of any other episode that featured a Starfleet vessel trying to detect and hunt down a cloaked enemy.

As for other episodes that deal with combat: up until DS9, I think the main stubbling block about space battles was budget (Although TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise" does showcase a sort of cruiser on cruiser battle - or at least one Galaxy-class battleship vs three oversized Klingon BoP).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
07-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Give the pink one rabbit ears and have panda fall out of one of the balls.
I can't see why you would be reminded of that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
07-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
There has been one thing that has always kind of bothered me about Roodenberry's universe of Star Trek. The space combat between ship's has always been fought Submarine style (for lack of a better term) instead of actual Capital ships slugging it out like they should in a deep space environment.

In the "JJverse" the ship's fight more like the cruisers they are, including having anti-torpedo defenses. Their is actual full 3D movement and the ships twist and turn like they should in that environment. In teh old trek, you fired a torpedo at another ship and it's shields may or, as it always seemed to happen" nopt stop it before it hits the hull. Having anti-topr defenses, and being able to move more unpredicatably seems more realistic.

I know in TOS, they just didn't have the tech to do all that, but until late DS9, I don't even think it occurred to the people making those series. There's more to write on this but, I figure I would let you all take it from here.

My 2 cents worth
I think JJ's was closer to the way it would be. I think real space combat would be a combination of classical fleet actions, submarine combat, and air combat. So not like anything we have seen before.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
07-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I think JJ's was closer to the way it would be. I think real space combat would be a combination of classical fleet actions, submarine combat, and air combat. So not like anything we have seen before.
So it's not... *remove shades* two-dimensional thinking.

(KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA---)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800lbGorilla
That is what I have been trying to figure out. There are like 6 to 8 posters that I have seen bash the JJ movie every time it comes up on one of the forums. They act like the creation of this movie was a personal attack on them for some reason.

Personally, I don't understand why they don't like it. I can point out crappy episodes in EVERY Star Trek series, including the original series.
because for some reason people tend to take start trek more seriously than they should. its a made up sci-fi universe but people often talk about it as if its real. i know it can be fun to argue as we all do but some just go off the deep end. most people actually will say the film was good fun, just not star trek, which is again just a matter of opinion. to me star trek is fun, and the new film was certainly fun.

I loved the new film, but everybody has their own view on what trek should be. the new film is no different to the others, as you say. some people hated TNG when it came out as it was not their star trek

some people hated ds9 because it was set on a station and not star trek

some people hated enterprise because they messed around with canon and the timeline.

half of the complaints about the new film can be found anywhere among the star trek tv shows, and its just getting the headlines as its new.

there also seams to be an irrational hatred for jj saying that he ruined star trek and does no know what hes doing, yet these will be the same people who hate on berman and braga. if people dont like the film then thats fine but sometimes i think its all just an excuse to hate.
i remember one guy hated it because of the beastie boys song in the car. he could not get his head around the fact that an old 20th century car that someone had updated with some 21st music player was still in the 23rd century because he thought that it would have been destroyed in world war 3, and that was a big deal that ruined the film for him.

the new film did do one thing and thats make star trek popular and cool, which is no bad thing. i hope the next film is a bit more intelligent and has a more star trek feel to the story over mindless action but either way im glad star trek is still being made. without jj it might just have died.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
07-13-2010, 05:44 PM
Space combat would probably be very mush like the fleet engament with the Founders and breem forces in ds9.

Large heavily armed cruisers moving in lines to deliver maximum fire power at a distance while smaller Ships like frigates Screen the larger ships against short range enemy fighter, escort, and frigate attacks.

Escorts will likely engage each other at nearly point blank range while moving thru enemy formations and striking targets of oppertunity, all at high rates of speed.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 AM.