Lt. Commander
# 11
07-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck_of_many_things View Post
...ALWAYS having to follow ONE track in MMOs bothers me...
Same here, but progress in this can only be accomplished slowly and without rocking the boat... baby steps.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Next faction.... In between!!! mwa haa haaa
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=163824

I brought up the idea of a rogue faction but it met with mixed results lol
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-15-2010, 10:36 AM
whatever path you choose could gain(or lose) faction standing or racial...whatever.
(could even gain the trust of a race so much that they give you one of thier ships to fly... that would be a great reward for grinding faction)

bee cool if decisions you make affect how others respond to you....
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightw8 View Post
I brought up the idea of a rogue faction but it met with mixed results lol
I'd call that poetic justice, you wanted in-between and gray and you got just that

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post
...be cool if decisions you make affect how others respond to you....
Agreed, it's about time somebody added some (more) RPG into our MMORPG's
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Ok, it sounds like a good idea, but it sounds, again, too much like Mass Effect-STO. As interesting as it sounds, it would seem like this could just rapidly degenerate into the same kind of generic mess that the star cluster missions are: i.e. same exact mission, different dressing every time. I'm not programmer, but I can imagine that the development logistics of having a mission start at one place, send you to another place, then back to the original place, might just be too prohibitive and might divert developer resources from working on other funner, more needed game assets.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaf12 View Post
Ok, it sounds like a good idea, but it sounds, again, too much like Mass Effect-STO. As interesting as it sounds, it would seem like this could just rapidly degenerate into the same kind of generic mess that the star cluster missions are: i.e. same exact mission, different dressing every time. I'm not programmer, but I can imagine that the development logistics of having a mission start at one place, send you to another place, then back to the original place, might just be too prohibitive and might divert developer resources from working on other funner, more needed game assets.
Theres SUPPOSED to be a reason behind the RPG part of MMORPG, and its not supposed to be made up by the player base, its supposed to be provided by the game.
Yes, it would be mass effecty, but thats because thats a good RPG system.
MMOs by contrast, usually arent, especially when the RP community is looked down upon for doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaf12 View Post
...I'm not programmer, but I can imagine that the development logistics of having a mission start at one place, send you to another place, then back to the original place, might just be too prohibitive and might divert developer resources from working on other funner, more needed game assets.
The development logistics should not be more cumbersome than putting a flag in the diplomatic mission that halts its progress once you choose to undertake the more combat-oriented sub-mission. The sub-mission itself would probably be carried out in an adjacent star system, or star-cluster, but this should be any different than any of the other Patrol missions.

In essence, the Diplomatic mission would for all intents and purposes become a one-system patrol, while the sub-mission could be something like a Secure System, Anomaly Scan or whatever else the designer chose to explicitly specify or has decided to include in a list of mission templates that STO can randomly select for us.

I think the technology for all this is already in place, but that's of course something dStahl can confirm, deny or ignore.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Me like idea
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I like the concept but the entire point of these diplomatic missions was to open up non combat for those of us who wants it. Sticking combat back into the equation would be rather counter productive. I like the idea of being given subplots and perhaps some. . .underhanded. . .diplomacy.

~D