Lt. Commander
So remember all those threads and posts about how horrible the skill cap is/was?

Yeah, I do too.

I just hit Vice Admiral on Tribble. Level 51. You have 72,700 skill points at that level.

And I ran out of meaningful things to purchase at about level 48.5

Now my build is spread out on purpose. And I don't heavily invest in T5 skills. But even I got 25 skill ups at that tier in my VA build. 3 engi skills set to 7, and one captain piloting skill set to 4.

That's still subject to tweaking, as I might go 9 in weapons performance, or switch some things lower down around to go 5 in my piloting skill.

But wait ... there's more ...

THIS THREAD by GM_Destra outlines the company's plans for further level advancement. Allllll the way up to level 61+.

Now I'm sure they plan to make a few more skills here and there. BUT ... the thing to take away from Destra's posts is ... by the time you reach that actual "end-game" ... you should have enough skill points to have exhausted your Narrow Focused build and then exhausted filling in the blanks for stuff you want or hybridized build ideas.

You may not be able to spend points for every skill in the game, but by the time you're level 61, you should have enough points to cover the ability to pilot multiple ships and/or use multiple weapon types effectively.

The skill cap is going from a "hard" cap ... to a much softer cap ... if Destra's plan is stuck to.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
What are you doing?

Are you honestly trying to talk sense into people on this forum? Why?

You and everyone else knew that they were going to raise the level cap, and with it the skill cap. This didn't stop them from still screaming like crazy about the horrible skill cap.

Talking sense into the posters on the STO forums. Well, it's your time to waste...
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
What are you doing?
Establishing an on the record post for later when the argument starts anew. Thus I have something to link to.

This is more for my own peace of mind than anything else. Heh. I don't start that many threads. Out of habit mostly.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Allllll the way up to level 61+.
Do not want continually moving level cap.

On record!
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
Do not want continually moving level cap.

On record!
Heh. Eventually they run out of admiral ranks and pips. So you know, there is that at least.

Lt. Commander
# 6
07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
I dont have a problem with a level cap.......

What I clamor for is a dang skill tree that actually makes sense, because the one we have might be the worst one I have seen in a MMO. its that bad.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Heh. Eventually they run out of admiral ranks and pips. So you know, there is that at least.

Well, probably what will happen then is, our characters will evolve into higher life forms and the level advancement will just keep going and going...
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
Well, probably what will happen then is, our characters will evolve into higher life forms and the level advancement will just keep going and going...
I'm a level 25 member of the Q Continuum!

Please don't nerf my alter reality ability, or faster than thought travel!
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-12-2010, 05:09 PM
The problem is that there's still a cap.

It was claimed that there would be none at launch...that we would be able to spend points beyond what our rank would logically dictate.

They changed their minds and decided to put in a cap. People rebelled.

The skill tree was designed with no skill cap in mind. So, it doesn't work very well with the cap.

It's doable, but you still lose out on something. I think they should either rework the skill trees or drop the skill cap altogether. Either way, a major overhaul needs to be done.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-12-2010, 05:32 PM
well i assume they will add more skills so you will have somethng to buy later on.