Lt. Commander
# 1 Andorian Psychology
07-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Somehow, I seem to be becoming a supposed expert on Andorians... Not sure how that happened. Ayhoo, I've been asked several times about a thread I started a little while ago, regarding Andorian Psychology. I originally posted it in the Ten Forward section, but considering the demand, I've decided to repost it here for higher traffic.

Someone was asking me about how to play an Andorian, and I thought I might post the section on Andorian Psychology from the Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual (1977). I don't claim to be an expert on Andorians, but I found this excerpt helpful in developing the character. I also suggest you watch the Andorian episodes of Enterprise, as they will help a good deal as well.

Quote:
The Andorians are a very ancient race by Human standards, and differ from other Federation species in that they are considered to be a violent race. Their almost fanatical militarism is comparable to that of Earth's 13th Century Crusaders, or the Skah Knights of pre-Reform Vulcan. Historically, they have always fought when pressured, but their intelligence and unusually rigid logic tends to override any impulsive, irrational attempts at violent behaviour. An Andorian will listen to reasonable argument as the "intelligent" way out of a dispute, and will not resort to trickery or deceit (Andorians have a set of ethical and moral standards which makes such "dishonourable" behaviour literally impossible; for an Andorian to tell a deliberate falsehood is tantamount to insanity). Andorians are also known to have quick, drastic mood changes, often paralleling environmental changes (Andorian blood temperature has a variation of 5-10*F depending on the ambient), which can be difficult to deal with.

The Andorian physiology is one of the most highly-developed and disease resistant known to Federation science. Disease is so rare to an Andorian, he will probably go through the entire transition from health to illness in a state of complete disbelief or shock. Until symptoms of the disorder become incapacitating, the Andorian will refuse treatment and will even refuse to accept that he is ill. Once the patient can no longer function with his disorder, he is thrust into the second stage of adaptation - total acceptance. During this stage, the Andorian reacts to his sudden acceptance of the illness with hostility, violence and anger. The duration of the Andorian's hostility may be as long as the illness persists or until the patient is over the initial shock of acceptance (depending on the seriousness of the condition). It is also interesting to note that if the Andorian suffers the loss of a body part, he invariably prefers death to recovery.

Recovery for the Andorian is usually met with the utmost cooperation from the patient. Getting well becomes the most important matter in the Andorian's life, providing that the disorder does not leave the patient with any permanent dysfunction. Convalescence is as short-lived a period as possible for the Andorian, who usually insists upon reentering society long before a medical officer would advise him to. Being ill carries a certain stigma in Andorian society, and the patient may be pressured into potentially dangerous acts of physical prowess to prove his good health to others.

The medical officer is advised to treat the Andorian during these stages with understanding, kindness and patience. The moody Andorian has a difficult time adjusting to his illness. If violence prevails during the second stage of adjustment, tranquilizers are recommended. During the third stage, the Andorian must be convinced of the necessity of remaining under treatment until completely able to function on his own.
- The Starfleet Medical Reference Manual, Ballantine Books, 1977. Copyright, 1977, Paramount Pictures Corporation.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Disease is so rare to an Andorian, he will probably go through the entire transition from health to illness in a state of complete disbelief or shock. Until symptoms of the disorder become incapacitating, the Andorian will refuse treatment and will even refuse to accept that he is ill.

Wow... this completely resembles my Playstyle!
i ignore every minor injury until it becomes critical, then i am getting angry that i have to waste regenerators etc.

i play a half andorian / half klingon char...
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Commander Shram is my absolute favorite Star Trek character of all the shows/films.

Lt. Commander
# 4
07-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Sounds like a Jem'Hadar, minus the crippling addiction.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-14-2010, 01:04 PM
i heard they wanted to make Shran (aka Veyoun aka Brunt FCA) a constant Bridge Officer in ENT Season 5...
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Most of that contradicts the Andorians in Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I also never liked these things. They portray literally only the stereotype. It would be racist generalizations if it was real.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Andorian ANGER!@!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
i heard they wanted to make Shran (aka Veyoun aka Brunt FCA) a constant Bridge Officer in ENT Season 5...
Tbh I dont understand what was the problem with ENT.It was a lot better than Voyager imo(-the borg episodes).
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorrlan
Tbh I dont understand what was the problem with ENT.It was a lot better than Voyager imo(-the borg episodes).
The Problem was that they used the more then outdated "Alien of the Week" Concept for the first two Seasons and thought they can get away with that AGAIN!
Then they realized that the ratings dropped so they tried to recreate the epic DS9 plot system with introducing us to the Xindi Plot at the start of the Season, but then filler episode after filler episode until they finally ended it (just like DS9) with a 6 or 7 part Arc.
That concept was new and shiny by the time of DS9 but it was just not enough compared to hold up against Series like 24, Lost, Prison Break or BSG... and they were ALL running at that time...
also SG1 and SGA were still running at that time!

In addition to that ENT was percieved as an unlogical, unwanted Prequel by the Trek Fans.
Trekkers did want to see what happens after Voyager and they pulled out an Pre-Kirk Archer + never mentioned Enterprise NX-01 out of their A**es.
Why?
Because Star Wars did it !

Even my Friends that only on the sidelines followed Trek were turned off by this!...
"why does this ship look better then Kirks... why does it have Phaser and Photon Torpedos?... it's the same and looks better but is supposed to be older?... i don't like that!... the other ones where good but that one is stupid..."
Quotes from exactly the kind of people Paramount wanted to suck in with this Show!

Season 4 was the best Season "Trek" that was ever produced in my opinion,
but it was to little to late and still got cancelled.

In the next Series, plz start where ENT S4 did stop, the 3-Episode Arc Concept was GODLIKE!

....and that was the Problem of this Show.

Or you could say, they milked it dry.

45 Minute Trek Episodes just dont work anymore... everything you can do in 45 Minutes has been done before, either by Trek or by Stargate or by Bab5 or Andomeda or Farscape or whatever Alien of the Week 45 minute sci fi show you can think of....

...that was the lesson of ENT!

When they come up with the next one they better have a damn good Concept for the show... not just for the Pilot movie!