Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 121
07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarjan View Post
point is whith the gaping content holes cryptic has in their new development strategy to push out as many mmo games as possible cause thats how atari now said they would work they cant sell content and expect players to go along with it this is why they are now toying with the idea of f2p game models...
well to be honest if this does go through as a full ship instead of a skin I would say that it is a sign of F2P ( not that it is a bad thing if they go the LOTRO route. ) but before they go to free 2 play I feel that they would need to expand the game by a factor of 2 content wise.
Lt. Commander
# 122
07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
well to be honest if this does go through as a full ship instead of a skin I would say that it is a sign of F2P ( not that it is a bad thing if they go the LOTRO route. ) but before they go to free 2 play I feel that they would need to expand the game by a factor of 2 content wise.
yeah i bet they are trying to figure out the life time subs before they go f2p imagine the uproar....
Lt. Commander
# 123
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awarkle View Post
i would much prefer it if cryptic sold a mission arc that actually unlocked the ships ...
Sorry, but C-Store Mission content is an ABSOLUTE No-Go!

I will support cryptic buying preorders/cosmetics/new races ... all of them nice "toys", no "must haves" but this kind of content in the c-store is a step too far, as mission content should be be available to ALL players, not just C-Store Cutomers.
Lt. Commander
# 124
07-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarjan View Post
yeah i bet they are trying to figure out the life time subs before they go f2p imagine the uproar....
well that depends Dstahl talked about the DDO, and LOTRO model. in that model you have three options.

lifetime everything is unlocked for life, and 500 points for their MT store

Subscribed everything is unlocked as long as you pay, and 500 points for the MT store

Free limited parts of the game is unlocked, you do not have access to most of the game, but you have the ability of buy more content on the MT store ( if I understand it right, also it is more like a large demo )

I don't know if it's going to be that big of an uproar. there will be some.
Lt. Commander
# 125
07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
well that depends Dstahl talked about the DDO, and LOTRO model. in that model you have three options.

lifetime everything is unlocked for life, and 500 points for their MT store

Subscribed everything is unlocked as long as you pay, and 500 points for the MT store

Free limited parts of the game is unlocked, you do not have access to most of the game, but you have the ability of buy more content on the MT store ( if I understand it right, also it is more like a large demo )

I don't know if it's going to be that big of an uproar. there will be some.
Well we will see , i just remember the uproar when they tried to claim adventure packs in their cstore....
Lt. Commander
# 126
07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
Your sarcasm isn't working because many of us do spend money to be in this game. With the economy the way it is, it's becoming increasingly difficult to justify such a casual expense. It also isn't working because subscription fees (inherently) are believed to be what funds a game's development, but somewhere along the line, people in suits decided they could stock their pockets some more and began dictating the direction of games (read: SOE). This is another classic example.

They gave us a poll and it seemed to me that the pretense was that we would be getting these ships in-game, not in the C-Store (by opening the poll to the whole subscribed public). But in the end, we've come to learn that the budget department was simply finding out what ships we would be most ravenous for so they could charge us for them.

Bad form. Period.
You know, not to try and be snarky per say - considering what it costs to go to a movie, or even eat at a fast food restaurant these days; even if you only play the game 1 hour a day on average over a 30 day period; at $15.00 a month, that $0.50 (50 cents) an hour (and LESS if you play more often in that same period). If your finances are to a point where that level of cost for a form of entertainment you enjoy is beyond your means; then you really shouldn't even be posting here, or maintaining the cost of an internet connection.

I DO understand that the C-Store (and microtransactions) in general get the ire of some people; but I honestly have to say, that the 'bang for you buck' entertainment ratio of pay for play MMOs is very good compared to most other forms of 'pay' entertainment/recreation.

Yes, you only pay for a 'single player' PC RPG once - but at most there are usually 20 hours of entertainment; and if you like the gameplay; your only option is to replay from scratch. With most MMOs; you're constantly getting new stuff (that's included in you subscription fee) added; and sometimes whole new character classes (hasn't happened with STO as yet); or entire new content avenues and mechanics (happening with STO in the Season 2.0 update with the Federation Diplomatic Corps stuff; and the as yet to be patched onto Tribble, but coming 'Weekly Mission' system; the new minigames and the expansion of ship interiors. )

This regardless of the extra items in the C-Store or not; it's not as if the $15.00 a month is either all that expensive in the long run; and you ARE continuing to see some return on that investment as it pertains to expansion of content in the game. In fact the C-Store income also helps fund that, whether or not you personally decide to purchase something from the store yourself or not. If the C-Store was not up, and generating income; I doubt the STO Dev team would have been able to remain at the size it is; and while we would still be seeing content and game expansion; we'd being seeing less of it overall, and what we did get would be coming at a slower pace than it is now.
Lt. Commander
# 127
07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Anybody recall the forums prior to launch? A fair sized group of hopeful players were pretty vocal about not wanting to see a C-store or micro transactions in STO. Of course just that has become a reality and $25.00 is hardly a micro transaction, it's a third a tank of gas.
Lt. Commander
# 128
07-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
here is a good price exchange between merits and C-store points .
I believe the intent of the statement of "getting them in game" was through task accomplishments, not via alternative currencies. To monetize in game currencies through value associations that can be connected in cryptic points is a REALLY bad idea. That could set up a long ranging problems I am sure Cryptic has absolutely no intention of dealing with.
Lt. Commander
# 129
07-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
cut for space...
well, all I can say is 'duh'.

You think they wouldn't run a poll just to determine what cool new features they can have people pay for?

STO quickly became one huge cash making process and less of an actual game

ping people, make fancy marketing posts, add limited piecemeal content, charge, make money, rinse, repeat.

This has been going on since CO shipped, and people seem surprised each time it occurs. It is quite shocking to watch.

How many times does the owner need to pull the food away from a dog when they get ready to take a bite, before the dog learns not to trust the human?

How many times does the average Cryptic game buyer/follower need?

If everyone accepts that this is a pure cash making endeavor, they will be better off, and probably cease having those ulcer pains, and sleep a tad better.
Lt. Commander
# 130
07-13-2010, 12:57 PM
to be Honest if cryptic wanna keep making trash games according to ATARI's policy of churning out mmos in a rapid order they should stop dooing it to major IP's like startrek it has a wery rabid fanbase and i know trekkeis hate most of the games that has been made for startrek up til now... most of them been trash some nice gems but mostly banking on it beeing a trek game....

YOuy wanna churn out trash make up ur own ips