Lt. Commander
# 31
07-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I have to disagree with that statement. We've made 3 updates including new content to the game since launch, and are about to launch another one. Of those updates, none of them have had any extra cost to you. Seasons 1, 1.1, 1.2, and 2, are all updates which included new content to Star Trek Online at no additional cost to you.

Thanks,

Stormshade
But you dont want us to be extra thankfull for regular MMO updates that are coverd by the monthly fee?

Maybe you shouldnt have started to push that much stuff into C-Store while the rest of the game needs a lot of work customization wise and content wise.

So I dont have to disagree with your post but I have to point out that advertising free updates that are free in any MMO with monthly fee is like a car dealer pointing out that YOUR car will be delivered with FOUR WHEELES

I stick to my point that C-Store should be a option and everything should be obtainable by playing the game (mid / longterm goals)
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-15-2010, 05:01 AM
ty so mutch for making this post, be prepaired for every carear officer on the forums to jump on you wit"but poor broke cryptic needs money" or"its only a few dollars"
but i dont think complaining on these forums will help mutch, if we got a big group of gamers and complained directly to someone at atari? i think that just may get something done abbout this blood sucking of paying customers
Lt. Commander
# 33
07-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
I have to disagree with that statement. We've made 3 updates including new content to the game since launch, and are about to launch another one. Of those updates, none of them have had any extra cost to you. Seasons 1, 1.1, 1.2, and 2, are all updates which included new content to Star Trek Online at no additional cost to you.

Thanks,

Stormshade
you're being paid a monthly subscription for what precisely?

your arguement is invalid

/the end
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-15-2010, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi
Maybe you shouldnt have started to push that much stuff into C-Store while the rest of the game needs a lot of work customization wise and content wise.
So, you'd prefer not to have the ships at all then?
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK-187
you're being paid a monthly subscription for what precisely?

your arguement is invalid

/the end
Servers, pay cheques, various other major needs. C-Store is funds needed to generate other content, since sub fees are being sent to more costly parts of the dev team.
Lt. Commander
# 36
07-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roche_Furman
Servers, pay cheques, various other major needs. C-Store is funds needed to generate other content, since sub fees are being sent to more costly parts of the dev team.
this game is so light on content that 56 out of the 57 fleet members that i have a character in, left the game after one month of playing, most of them won't be returning, the others have gone back to other mmo's. thats a 2% retention rate (roughly)

i do know what you're getting at, and i understand the purposes / reasoning behind the c-store, however i'm still of a firm belief that ships / starbases, etc are content that should be freely available. people should have other options, such as zodi has suggested, to gain these ships, if cryptic is determined to go along this route.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK-187

i do know what you're getting at, and i understand the purposes / reasoning behind the c-store, however i'm still of a firm belief that ships / starbases, etc are content that should be freely available. people should have other options, such as zodi has suggested, to gain these ships, if cryptic is determined to go along this route.
I guess I've just become numb to theis stort of thing over the years. Maybe your right. But I kind of like the C-Store. Would I like more free stuff, sure, who wouldn't? As long as some of the things are reasonably priced, I'll look the other way for now.

I did buy the Gal-X, but I had $25 burning a hole in my pocket, and thought "Why not? It'll be fun to goof around in it some times".
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru

You mean like that horse they just sold for $25?
That is an exception to the rule. Over the last 6 odd years Blizzard have added a huge amount of content to WOW paid for solely by the subscription rates and expansion packs. A few items out of 6 years of extra content and support has very little relevance, spitting in the ocean comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
Let's be completely clear about this: if they did not put these ships in the C-store, then you would not get them for free. You would simply not get them at all, since there would be no additional money to pay for their development.
So you really believe that all the money that Cryptic gets from subscriptions is not enough to cover their operating costs and continued development? If this is the case then that would suggest that Cryptic have lost a very considerable number of subscribers.

There are MMO's out there that have less subscribers and charge a lower subscription, yet still manage to develop extra content on a much more regular basis.
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi
But you dont want us to be extra thankfull for regular MMO updates that are coverd by the monthly fee?
What he is saying is that we should be on our hands and knees thanking the wonderful Cryptic for actually providing content paid for by subscriptions.

What Stormshade ignores is that a large part of those updates are things that should have actually been in game from launch, for example Klingon episodes, the Big Dig and DS9 fleet actions, accolades, etc.

From another post he made, he gives the impression that we should also be thankful that they provided bug fixes, minor changes, etc for free.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafoc View Post
That is an exception to the rule.
They've been selling realm transfers for years.

Quote:
So you really believe that all the money that Cryptic gets from subscriptions is not enough to cover their operating costs and continued development?
No, it's precisely enough to cover all costs and content development except the C-store content. They spend exactly the money they have. We call this "budgeting".