Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 491
07-17-2010, 05:31 PM
For every new ship added to the game, including the Galaxy-X, there should be a means of earning that same ship in game through hard work. This allows players the option of buying the ship outright or earning the ship through play, which accomplishes both potential revenue for Cryptic while adding valuable end-game awards to keep players 'engaged'.
Lt. Commander
# 492
07-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhaden_Khren
For every new ship added to the game, including the Galaxy-X, there should be a means of earning that same ship in game through hard work. This allows players the option of buying the ship outright or earning the ship through play, which accomplishes both potential revenue for Cryptic while adding valuable end-game awards to keep players 'engaged'.
The problem is that there is somebody sitting in the 'Department of Bean Affairs' that has decreed that $xxx.xx MUST be gotten from each and every nerd that uses the game. There is no consideration for those that shelled out for the LTS, for multiple copies, or that continue to pay a monthly sub. The whole operation is geared towards "what have you paid me today!?!"

There is a budget somewhere on someone's desk that has been written that dictates that there must be xx% of revenue derived from Non-Subrcription based products/services, and EVERYTHING has to post an increase of at least 10% over last months sales figures.
Lt. Commander
# 493
07-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkStone View Post
The problem is that there is somebody sitting in the 'Department of Bean Affairs' that has decreed that $xxx.xx MUST be gotten from each and every nerd that uses the game. There is no consideration for those that shelled out for the LTS, for multiple copies, or that continue to pay a monthly sub. The whole operation is geared towards "what have you paid me today!?!"

There is a budget somewhere on someone's desk that has been written that dictates that there must be xx% of revenue derived from Non-Subrcription based products/services, and EVERYTHING has to post an increase of at least 10% over last months sales figures.
Wow...how did we ever come across such insider information?!?!? ...lol
Lt. Commander
# 494
07-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTerribleRomulan
Wow...how did we ever come across such insider information?!?!? ...lol
Mark use to work for Cryptic... i think his last handle was copper..no maybe it was iron.... crap can t remember i think it was a metal with an atomic number of 30 if i recall:p

holy smoke....i ve just read your signature Mark... loving it...
Lt. Commander
# 495
07-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatici
Mark use to work for Cryptic... i think his last handle was copper..no maybe it was iron.... crap can t remember i think it was a metal with an atomic number of 30 if i recall:p
*doubles over laughing*

If the "not actually taking a break" theories are true, I wouldn't be surprised for him to pop up somewhere... not likely that particular case tho. Or IS IT? Dun dun dun...
Lt. Commander
# 496
07-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Yea, mark's not off about what the bean counters are thinking. I believe f the reason they are so slow about telling us how much everything is going to cost is be for one of 2 reasons.

1. We angry players with phasers and pitchforks...KLINGONS included might storm the proverbial castle and burn it to the ground.

-or-

2. They are still doing the long-division with pencils and paper...or maybe with an abacus......Yes, that sounds about it. Maybe they are the same people that assist the GAO with the budget every year....

Sheesh, if it's not one thing, its another.
Lt. Commander
# 497
07-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
You forget Crytpic is made up of 3 guys in a basement with an Apple II GS. They are using our subsctptions to save up for the 1 button mouse they have always dreamed of!
Freaking hilarious!
Lt. Commander
Ok so let me spell this out to everyone.. first off shame on cryptic for releasing an unfinished game that not only ****ed the comunity off due to lack of content, but made at least helf of the populus leave the game... thus why a game that has only been on the market for what 8 or so months is already offering return bennies... that to me is the first clue that something is wrong... then they have the odacity to charge what top mmo's that have NEXT TO NO GLITCHES AND PROBLEMS charge... then they add the c store... supposed to be for xtra skins and other things to support what is already in game.. ie, a new skin for an existing ship.. now instead of releasing content to make people happy ( and stop peeps from leaving) they say,, oh buy the content that we should have included in the original release..

the c store would be viable if the game was free to play. release content to buy in a free to play game and no one gets mad... release it in a game where you already charge a premium to play a subpar game.. and you get post like this.

now, im happy for now with the game, i am one of those who said lets see what happens under the new leadership and see what this first content patch brings... i figured that at eleast the excelsior (who won the fan poll) would have been an ingame release. i agree that the piggies at cryptic just wanted to see which skin some people couldnt live without.. and as such if further polls are going to make the piggies oink and squeel than i am not going to take part in them and niether should anyone in the community..

now for the spelling out of what is going on... cryptic sees what happened. people have left the game because they did a poor job with content, and since they are behind, its like trying to bail a boat out with a strainer which is why the level cap went up already... its a fis that is like dangling keys over a baby, eventually we will want more and i dont think it will be there. but i think cryptic is concerned about the new star wars game coming out (and i am not advertising it or anything as i am not a star wars fan really) but... they are tyring to get their money now while they can b4 people jump ship...

and to all those who say that the c-store helps, of course it does, but... how can all the other mmo;s do it with just membership fees and they have much more stable games with much more content. inho, the key to cryptics future is makeing a hard decision, lose the c-store, or lose the monthly fees. that is it plain and simple.... and lifers, dont worry, you guys would probably get some uber awsome stuff if we went free to play..
Lt. Commander
# 499
07-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatici

holy smoke....i ve just read your signature Mark... loving it...
Now that $***'s funny!

If that was the case, I probably could have helped burn the whole barn down allready...
Lt. Commander
# 500
07-18-2010, 04:09 PM
The bottom line is Cryptic is a business and seems to run itself focused on making money over the short-term (considering it's an MMO).

As long as people buy items in the C-Store, Cryptic will sell them. If they have an advantage of making use (or abusing) a franchise or popular iconics in said franchise, they'll use them. If sales through the C-Store go up, they'll push the barriers more to see how much more they can soak out of it.

The majority of people on MMOs rarely look at forums and have a high tendency of spending money on microtransactions. If it makes them money, they'll keep at it.

We can blame Cryptic all we want, but if we didn't buy anything through the C-Store, they wouldn't have the option to do what they're doing right now. Instead they'd be focused on updating *more* content in-game instead of dividing their attention between that and the C-Store - Which imo would keep and attract more subscribers.