Lt. Commander
# 11
07-16-2010, 05:20 AM
first of all its not going free to play. they said they are looking at other games to see what they do. they said they can see that sto might use a hybrid model in the future but nothing is set in stone or decided. it could very well stay as it is

if they do the hybrid model you can still pay a subscription and get everything in game as you do now, or you can play the game for free but its heavily locked down so you have to make individual purchases to unlock areas of the game. the playing for free is nothing more than a slightly larger demo.

lifetimes still get to have access to everything like they do now.

everyone has the same deal with c-store regardless of whether your a lifer or a monther

the lifetime bonuses of liberated borg and the extra 2 character slots were free with the lifetime sub. the point of buying a lifetime sub is go never have to pay any money to play the game. even with the hybrid model and the c-store that is still the case.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
It's mostly cosmetic content, one marginally better starter ship and one T5-ship for that you need a lot of skill to come somewhere near the awesomeness of the assault cruiser you get for free in the game.

You mean the extra character slots? Is this again one of those "additional character slots are exclusive to pre-order lifetime accounts, they are MINE, MINE, MINE"-threads? Because the liberated Borg captain isn't on the C-Store yet. And even if it goes there: Lifers got it for free, others would pay for it. If you bought a lifetime subscription for the Borg you did something wrong. I calculated how long I played WoW and how long I would stay in a Star Trek MMO. A lifetime subscription was cheaper than paying monthly. I don't care about the extras, the first thing I bought from the C-Store was the Federation Klingon.

Again, please give us proof that the game is going to be free to play.
http://subspacecommunique.com/conten...-exec-producer

The latest installments of high priced C-store items coupled with the recent flurry of press about free to play is what prompts this response.

This isn't a "mine mine mine" thread, it's pointing out a trend that worries me. As a lifer, I don't see where this leaves me if new perks all go on the C-store and subs are no longer required.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
LTS perks are still present, we still get 2 free character slots, and a Borg Captain. I don't think the Borg captains are for sale in the C-store are they? I know the slots are.

If the game does go F2P , I would home major concessions are given to those who made investments in the game with lifetime subs. Along the lines of 50% off all C-store content for lifetime subs. 25% off C-store content for monthly subs. ( This would assume lifetime subs being no longer sold).

Also with F2P , there are different levels looking at LOTRO as an example. 3 tiers ::: lifers / monthly subs / free players.

Also F2P players would not get the full experience of the game, say limits on 1 captain per account, 2 max active ships, 6 max bridge officers, and limits on ranking , say a max of 3 rank upgrades a week ( it would take a month of play to go from LT 1 to LT Cmdr 1).

The major benefit of F2P would be more people playing. And that imho is a good thing. More activity in space , more Fleet actions going on, more PvP!!! And as they would spend money at the C-store for stuff , which would then benefit us lifers / subscription paying players with more new content at a discount.

Season content should ALWAYS be free (The EVE online model is a perfect example of this) Else don't offer it in the first place and charge a flat rate for boxed expansion packs like WoW does.

Except that that would mean more drag on servers, requiring more money to fund it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Where did you get that from?
The internet grapevine. It's still rampant speculation. No one knows at all. But they're gonna keep posting it like it's true.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
http://subspacecommunique.com/conten...-exec-producer

The latest installments of high priced C-store items coupled with the recent flurry of press about free to play is what prompts this response.

This isn't a "mine mine mine" thread, it's pointing out a trend that worries me. As a lifer, I don't see where this leaves me if new perks all go on the C-store and subs are no longer required.
You pray the end result is Turbine's DDO model: full access to everything and an allotment of Cryptic Points per month to buy C-Store items that are not obtainable any other way.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-16-2010, 10:43 AM
and in return causing more chaos and confusion, worrying what players are left.

When did this turn into middle school?
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
You pray the end result is Turbine's DDO model: full access to everything and an allotment of Cryptic Points per month to buy C-Store items that are not obtainable any other way.
That's basically the only way that I could see STO going F2P. If they follow Turbine's hybrid model, then it might bring in more players...potential PAYING players...and those who want to play for free have limited access where they can purchase unlockable content through the C-Store. For lifers...give us something in return...a monthly allotment of CP is a nice gesture.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canders
F2P could mean even more content in the C-Store and less added to the actual game though...
Uh, does anyone else see the irony in this?

That's hilarious!
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
New content goes on the C-store. The future of the game is FTP. LTS perks are going on the C-store. Why did you offer Lifetime subscriptions if this is where you were going with the game?
I'd start to worry about all this if and when LTS offers would be denied from new customers and removed from the website. Until such time, I'd rather enjoy STO... and the forum, I guess.