Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
07-18-2010, 01:00 AM
Like, how all Ship Maintenance skills are Tier 2, Ship efficiency skills are Tier 3, but Ship performance skills are split between Tier 4 (Shields, Engines) and Tier 5 (Weapons, Auxiliary).

Or like all weapon types should actually be Tier 3 (from anti-proton to chroniton torpedoes)

Or like Deflector Fields, Sensor Probes, Astrometrics, Photonic Theory are Tier 4 and 5 when they ought to all be Tier 3 because they're essentially the third portion of general skill/broad skill/specialized skill.

There are skills that belong high. Advanced ships is one of those. However, reducing costs of the 400cp/500cp down to the more appropriate 300cp for those I mentioned above would definitely allow people to have enough skill points around to adequately invest in the Ground combat skills as well - well enough to develop a kit speciality, anyhow.

It would also ship the number crunchers behind Cryptic are not taking us for idiots. >_>;
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
07-18-2010, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
Well, probably what will happen then is, our characters will evolve into higher life forms and the level advancement will just keep going and going...
Like the Traveller and Wesley Crusher?

It would be awesome to evolve into Wesley!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
07-18-2010, 01:04 AM
But the same end result will also be achieved by the path they seem to be taking. By having T5 stick around for 11+ more levels (and all the skill points needed to get those 11+ more levels) ... then we'll all be able to afford T5 skills and everything in between.

Just having the 10 thousand more skill points I got from these 6 new levels has opened up so much breathing room in my builds. Flexibility. And should open up room for ground skills.

Wb Harding's even posted a sort of antithesis thread to this one in the Tribble forums, complaining that the 10k new skill points is bad because it lets builds fill in all this extra stuff and he feels the choices lose their meaning. And that's just with what's in 2.0. Not even including the next 11 levels they have planned.

If they add 3, 6, 9, even a dozen new skills around the various tiers, things will still be very open, affordable and flexible by level 61.

The problem seems to be correcting itself. It's just a long-term process Cryptic is using. Which, considering what kind of game this is ... makes a sort of sense from their perspective.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
07-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck_of_many_things
Sorry, everyone isnt as leet as you, no.
I literally picked this up a week ago. I havent hit end game yet, no
Never claimed to be "leet". You're talking to someone who was in CoH beta, 72 month vet reward to show little lapse in the game, and first level capped toon was a villain. And history lesson, CoV came out years after CoH. Yet in this game with casual playing, 4 capped Feds already and more on the way. Leveling in this game is a lot easier than any other game played with the exception of Cryptic's other current game Crapions Online. And there it was only harder to level due to the fact you had to street hunt a few levels with level content gaps at the start.

Or maybe Guild Wars was easier to reach cap but you hit cap so early there that it's a different argument.

But by your statement, you started a week ago, have not even reached the end yet. And you are complaining about a cap you haven't even experienced yet? How does that work?

And you claim you're gimped by this. How so?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
07-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Absolutely. The skill system is not designed to function under a budget. The different costs for equivalent weapon systems needs to be the first thing tossed out, and it only the most obvious expression of the problematically nonsensical cost differential and one-way gating of expenditure on the equally-specialized skills at T3, T4, and T5.
Supposedly the reason it doesnt work right is because it was a capless system at first, then just before launch, they slapped a cap in place
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56
07-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
And you claim you're gimped by this. How so?
Because he cannot be optimised for everything, presumably.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
07-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Supposedly the reason it doesnt work right is because it was a cap-less system at first, then just before launch, they slapped a cap in place
i do recall that. although i was only at Capt 1 by the time the game launched i didnt get to see everything in Beta to the 'End Point'. i do remember the uprising in the forums over the skill cap being put into place.

Quote:
Yet in this game with casual playing, 4 capped Feds already and more on the way. Leveling in this game is a lot easier than any other game played with the exception of Cryptic's other current game
leveling in this game is easy.......if you have lots of time. In between my quarters of school i was able to put in 4-6 hours a night and in 2 weeks had RA 5. got two of them now, but point is i aint bashing on ya for being new to the game.....just illustrating the ease at which you gain max Lvl.

Quote:
Then again, with no cap, all that is irrelevant, because we are all fully specced for everything. I think a situation where everyone can get everything is pretty damn dull myself.
that is the best focus point for me. It was bad to have such a low cap for points; Yet, at the the same time it is bad for having to many points with no cap.
for example, lets say there is enough SP that w/o placing into ground skills you can max out nearly all the space skills. So, now that you are like everyone else in the game when it comes to space combat.....you dont care for ground pvp and so you focus on space. Problem is, there is no skill involved in this game now. there are no choices to make over Off vs. Def or DPS vs. Heals. the only difference is the ships you use and the captain abilities you choose, because the rest is the same for all at that level.

The skill tree, even w/o the inclusion of new skills, needs to be redesigned to be more efficient but that is another story.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
07-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck_of_many_things
Supposedly the reason it doesnt work right is because it was a capless system at first, then just before launch, they slapped a cap in place
They didn't just "slap" it into place. But the people who make that post aren't going to really concede that they did weight their skill tree on purpose with intent.

In fact, the few dev responses about the skill cap pointed to the game expanding in the future ... and this thread's purpose is to point out how that is playing out and how that does affect the skill tree system very much like certain dev comments suggested.

It's almost like the age old Klingon post. About how the devs ignore the klingons. You can search that and find it posted hundreds of times. That doesn't make it true. Nor does it reflect the context properly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59
07-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithterror View Post
that is the best focus point for me. It was bad to have such a low cap for points; Yet, at the the same time it is bad for having to many points with no cap.
The is indeed *the* design issue, no doubt about it.

Quote:
The skill tree, even w/o the inclusion of new skills, needs to be redesigned to be more efficient but that is another story.
Indeed, the current system is not how I would have done it, but as currently configured, without a skill cap it might as well just be removed completely and replaced with something utterly different... but again I agree... that is indeed another story.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:17 AM.