Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 561
08-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
But at what cost? 500CP? 1000? 2000?

The problem is is that crytpic did a poll. Excelsior and Nebula came out on top. Crytpic stated over and over that these 2 ships would be ingame. When everyone finally got their hopes up after months of waiting...Crpytic wonderfully annouces that boths ships will be in game...for a price.

They purposely deceived the players yet again.

That is the issue.
well, they didn't REALLY deceive us, we just assumed the ships would be free because we already pay a subscription that in every other subscription based game on the planet would have guaranteed that they would be free.

what ticks me off the most is that they are so obviously lying to us.

somewhere in closed beta the old producer went out and promised (yes he actually promised) that each and every item they put on the C-store could be aquired through normal gameplay.

i don't mint paying extra for aditional character slots or respecs and the likes.

but when i have to pay extra to get access to stuff i ALREADY pay a SUBSCRIPTION FEE for then i get miffed...

right now it wouldn't surprise me if the weekly episodes will end up on the c-store aswell....

the C-store isnt helping this game, quite the contrary, but somehow they are h*ellbent on trying to break even with it by throwing more and more stuff on there that we have to pay for.

and the more items they throw in there the more people gets angry and quit,. its a vicious circle they they can never ever beat.

and as someone wrote above, they don't even have a dedicated team to build all these items, so what happens is that all those that do not use the store gets to pay for it anyway via their subscriptions, and still wont get access to them until they pay even more money...

we already pay a subscription for this game, why should we have to pay many many times more just to get the "full game"?
Lt. Commander
# 562
08-01-2010, 04:57 AM
Hello,
I mean no disrespect to any one and all have a right to there thoughts on a matter but you people complaining about them selling stuff in the c-store need to wake up this is there buissness and it pays there wages, keeps the lights on and oh yea keeps the game online, you have to realise how corporations work, They have to make at least a certian amount of profit to keep going that is just how it is, you have a job and like haveing money to pay your bills well where ever you work guess what they make a profit, see i use to work for a company and they closed all the plants down and moved them to china, and they didnt do it because they didnt make a profit but they didnt make a certian amount of profit, so please thi nk of this before you start complaining about then selling stuff in the cstore cause if you love the game like i do guess what they have to make money to keep it going and to keep makeing improvements )
Lt. Commander
# 563
08-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMerzan
Hello,
I mean no disrespect to any one and all have a right to there thoughts on a matter but you people complaining about them selling stuff in the c-store need to wake up this is there buissness and it pays there wages, keeps the lights on and oh yea keeps the game online, you have to realise how corporations work, They have to make at least a certian amount of profit to keep going that is just how it is, you have a job and like haveing money to pay your bills well where ever you work guess what they make a profit, see i use to work for a company and they closed all the plants down and moved them to china, and they didnt do it because they didnt make a profit but they didnt make a certian amount of profit, so please thi nk of this before you start complaining about then selling stuff in the cstore cause if you love the game like i do guess what they have to make money to keep it going and to keep makeing improvements )
You might have had a point with the lights and such if this game were free to play, it is not. The monthly fees are there to make them go. But they´re smart too, so they sell all the star trek stuff on the black market known as the c-store.
Lt. Commander
# 564
08-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Hello,
There is a not a single product I can think of that I love so much that I would support no matter the cost to me. My goal is to have a product I enjoy at a price point that I feel is worth the value. If the cost outpaces the value, the product is worthless to me, regardless of quality, and their need to sustain a profit no longer matters to me.

You see, I made it all the way through Economics, where they talked about how capitalism is NOT just about the producer trying to maximize profits while minimizing cost. It is also about the consumer trying to maximize value while minimizing costs. It is a semi-adversarial system that only works if BOTH sides work to squeeze as much as they can out of the other. Then, it meets in the middle at the optimal result for all parties. If one side doesn't push back, they get steamrolled and the whole system falls apart.

As a capitalist consumer, my part in the system is more important to me than any particular product. Star Trek or no Star Trek, I refuse to give Cryptic a free pass on trying to maximize my value. If the game fails, it is because it deserved to fail.
Lt. Commander
# 565
08-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Hello,
Until the asymmetrical information situation on the financial side of things is corrected with full disclosure, any arguments about the "need" of money are extremely unreasonable.
Lt. Commander
# 566
08-03-2010, 05:14 AM
I have to agree that this is something that is beginning to rub with me that any free content is few and far between.

I like the veteran awards, it works as an incentive to keep paying subscriptions but making the cstore items like the excelsior and nebula is a bit of a pain to be honest.
Paying ten to fifteen quid in addition to the subscription is a bit much, especially as it is not a tangible object but a perk to game play.

I'd make them a free unlock at say captain level or something as an incentive to keep people playing the game and thus continuing to pay subscription fees.
Once you get past VA there is very little to do in my experience, offering extra items that are unlocked would be enough to keep me interested until proper additional content was released.

The moment cryptic start relying on cstore items for revenue then they are going to be in trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 567
08-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
My schedule shows the "Search for Spock" Excelsior going live with the launch of Weekly series 1 on August 24 (Commander level ship - avialable for Energy Credits) and then the "Generations" Excelsior going up in the C-Store on August 26 (Rear-Admiral account wide unlock).
So we get the T3 ship for in-game currency, but the T5 version is apparently going to be C-Store only. I am...not sure how I feel about this.

I suppose the fact that I am not feeling immediately quantifiable anger shows I am somewhat mollified by this half-and-half approach. The Excelsior design is old, and being giving out for "free" in a relatively appropriate block. I am...ambivalent about paying for the privilege of having it for end-game...
Lt. Commander
# 568
08-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Quote:
So we get the T3 ship for in-game currency, but the T5 version is apparently going to be C-Store only. I am...not sure how I feel about this.

I suppose the fact that I am not feeling immediately quantifiable anger shows I am somewhat mollified by this half-and-half approach. The Excelsior design is old, and being giving out for "free" in a relatively appropriate block. I am...ambivalent about paying for the privilege of having it for end-game...
I am content with having the Excelsior even if it is a lower tier ship for in game currency. At least in part this does comply with the initial plan for the game and so it would be ungrateful of us to think otherwise.

However making a paid version of it for tier 5 is still a bothersome tactic on their behalf but ultimately an extra. I wish however that all their "special" ability ships were in game and not on the C store since that upsets game balance to an extend. Perhaps special abilities should have been something you chose for your ship in game (like a retrofit choice) and not dictated by the ship itself. I prefer the store staying entirely cosmetic and not introducing new mechanics that will ultimately begin to shape gameplay.

My quick fix for all these ships (Galaxy X, Excelsior, Nebula and Connie) would be making them available with emblems since they all have attributes not found in game.
Lt. Commander
# 569
08-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm happy to see the T3 Excelsior in game for energy credits. I have plenty of those. I really wish we had more lower Tier ships. I think it would be cool to be able to have a couple T1-4 ships from which to choose.
Lt. Commander
# 570
08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
So, with the Excelsior coming out this month pegged as the 'Search for Spock' version with a rank of Commander needed, I'm guessing that the T5 version will be coming as another release sometime in September?