Lt. Commander
# 201
08-05-2010, 01:49 AM
I agree: Ships should not be sold in the C-Store

It started with STO's sparkly pony, the Galaxy X.

But of course, it did not stop there. Right now they give players extreme incentives to rather buy than play for their T5 Retrofits.

But no, 1200 C-Store points. This translates into 13,05 EUR if you want to have the two other Refits that have been artificially limited for no other reason but to milk the fanbase to the max.

The extra money does not even translate into more people working on STO or improved content or quality, just take a look at the Defiant and Intrepid bridges. The latter one does not even look like the one on the Voyager at all, and the BOs are standing on consoles or chairs. Then think of the long list of bugs introduced and re-introduced with Season 2, and that it took them exactly till Season 2 to fix the empty Secure System missions in B'Tran.

Star Trek Online is a very expensive game.

Guild Wars blows the game out of the water in every regard and comes with a one-time fee.
World of ******** and other MMOs can make do with a monthly fee.
DDO and LOTRO are or will go "Free 2 Play".

Star Trek Online has the Star Trek IP going for it, but the C-Store policy becomes ever more aggressive, as if SUB + SHOP would not already be enough double dipping!
Lt. Commander
# 202
08-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
You are supposing that Cryptic is incompetent at budgeting and that their employees have a "linear relationship between quality and speed" dial on the back of their heads. That's a stretch.
You are supposing there is no drop in quality even when they are making more content, a stretch as well.

As for quality of content, well, the game isn't exactly top notch.
Lt. Commander
# 203
08-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
You are supposing there is no drop in quality even when they are making more content, a stretch as well.
No. Simply that 5 artists can draw 5 ships in the same amount of time that 4 artists can draw 4 ships, which is not at all difficult to believe.
Lt. Commander
# 204
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longasc
World of ******** and other MMOs can make do with a monthly fee.
Oh please. $25 horse. They made millions.
Lt. Commander
# 205
08-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Quote:
No. Simply that 5 artists can draw 5 ships in the same amount of time that 4 artists can draw 4 ships, which is not at all difficult to believe.
Nor is it a stretch to believe that a lesser amount of good content can come out in the same time and resources as a greater amount of poor content.

Quote:
They could have done just as well without it, their MT was recent.
Lt. Commander
# 206
08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
I mentioned the sparkly pony, you should have noticed that.

Yeah, Cryptic and Sony had nothing better to do than to copy this. Thanks to the suckers who do not mind supporting such rip-offs it worked off indeed. And set a bad precedent for the future.
Lt. Commander
# 207
08-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longasc
I mentioned the sparkly pony, you should have noticed that.

Yeah, Cryptic and Sony had nothing better to do than to copy this. Thanks to the suckers who do not mind supporting such rip-offs it worked off indeed. And set a bad precedent for the future.
The Galaxy X being placed in the C-store has become the downfall, if you will, of STO. I am not saying that the game is going to fail, what I am saying is that this hurt the faith of the player base more than "Sale-gate" and the "exclusive-gate" combined.

The Galaxy X has made Star **** Online. If you want to add the "Trek", then that is going to be at an extra cost. What is also harmful, is all the people begging, let me say that again, BEGGING for Cryptic to place items in the C-Store.

How quickly people forget that they pay a month subsription for STO.
Lt. Commander
# 208
08-05-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm an avid supporter of cryptic and probably always will. I have purchased almost everything on the c-store, both for my account and my sons. It adds up, I agree, I do however totally understand Dstahls' perspective cost/time offsets have to be established hence the cstore. What I think personally is keep the cstore but make things more fairly priced, imo anything more than five dollars for a ship is ridiculous especially when I'm paying for it twice lol , but in order to compromise put them all in game and make it an arduous grind to achieve.. you'll keep your revenue from those that want it now and then those that don't want to pay can work for it.
Lt. Commander
# 209
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
They could have done just as well without it, their MT was recent.
Blizzard has been selling realm transfers for as long as I can remember, and these are a major aspect of the game economy (since people use them to transport resources in to newer realms from older, inflationary ones)

They don't explain how it all works to the community the way that Cryptic do, but it's always been a huge part of their revenue stream.
Lt. Commander
# 210
08-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Quote:
The problem is they are chargin extra for stuff (some of which is garbage) AND making garbage content.

Heck, most of the stuff at launch was garbage.

The problem is that the game was released way too early and half-baked. Then they started adding stuff to the C-Store. A $20 game plus subscription should not have $140 worth of stuff in the C-Store. And maybe if they had spent more time developing the game, they wouldn't be having so many problems.

I, personally, don't think that its outrageous for a community of Star Trek fans to want an iconic Star Trek ship that has been in like half the movies and half the TV series for no EXTRA charge. We are already paying them, that is why this is a P2P MMO.

As for expecting nothing, I don't pay them to just give me whatever, I pay them for good quality content. Not garbage content and paying extra for good stuff.
Precisely, this "garbage" stuff you are talking about is just that for some people, garbage.

Most of the stuff is visual fluff, thats it.. Whatever "effect" it have on the gameplay is minor, the only exception being the Gal-X (But then that shouldnt have been added in the first place)

Most likely the next ships to be added (Excelsion and Nebula) will just be like another reskin.. They will have no effect on gameplay, except for the strictly visual.

Consider this:

I want content (particular on the Klingon side) - I want "my" part of the subscription fee to go to this..

Why should I want it to go to yet *another* ship for Feds to go with the 38 stock (including refits)- 1 CS bought one (Gal-X) - plus what? 6 more costumes on the CS - When I as Klingon have 14 in total (this counting Raptors, that isnt unique to their tier.. They all look the same)

You want more missions, yet have tons and tons of them (Klingons have what? 6 real missions?) - You want more nifty reward pieces, yet - again - have tons and tons of them allready...

IMO (outside bugbashing) 95% of the development should be directed at building Klingon content, so were atleast semi on-par with the UFP - Then that development should be directed at a 3rd playable faction - *Then* perhaps should the UFP get a revisit.

You just demand and demand and demand and crave and crave - You dont care one bit that the couple of sectors Klingons have access to are all but deserted (on a good day I see perhaps 4 or 5 people in the two "starter" sectors - Whereas on my Fed I see 10-15+ in *every* of the 30+ Sectors *you* have access to.

You deserve nothing, and you should get .. nothing, lest you pay for it yourself through the CS.

Look up the word "empathy"

/GG