Lt. Commander
# 31
07-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
and define how the c store is game breaking for anyone?
its content. its is no different then other MMOs that do the same.
nothing is, or does allow one to be OP over another player.

do i get a +10 awesome bonus for wearing the TOS uniform? nope.

the game can still be played without any of the c store items.

i get the idea of your post, but until they start to offer game altering mechanical items, it is full of fluff and nothing more then that. and if you dont want it, dont buy it. if you do, then buy it.
How many other successful western MMO's use MT's for me to measure STO against? WoW doesn't have them, neither do Eve, PotBS, and as far as i know neither do FFXI and Everquest. If those games can manage to create new content, expansions, and more with a basic subscription, why can't a new game like STO do it?

My problem with the C-store is that they're trying to emulate a model used by eastern (more specifically S. Korean) companies in the hopes that western players behave like they do in korea. How many people here have tried the F2P games that are out there? They're sub par in almost everyway, at a price that can't be beat. I feel gouged, and this game and the company running it aren't going in the direction i hoped at all. I'm seriously thinking about going back to WoW or PotBS and staying there. At least they don't grab money at every turn.
Lt. Commander
# 32
07-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
How many other successful western MMO's use MT's for me to measure STO against? WoW doesn't have them, neither do Eve, PotBS, and as far as i know neither do FFXI and Everquest. If those games can manage to create new content, expansions, and more with a basic subscription, why can't a new game like STO do it? .......
but they charge for each of those expansions.

with the C-Store way, they can add free content to STO and still drive revenue ..... so as " I " am not really interested in c-store items as of yet....I get free expansions...paid for by you guys....the c-store shoppers.

...thank you very much *hugs

Lt. Commander
# 33
07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post
but they charge for each of those expansions.

with the C-Store way, they can add free content to STO and still drive revenue ..... so as " I " am not really interested in c-store items as of yet....I get free expansions...paid for by you guys....the c-store shoppers.

...thank you very much *hugs

You think expansions for STO is going to be free? You're joking right?
Lt. Commander
# 34
07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
The concern is not so much that they are OMGWTFPWNZOR!-level game-breaking. They are slightly advantageous, they give a slight advantage.*
The only race with any trait people find useful is the Joined Trill. And even they are inferior to Aliens that you make with the basic game. It's why the KDF is made up of so many aliens.

Pakleds and Tellarites get ground based racial bonuses. No one wants those. Just like the Klingon race, and the Gorn (who are forced to take THREE ground based traits) are all ground focused. People prefer space traits. And that leaves the Joined Trill, which is still forced to take ONE ground trait ... or Aliens.

And everyone can make aliens.
Lt. Commander
# 35
07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
You took my post as serious ? You're joking right?

it's all about the second part my friend

Lt. Commander
# 36
07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOdio
Dear Pogmahone,

Nickle and dime the players? Please name at least 1 item in the c-store you absolutely need to play this game? Don't like the c-store? Don't buy anything. It's that simple. Cryptic isn't forcing you to purchase anything. I like the c-store and I'm sure many others like it too. Buying from the c-store supports a game we all love to play.

More money for cryptic = more game development.

Less money for cryptic = less game development.

Sounds like practical business to me.
More money for education = higher graduation rates and higher grades

Wait, whats that? Thats not true and the inverse has been happening? O my.

Unless cryptic actually uses the funds for game development for all players to get and use with their subs, more money doesn't equal more game. FLS does a lot more with less, and their game is pretty damn fun to play. It's PvP orientated so it suffers from that, but they get along on $15 a month. And guess what, all of the content made is available to all players

They also have exclusive items, that aren't obtainable by those that missed the perk So does WoW

The point is, saying that the more we fork over the more game we get is false. If they waste all that money on paying the marketers that come up with these retarded ideas, then thats money not going into improving the game.
Lt. Commander
# 37
07-15-2010, 05:22 PM
.....Yeah, with this new combat upgrade and the NGE (new game enhancements), I don't see how they are gonna keep the vet players and people that unlocked Jedi after all that grinding of XP....

Oh, oops wrong game, it seemed like De ja vu for a minute there.
Lt. Commander
# 38
07-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
The concern is not so much that they are OMGWTFPWNZOR!-level game-breaking. They are slightly advantageous, they give a slight advantage.* The problem is that even slightly, this is game-altering. Granted, only a very little bit, and only a slight advantage... but the concern that I think SquidheadJax has is that it can easilly become a slippery slope because, originally, there was not supposed to be anything game-altering *at all* on the C-Store. Then there's stuff that's slightly altering (the multibuff tribble.) Now there's something that is slightly more game-altering (Galaxy-X.) The Connie is also marginally better than the starting CL. And the playable races on the C-Store do have an effect, albeit (again) minor. All small things... but there was oiriginally not supposed to be such things in the C-Store at all. So now... where does it stop? What's the line that says 'this is game affecting and should not be in the C-Store,' and 'this is not-quite-so-game-affecting and could be in the C-Store.'?

My own concern is a little more visceral and not quite logical. As I have said before, I grok that Cryptic uses the funds from the C-Store to accelerate development; they have a year of non-live development to catch up on, after all! And I know that the $15/mo. USD subscription fee should, in 2010 dollars, be rightly $20 (but no major or would-be-major MMO wants to be the first to charge that much.) So they're essentially working with a loss. I get it. But what bothers me is that some of the stuff creeping into the C-Store is iconic. Okay, my particular bugaboo is ships. We spend most of our time staring at our ships, and they, more than the races, define Star Trek. Granted, this is IMHO, so take this with an isogram of salt; but I find it unfortunate and disappointing that two ships that were really asked for, that were considered very 'iconic' of Trek (at least of this era of Trek) are being put in the game but only if you pay above and beyond your subscription fee.

Again, I realize that they are releasing a lot of stuff for our base subscription, for no additional cost... but honestly, until a year has passed -- six months and counting, or thereabouts -- I will hold off any judgement as to if the content is enough for a fully-released game. Because right now... I'm sorry, Cryptic, but CBS and Atari pushed you to release a year before there was enough content and development. I don't blame the Cryptic developers, I think they did a pretty good job for the time they had. I just don't think the Cryptari marketing folks and bean-counters really have the best interests of the game itself at heart, instead of just the bottom line.

* - Personally, the Galaxy-X has dubious advantage, since most people flying one try to fly it like a massive Defiant and get ZOWNT after they make their first pass.
i get it, really i do. but even you said they were all "minor." there is no one single thing that cries UBER and PWNAGE that offsets the game mechanic enought that other items or skills cannot oppose. give and take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
How many other successful western MMO's use MT's for me to measure STO against? WoW doesn't have them, neither do Eve, PotBS, and as far as i know neither do FFXI and Everquest. If those games can manage to create new content, expansions, and more with a basic subscription, why can't a new game like STO do it?

My problem with the C-store is that they're trying to emulate a model used by eastern (more specifically S. Korean) companies in the hopes that western players behave like they do in korea. How many people here have tried the F2P games that are out there? They're sub par in almost everyway, at a price that can't be beat. I feel gouged, and this game and the company running it aren't going in the direction i hoped at all. I'm seriously thinking about going back to WoW or PotBS and staying there. At least they don't grab money at every turn.
so your upset they want to generate revenue based on a monthly sub of $15 that was the norm for how many years? the simple fact that they chose the $15 as a base price was extremely kind of them considering many players offered (in posts here) up to $20/month. Cryptic listened to the majority of the player base and left it lower to keep them as well as attract players from other MMOs. given the increase in prices across the whole range of goods, MMOs seem to be the only ones that have not increased monthly sub prices and continue to operate at a greater expense on their end.

and correct me if i am wrong (since i dont play the game) but i heard there was an item in WOW now that was a purchase only item that people were up in arms about, and that is because it alters gameplay greatly as compared to the STO c store items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizitor View Post
so far all updates (expansions) have been free. i guess this falls in what you call an expansion or not. do you consider the romulan faction being added as an expansion? should it be?
Lt. Commander
# 39
07-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Rofl. Poor NGE. The worst mistake ever made by an mmo. At least for now. My money is on C-Store eventually outdoing it.
Lt. Commander
# 40
07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
What? Something has been added to the C-Store? Doom! Doom I tell you!
Closed Thread