Lt. Commander
# 191
08-04-2010, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
No, this is about internal budgeting. In practical terms, if the artists weren't working on C-store items, then they would transfer one or more of them to a different project (Cryptic has at least one new unannounced game in development at this time).
That doesn't actually CREATE time or manpower, & that's the only thing that matters. Moving people off one project is going to slow the other project down. So unless they expect to keep postponing the other projects to make room for C-Store items, that's sketchy sounding. No matter how you try to spin it, unless money creates addition time or resources it's not going to allow them to make more content if it wasn't physically possible because of the limitations. Unless they use outsourcing.
Lt. Commander
# 192
08-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Hmmm... I think it all boils down to this:

Do you want the option to purchase "this" or "that" item (through CS), or do you want nothing at all?

As for those that are saying ships like the Constitution or Excelsior should have been included in the game from the beginning.. You do realize those ships are outdated POS rustbuckets..

Itd be like F/A-18 players expecting to have BF109s and P-51s in the game...
Lt. Commander
# 193
08-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Quote:

Do you want the option to purchase "this" or "that" item (through CS), or do you want nothing at all?

As for those that are saying ships like the Constitution or Excelsior should have been included in the game from the beginning.. You do realize those ships are outdated POS rustbuckets..

So the Excelsior is more outdated than a Miranda or a Constitution Refit? Please at least take 2 min to think what you typing. There was no logic behind not having them earlier. We were told it was CBS but I say it was deliberate all the way. Why else they would be charging for them 6 months later?
Lt. Commander
# 194
08-04-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
So the Excelsior is more outdated than a Miranda or a Constitution Refit? Please at least take 2 min to think what you typing. There was no logic behind not having them earlier. We were told it was CBS but I say it was deliberate all the way. Why else they would be charging for them 6 months later?
And the Miranda and Constitution R are top of the line ships?

If anything the Excelsior should be a T2 ship, maybe T3.. Is that what you want?

Regardless, I understand what D said.. If they are working on say, Breen ships and soldiers, and people keep asking for ... Excelsior or whatever (even some that wants the NX, lol), they need to pause whatever they are doing to add the ship.. Then the same people moaning for the ship, will complain when the missions are bugged and halfbaked..

What is the next? People that want Cochranes modified ICBM? What about a flyable US Space Shuttle? Saturn V rocket? Eagle Lander? Sputnik Satelite?

Seriously, we have people that want playable Romulans, Breen, Jem Hadar, Cardassians, Borg (lol).. And preferably with 1000s of perfect, flawless missions to go with it.. Oh and they wanted it yesterday.

Some advice: If you expect nothing, you wont get dissapointed.
Lt. Commander
# 195
08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
And the Miranda and Constitution R are top of the line ships?

If anything the Excelsior should be a T2 ship, maybe T3.. Is that what you want?

Regardless, I understand what D said.. If they are working on say, Breen ships and soldiers, and people keep asking for ... Excelsior or whatever (even some that wants the NX, lol), they need to pause whatever they are doing to add the ship.. Then the same people moaning for the ship, will complain when the missions are bugged and halfbaked..

What is the next? People that want Cochranes modified ICBM? What about a flyable US Space Shuttle? Saturn V rocket? Eagle Lander? Sputnik Satelite?

Seriously, we have people that want playable Romulans, Breen, Jem Hadar, Cardassians, Borg (lol).. And preferably with 1000s of perfect, flawless missions to go with it.. Oh and they wanted it yesterday.

Some advice: If you expect nothing, you wont get dissapointed.

The problem is they are chargin extra for stuff (some of which is garbage) AND making garbage content.

Heck, most of the stuff at launch was garbage.

The problem is that the game was released way too early and half-baked. Then they started adding stuff to the C-Store. A $20 game plus subscription should not have $140 worth of stuff in the C-Store. And maybe if they had spent more time developing the game, they wouldn't be having so many problems.

I, personally, don't think that its outrageous for a community of Star Trek fans to want an iconic Star Trek ship that has been in like half the movies and half the TV series for no EXTRA charge. We are already paying them, that is why this is a P2P MMO.

As for expecting nothing, I don't pay them to just give me whatever, I pay them for good quality content. Not garbage content and paying extra for good stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 196
08-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksunG View Post
That doesn't actually CREATE time or manpower, & that's the only thing that matters. Moving people off one project is going to slow the other project down. So unless they expect to keep postponing the other projects to make room for C-Store items, that's sketchy sounding. No matter how you try to spin it, unless money creates addition time or resources it's not going to allow them to make more content if it wasn't physically possible because of the limitations.
Sigh. Let me reduce this to primary school level for you.

Income from subscriptions per month: 5 cabbages.
Income from C-store per month: 1 cabbages.

Monthly salary of an artist/designer: 1 cabbage

Number of artists/designers working on a game currently: 6
Number of artists/designers who would be working on that game if they did not have the C-store: 5

Amount of content pieces that one artist/designer can create per week: 1
Amount of free content pieces currently created per month: 20
Amount of C-store content pieces currently created per month: 4
Amount of free content pieces that would be created per month if they did not have the C-store: 20
Amount of C-store content pieces that would be created per month if they did not have the C-store: 0
Lt. Commander
# 197
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksunG View Post
That doesn't actually CREATE time or manpower, & that's the only thing that matters.
Agreed.

If Tom works on a C-Store item, Cryptic has to pay him for the time he spends making that item. The dynamics of the item. Mapping the item. The Computer he makes the item on. Testing the item. Patching the item to the C-Store. And when all that is said...Paying the transaction cost, being credit card or paypal.

It would seem that the money Cryptic makes off of an item goes to pay the costs for Tom and all of the above.

By all that is said and done, how much did Cryptic make off of the item?

I would love to see the actual numbers. But by an educated guess, it would seem that the amount spend on creating the item comes close to breaking even, unless the item is the Galaxy X, or a 1200 CP ship, of course.
Lt. Commander
# 198
08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
Sigh. Let me reduce this to primary school level for you.

Number of artists/designers working on a game currently: 6
Number of artists/designers who would be working on that game if they did not have the C-store: 5

Amount of content pieces that one artist/designer can create per week: 1
Amount of free content pieces that would be created per month if they did not have the C-store: 20
Amount of C-store content pieces that would be created per month if they did not have the C-store: 0
Unless of Course

Number of artists/designers working on a game currently: 5

Amount of good quality content pieces that one artist/designer can create per week: 1
Amount of bad quality content pieces that one artist/designer can create per week: 2

(On a scale of 1= Bad to 10= Good)
Quality of free content pieces currently created per month: 5
Quality of C-store content pieces currently created per month: 5
Quality of free content pieces that would be created per month if they did not have the C-store: 10
Quality of C-store content pieces that would be created per month if they did not have the C-store: 0
Lt. Commander
# 199
08-05-2010, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
(On a scale of 1= Bad to 10= Good)
Quality of free content pieces currently created per month: 5
Quality of C-store content pieces currently created per month: 5
Quality of free content pieces that would be created per month if they did not have the C-store: 10
Quality of C-store content pieces that would be created per month if they did not have the C-store: 0
You are supposing that Cryptic is incompetent at budgeting and that their employees have a "linear relationship between quality and speed" dial on the back of their heads. That's a stretch.
Lt. Commander
# 200
08-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post

With all due respect, you've obviously never worked with or around the wonderful Mattel product known as the F/A-18 Hornet. I would have to put my money on the P-51.