Lt. Commander
# 1 gfx suck on medium gaming rig
07-14-2010, 08:20 AM
So you bought STO and entered the game and noticed the graphics look shocking, even though you have a half decent rig?

Other games such as EQ2, you don't need an uber machine or uber graphics card to take advantage of the great graphics. Where in this game they dont even get close to the graphics there EQ2 ( yet the machine or game seems to chug along badly at most times. Is this lag from playing on an american server, when I am in the UK? I reckon this could be one of the reasons for my problem)

I turn up gfx for EQ2 and they have some pretty high demanding settings for the average machine. I never get any problems at all. Never get problems, and the speccs for that game running in uber stupid mode are far and in excess of this game. But what I want to know is, why are the speccs so high for a game with such bad graphics?

You turn the graphics up expecting them to be good, and they are not. Not only do they not look that much different but then we get choppiness going on all the time. So I am forced to reduce the settings back to wire mesh look.

My system can happily handle any modern game at high or very high / uber settings with no problems. But this game I get nothing but choppy stuff happening, more particularly on landing party quests (which I hate, everything looks aweful!!). The graphics are just about on a par with wow, and we know wow has low system speccs even on the upper speccs they are still very low compared to this game.

Most people have said the same thing to me in game, its the game not your rig or card. If it can handle crysis maxed out then this game graphically pales in comparison to it.

Now the question is.

Is this game DirectX 10 compliant?
Is it able to be run under 64bit?
Is it even aware of the second, third or forth processor? Evidence so far points to single core. Which would explain the chopiness.

I run 8GB corsair ram , Windows 7 64 bit ultimate
I run in SLI mode Nvidia 8800GT, and the game struggles on this card, I tried out a lower specc card. the 9500GT and its the same deal with choppiness. but both can run EQ2 in uber brillant quality mode with no problems at all.

Anyone else have this problem, where you have to turn the uber bad looking gfx back down to wire mesh unfinished mode because of choppiness?

Please, only Cryptic support respond to this post, since its to you I am writing it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Cryptic rarely responds here, but the answer to DX10 is no not really, the game uses DX9. It's a 32bit process but it'll run under 64bits, like mostly everything else. Last anyone checked to my knowledge, the game'll use up to 2 cores/processors, anything more doesn't seem to affect frame rates.

As for chopiness, some Nvidia cards have been known to pretty choppy with this game. Some ATi as well mostly due to dynamic lighting issues. Though don't know why you'd ask Cryptic support only, cause I somehow doubt they're going to respond yes to your 'Anyone else have this problem' question.

On a post note, a friend of mine has been able to fix most of the chopiness by playing around with the light and shadow settings a bit. It still won't be max quality but it beats playing with nothing on. Anyways key to it's just adjusting things bit by bit either from max down or min up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-15-2010, 01:44 AM
Your right that you should have no problems with your GPU but you neglect to say what CPU you use. This can have a dramatic effect on the overall performance for games. I also play from the UK and have no problems with lag. Are you certain its bandwidth lag your getting and not just a rather slow CPU/FSB struggling to play the game?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-15-2010, 07:44 AM
play from Germany on 2 Different PC right now (to hot for my faster PC in my Room under the roof the other in the Basement is slower and there i cant have all Settings at max to have 45 fps or more)

on Ground Missions with Fox its alwasy laggin even with my best PC

but my GTX 260 is to slow too i think to run the Game as i want it too
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that you are using Win 7. I have a lesser machine running on XP 64 bit Pro and have no problems or lag whatsoever.

my comp:
amd 3.2GHZ dual core
4GB ocz ddr2
geforce 9600GT

this setup works great and the graphics are beautiful on my samsung led tv.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvantos View Post
I run in SLI mode Nvidia 8800GT, and the game struggles on this card, I tried out a lower specc card. the 9500GT and its the same deal with choppiness.

here's your problem...

8800GT in SLI is not even close to an 8800GTX

just spend 160 and get a gtx 460 or a bit more on a 465
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Crash View Post
Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that you are using Win 7. I have a lesser machine running on XP 64 bit Pro and have no problems or lag whatsoever.

my comp:
amd 3.2GHZ dual core
4GB ocz ddr2
geforce 9600GT

this setup works great and the graphics are beautiful on my samsung led tv.
you mean LCD tv with LED backlight...
I doubt you'd have a TV which is worth more than your pc...
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Actually i have a hunch that a GTX 285 may in fact be better than any GTX 4xx card.

Mainly because it has a much great bandwidth than the 4xx cards as it has a 512-bit memory interface which none of the 4xx has.

Because i swear STO ran better on my old 280 that wen't kaputt than on my new GTX 470 i have now.
Though it could just be that the drivers are still immature.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-16-2010, 09:46 AM
@ Mardoxx

Yes I do mean led tv. Specifically a Samsung 7000 series. It is sidelit led, not backlit. And yes, it is worth much, much more than my pc. In fact, I own many things that are far more valueable than my pc. Why whould you find that surprising?
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Don't bother buying the 465 GTX if you end up going that route. 460 GTX 1 GB is better (ad cheaper)