Lt. Commander
# 211
08-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksunG View Post
That doesn't actually CREATE time or manpower, & that's the only thing that matters. Moving people off one project is going to slow the other project down. So unless they expect to keep postponing the other projects to make room for C-Store items, that's sketchy sounding. No matter how you try to spin it, unless money creates addition time or resources it's not going to allow them to make more content if it wasn't physically possible because of the limitations. Unless they use outsourcing.
finally some other people start to see through this C store thingy...

once again i m going to make it simple for everyone to understand...as we noticed...there s only one and only one team working on both in game contents and C store items. So when an artist is making a ship or costume for the C store, it s at the detriment of something else which could have been included for the subscription fee. so their whole story about C store items would not be here or delayed if they were not sold is pure garbage.

however I can see basically 2 or 3 explanations for this...

the first one is: it just makes more money by keeping the same number of staff. one artist makes 5 items per month...4 are going in game and one goes into the C store... the productivity is the same but you increase the benefit.

the second would be: they are trying to make more money so they can hire more people down the road...to improve the game.(i wish)

finally it could just be a real need to keep going with a minimal team... subscriptions might not be enough to keep the current staff on the payroll with just monthly fees.... if there are for example 5 dev at the moment with the C store... it might be down to 4 without it....so maybe they don t have the choice...
Lt. Commander
# 212
08-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatici
finally it could just be a real need to keep going with a minimal team... subscriptions might not be enough to keep the current staff on the payroll with just monthly fees.... if there are for example 5 dev at the moment with the C store... it might be down to 4 without it....so maybe they don t have the choice...
This case is also very likely. It would also mean that STO is doomed to be shut down by a bean counter. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday.

There is also a 4th option and that is both Cryptic and Atari are just greedy and do not wish to re-invest any money back into STO. If the game can function for $500,000 a month and subs and C-store bring in $2 Million, they both take the difference and run leaveing the game with minimal manning so that they can milk STO for as long as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 213
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelineAaele View Post
Precisely, this "garbage" stuff you are talking about is just that for some people, garbage.

Most of the stuff is visual fluff, thats it.. Whatever "effect" it have on the gameplay is minor, the only exception being the Gal-X (But then that shouldnt have been added in the first place)

Most likely the next ships to be added (Excelsion and Nebula) will just be like another reskin.. They will have no effect on gameplay, except for the strictly visual.

Consider this:

I want content (particular on the Klingon side) - I want "my" part of the subscription fee to go to this..

Why should I want it to go to yet *another* ship for Feds to go with the 38 stock (including refits)- 1 CS bought one (Gal-X) - plus what? 6 more costumes on the CS - When I as Klingon have 14 in total (this counting Raptors, that isnt unique to their tier.. They all look the same)

You want more missions, yet have tons and tons of them (Klingons have what? 6 real missions?) - You want more nifty reward pieces, yet - again - have tons and tons of them allready...

IMO (outside bugbashing) 95% of the development should be directed at building Klingon content, so were atleast semi on-par with the UFP - Then that development should be directed at a 3rd playable faction - *Then* perhaps should the UFP get a revisit.

You just demand and demand and demand and crave and crave - You dont care one bit that the couple of sectors Klingons have access to are all but deserted (on a good day I see perhaps 4 or 5 people in the two "starter" sectors - Whereas on my Fed I see 10-15+ in *every* of the 30+ Sectors *you* have access to.

You deserve nothing, and you should get .. nothing, lest you pay for it yourself through the CS.

Look up the word "empathy"

/GG
Where did I say I don't want Klingon content? I want Klingon Content, I hate the fact that there barely is any. The only reason I don't play as a Klingon is that ranking up is either boring or takes forever or both. What I don't want is to pay the company to produce content and then charge me extra for it. I shouldn't have to pay for a subscription AND the C-Store.

(BTW, try to calm down and not go into a Klingon rant if you don't know about peoples opinions.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
Blizzard has been selling realm transfers for as long as I can remember, and these are a major aspect of the game economy (since people use them to transport resources in to newer realms from older, inflationary ones)

They don't explain how it all works to the community the way that Cryptic do, but it's always been a huge part of their revenue stream.
Blizzard only recently started selling items/pets, I have no problem with services, content is a different matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_SNIPER View Post
This case is also very likely. It would also mean that STO is doomed to be shut down by a bean counter. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday.

There is also a 4th option and that is both Cryptic and Atari are just greedy and do not wish to re-invest any money back into STO. If the game can function for $500,000 a month and subs and C-store bring in $2 Million, they both take the difference and run leaveing the game with minimal manning so that they can milk STO for as long as possible.
Agreed.
Lt. Commander
# 214
08-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
Where did I say I don't want Klingon content? I want Klingon Content, I hate the fact that there barely is any. The only reason I don't play as a Klingon is that ranking up is either boring or takes forever or both. What I don't want is to pay the company to produce content and then charge me extra for it. I shouldn't have to pay for a subscription AND the C-Store.

(BTW, try to calm down and not go into a Klingon rant if you don't know about peoples opinions.)

My point was that you have a LOT of content, you have a LOT of ships, rewards, sectors et al.

Yet you (well Feds generally) post page up and page down about what you want...

Every time another trinket is added for Feds, its less developertime spent on Klingon content.. Something that is in dire need.. A *lot* of Klingons have either stopped playing, or are spending 90% of their time on Fed toons (Ive done so myself, only went back to Klingon for those 6 missions - Which Ive completed now on both toons - Now I have nothing to do ... again)

A serious investment is needed for Klingons, unless you want this to be UFP Online.
Lt. Commander
# 215
08-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Quote:
My point was that you have a LOT of content, you have a LOT of ships, rewards, sectors et al.

Every time another trinket is added for Feds, its less developertime spent on Klingon content.. Something that is in dire need.. A *lot* of Klingons have either stopped playing, or are spending 90% of their time on Fed toons (Ive done so myself, only went back to Klingon for those 6 missions - Which Ive completed now on both toons - Now I have nothing to do ... again)

A serious investment is needed for Klingons, unless you want this to be UFP Online.
I want less C-Store content and more in-game content. How does that make me just a UFP player who wants tons of content. I want content for BOTH sides.

I want Klingon content, I support Klingon content and the only reason I don't play Klingon is that there is next to no content. Stop freaking out and attacking me for no apparent reason. And stop saying "you have a LOT of content, you have a LOT of ships, rewards, sectors et al." as if I'm just some Fed toon who only wants more fed stuff. I want more content and so do you.

I want LESS C-Store content and more Klingon content.

(Acting as if every person on these forums is just some crazy Fed ranting bout how they need more content isn't going to make you any friends)
Lt. Commander
# 216
08-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:

I understand where you are comming from. The Klingons have been, and still are, getting the perverbial shaft. It has been 6 months since launch and only minor increase in content for the Klingons. I fear the day when the Romulans are relased. (95% Explore, 5% actuall missions????)

Who you really need to blame is Cryptic, they are the ones who continue to ignore the Klingons. User Generated Content (UGC) will be the only relief the Klingon side gets.

The Down fall of UGC is that it gets Cryptic off the hook of making new content for any faction.
Lt. Commander
# 217
08-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
I want less C-Store content and more in-game content. How does that make me just a UFP player who wants tons of content. I want content for BOTH sides.

I want Klingon content, I support Klingon content and the only reason I don't play Klingon is that there is next to no content. Stop freaking out and attacking me for no apparent reason. And stop saying "you have a LOT of content, you have a LOT of ships, rewards, sectors et al." as if I'm just some Fed toon who only wants more fed stuff. I want more content and so do you.

I want LESS C-Store content and more Klingon content.

(Acting as if every person on these forums is just some crazy Fed ranting bout how they need more content isn't going to make you any friends)

So..

Youd be cool with zero Dev attention whatsoever (besides bug-bashes) for say... 6 months.. While they bring the Klingons up to par? How about another 6-12 months after that so they can add the nexrt playable species, and bring it up to par?

I can tell you now, the vast majority of the UFP players wouldnt agree to this.. Their primary arguement would be "Why should the Devs spend time on the KDF, when its population is a minority" - I know this, because Ive seen it in other MMOs.

Its an evil circle, the lack of players make the creation of content seem "wasteful", the lack of content, makes more people leave.

As for the CS issue, I have no problem with it, if its just "visual" things..
The Imperial Assaultcruiser costume is visual, dont care if its in CS or not.
Tellarite/Trill/Ferengi playable species are visual, dotn care if theyre in CS or not.
Etc etc

Besides a few of the D2D bonus items you can get in CS, I see only one item that stands out.. The Galaxy-X. This shouldnt have been in CS, imo it shouldnt be in the game either (by far the worst design ever - Cloak and Spinal Phaser are just lamesauce) - The 5 new fed ships (3 refits, 2 regular ships) shouldnt have been added either - Maybe later, but definately not at this point in time.

My apologies for letting off the steam at you, Ive just been sitting on my hands for the past 6 months, seeing the 2 Klingon zones becoming more and more vacated. I fear that at some point we will reach a breakingpoint where no amount of content will save the KDF faction. I can tell you that its on the edge as we speak.. When I do Fleetbattles there are a total of 1 ship in the zone, when I do Kerrat I rarely see more than 2 Klingons competing against 5-10 Feds, if I do 10 PvP matches I see the same 5-7 Klingon players and perhaps 15-25 different Feds
Lt. Commander
# 218
08-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Quote:
So..

Youd be cool with zero Dev attention whatsoever (besides bug-bashes) for say... 6 months.. While they bring the Klingons up to par? How about another 6-12 months after that so they can add the nexrt playable species, and bring it up to par?

I can tell you now, the vast majority of the UFP players wouldnt agree to this.. Their primary arguement would be "Why should the Devs spend time on the KDF, when its population is a minority" - I know this, because Ive seen it in other MMOs.

Its an evil circle, the lack of players make the creation of content seem "wasteful", the lack of content, makes more people leave.

As for the CS issue, I have no problem with it, if its just "visual" things..
The Imperial Assaultcruiser costume is visual, dont care if its in CS or not.
Tellarite/Trill/Ferengi playable species are visual, dotn care if theyre in CS or not.
Etc etc

Besides a few of the D2D bonus items you can get in CS, I see only one item that stands out.. The Galaxy-X. This shouldnt have been in CS, imo it shouldnt be in the game either (by far the worst design ever - Cloak and Spinal Phaser are just lamesauce) - The 5 new fed ships (3 refits, 2 regular ships) shouldnt have been added either - Maybe later, but definately not at this point in time.

My apologies for letting off the steam at you, Ive just been sitting on my hands for the past 6 months, seeing the 2 Klingon zones becoming more and more vacated. I fear that at some point we will reach a breakingpoint where no amount of content will save the KDF faction. I can tell you that its on the edge as we speak.. When I do Fleetbattles there are a total of 1 ship in the zone, when I do Kerrat I rarely see more than 2 Klingons competing against 5-10 Feds, if I do 10 PvP matches I see the same 5-7 Klingon players and perhaps 15-25 different Feds
I would be cool with a major focus on the Klingon side and a minor focus on the UFP side, but not zero DEV attention. But I definitely wouldn't be cool having to wait a whole 6-12 months to make another faction.

I know how you feel, I made a Klingon character at launch and din't start playing him again until a month ago, because well, Klingon side sucks right now.

AS for the C-Store, if it was just visual stuff, I wouldn't have a problem for the most part. But it just isn't, there are too many things with unique in-game effects in the C-Store.

Races with unique traits, ships with unique abilities, unique weapons, etc.

And it doesn't help that one of the main arguments by Cryptic is that they need it "to justify new art and content. Otherwise we would have to wait for them to make content that required it." That is all well and good, but correct me if I'm wrong, Ferengi and Klingon characters were already in missions at launch, so why did they have to charge for them?
Lt. Commander
# 219
08-10-2010, 05:38 AM
most people wouldnt have had to pay for them at launch as most people got 500 cp free and thats way more than both of em cost!
Lt. Commander
# 220
08-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdman22 View Post
most people wouldnt have had to pay for them at launch as most people got 500 cp free and thats way more than both of em cost!
IŽm not exactly sure what you mean, but the two ships in the store cost 800/2000 points.