Lt. Commander
http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress...6/starbase.jpg

Quite obviously, this station is made from parts already seen throughout STO. The saucer and body are similar to many of the starbases, including Sierra station, already in game. The bottom of the saucer area, where there is an internal drydock area, is used in the center of those flying saucer stations around Earth. We've of course seen the solar panels shown in this picture in multiple parts of the game.

Why didn't you just take those pieces, slap this model together, and make it HUGE... and call it Starbase 001? We would've accepted it. It follows the design lineage of Federation Starbases. It matches all of the other Federation Starbases in the game.

Instead, we get that horrible thing floating over earth that looks like a Klingon or Romulan station that got a blue glowy paint job.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-15-2010, 11:31 PM
I prefer that version over the one we have ingame, but I doubt it'll change
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress...6/starbase.jpg

Quite obviously, this station is made from parts already seen throughout STO. The saucer and body are similar to many of the starbases, including Sierra station, already in game. The bottom of the saucer area, where there is an internal drydock area, is used in the center of those flying saucer stations around Earth. We've of course seen the solar panels shown in this picture in multiple parts of the game.

Why didn't you just take those pieces, slap this model together, and make it HUGE... and call it Starbase 001? We would've accepted it. It follows the design lineage of Federation Starbases. It matches all of the other Federation Starbases in the game.

Instead, we get that horrible thing floating over earth that looks like a Klingon or Romulan station that got a blue glowy paint job.
That is a starbase.

I blew most of it up with my Klingon.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-15-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the concept art for the standard starbase we see throughout the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-15-2010, 11:37 PM
That is the default federation starbase concept art we used to create our starbases and you do see these throughout the game.

It was an art decision to create something different and new for earth spacedock.

I'd personally like to see a slightly different take on it since I'm still in love with this:

dStahl's favorite Fed Station Design
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post

I'd personally like to see a slightly different take on it since I'm still in love with this:

That's my fave too, also the Earth Starbase ingame is too small for me, I was expecting something massive, could we have mammoth starbases in future.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-15-2010, 11:41 PM
May well be the concept art for Starbase 24?

http://stowiki.org/wiki/File:Starbase_24.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-15-2010, 11:41 PM
If you are in love with that design, Stahl, and you want to take a crack at it, I don't think anyone in the community would mind.

I, and many others, just don't find that the current Earth starbase is a proper update in the design lineage we've seen in Star Trek. Especially since the original Earth Spacedock has been an icon throughout most of the series, and is hinted at in Legacy(even though not canon) to have been built around the time of the founding of the Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Quote:

Maybe that starbase has been moved to one of the other planets in the solar system
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Quote:
That is the default federation starbase concept art we used to create our starbases and you do see these throughout the game.

It was an art decision to create something different and new for earth spacedock.

that one is awesome. ( only problem is size, but they do have star bases that look like that in TNG but are a lot bigger so they could fit the galaxy )

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
If you are in love with that design, Stahl, and you want to take a crack at it, I don't think anyone in the community would mind.

I, and many others, just don't find that the current Earth starbase is a proper update in the design lineage we've seen in Star Trek. Especially since the original Earth Spacedock has been an icon throughout most of the series, and is hinted at in Legacy(even though not canon) to have been built around the time of the founding of the Federation.
the current one reminds me of the Justice league Watchtower ( watch tower 2 )