Lt. Commander
# 1 Excelsior C-Store Compromise
07-14-2010, 07:24 PM
The Excelsior is my favorite Starfleet Cruiser; I figured I would go ahead and get this out of the way. Since learning the Excelsior will be released sometime soon-ish... I have become excited that our game will finally be graced with such a lovely ship, but also disheartened to learn that it will become a C-Store item. I will not take credit for this idea, it is not mine-- but I feel it has a lot of merit considering the situation of such an iconic ship, and will post my spin on this idea. Hopefully we can have more discussion on the topic.

In my opinion, the Excelsior is too iconic of a ship not be added to the core game as a free item -- this ship was seen in the TOS Movies and even carried the name Enterprise. What more pedigree could a starship ever need? I offer and suggest that the Excelsior be added to the game, for free, as either a tier2 or tier3 ship. It would fit easiest into the tier2 model, but power-wise and canon-wise, I believe it has more of a home as a tier3 vessel. But the problem is that the Excelsior wouldn't blend well with the customization options available in that tier -- Heavy Cruisers are four-nacelled and drastically different than the Excelsior.

The easiest solution to that dilemma would be to give the Excelsior its own class, not Heavy Warship, so the Excelsior would not be customizable with the other Heavy Cruisers. Allow the Excelsior to be boosted by the Heavy Cruiser command skill, however, instead of adding a new Command skill just for the Excelsior.

My other suggestion is to introduce the refit Excelsior (such as seen in DS9) as a ship costume for T5 Assault Cruisers.

Another idea is to release the refit Excelsior as its own independent ship. My suggestion is to give it equivalent hull and shield strength as other Tier5 Cruisers, but the Ensign slot could be Universal. It would have no other special powers, like the currently slated refits. I'd suggest it having a lesser crew compliment, around 500 personnel, and only 3 aft weapons. Increase it's turn rate by 1 or 2 over Assault/Star Cruisers, and I believe it would be a balanced ship -- no better than other T5 ships. It would run either the Assault or Star Cruiser command skill.

This will allow the Excelsior to be enjoyed by everyone in the leveling process, and also provide a unique and interesting alternative to allow it to be usable at a competitive playing field and thus a very hot C-Store item, one I would be willing to purchase.

Thoughts? I ask to please keep the discussion civil, and not turn this thread into a war over C-Store policies or debating why people like the Excelsior. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I want it as a Tier 3 Cruiser.

Because it would be the logical progression!

Miranda -> Constitution -> Excelsior -> (Ambassador -> ) Galaxy -> Sovereign

(ok ambassador can be skipped... or if ever then as variant for the Galaxy Class, it is close enough in Design)

The Excelsior Refit (like Enterprise-B) as a Tier 5 Refit Cruiser... special ability? uuuhm...
cooldown of every ability set to "arrives on Tuesday"?

I also want the Excelsior as Tier 3 BECAUSE there are only these ugly 4 necelled Ships in there...!
I hated those designs the most in the whole Cruiser progression... as OPTION... sure fine, but beeing forced to fly those things? *meh*
I rushed through that part of the game only to finally get the Galaxy Class.

I dont care if it will be a C-Store ship or not... i will buy any C-Store items anyway... as long as they arent overpriced like the Galaxy-X (but then i just need to wait until the forums burned down ;P)
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
I want it as a Tier 3 Cruiser.

Because it would be the logical progression!

Miranda -> Constitution -> Excelsior -> (Ambassador -> ) Galaxy -> Sovereign

(ok ambassador can be skipped... or if ever then as variant for the Galaxy Class, it is close enough in Design)

The Excelsior Refit (like Enterprise-B) as a Tier 5 Refit Cruiser... special ability? uuuhm...
cooldown of every ability set to "arrives on Tuesday"?

I also want the Excelsior as Tier 3 BECAUSE there are only these ugly 4 necelled Ships in there...!
I hated those designs the most in the whole Cruiser progression... as OPTION... sure fine, but beeing forced to fly those things? *meh*
I rushed through that part of the game only to finally get the Galaxy Class.

I dont care if it will be a C-Store ship or not... i will buy any C-Store items anyway... as long as they arent overpriced like the Galaxy-X (but then i just need to wait until the forums burned down ;P)
I would most certainly want it in some form as a T5 ship...There's nothing worse than buying the CE of STO and learning that the TOS Enterprise is a T1 ship and cannot follow you throught the game...and that they decided to release it to the general public.

Secondly, if they release it as a T3 ship as you suggest, I would almost certainly have a fit if that was it, so the idea of both a T3 and T5 is a nice one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-15-2010, 09:19 PM
If you get an exclesior for free then I want a real life, life size, anotomically correct Ezri doll for free. But sense it's not going to be free, I guess I'll never get my Ezri doll
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarium View Post
If you get an exclesior for free then I want a real life, life size, anotomically correct Ezri doll for free. But sense it's not going to be free, I guess I'll never get my Ezri doll
Oh, this is a compromise. Adding the Excelsior to the game for "free" like it should be in the first place, while adding a ship-costume/full-fledged ship for Tier5 that would indeed be in the C-Store and will sell extremely well.

It's a completely win/win scenario for both players of the game and for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-16-2010, 04:38 AM
I think adding ships to the game as anything less than end game items is quite frankly idiotic. If you add them as lower tier ships, don't bother adding them at all. I'm not going to go level another character just to fly around in the ship.

It's pretty obvious that the out leveling of ships is leading to alot of concern with the fans who generally speaking love the classic ships they know and see on the tv shows. They need a refit system in game so that you can always be in your favorite ship no matter what level you are at. This is a core component of the game that needs to be changed. The easiest thing to do would be to make the new ships costumes of current cruisers and future ones as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-16-2010, 06:16 AM
meh let us spend our accoalade points on them