Lt. Commander
# 11
07-15-2010, 11:48 PM
I always saw the Federation Starbase as being an icon. That anywhere in the galaxy you found one of these starbases, you knew you were safe.

It was an icon that stood for centuries. I don't understand why in the last 30 years they suddenly decided to leave from this concept.

I'd understand redesigning and updating other starbases for defenses, but if there's one starbase you leave alone for the sake of being a landmark/icon, it is Earth Starbase.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
That is the default federation starbase concept art we used to create our starbases and you do see these throughout the game.

It was an art decision to create something different and new for earth spacedock.

I'd personally like to see a slightly different take on it since I'm still in love with this:

dStahl's favorite Fed Station Design
Make a massive in-game raid to destroy the old Sol station.

Then, have Feds do a massive community resource gathering project to unlock the "new" station you linked (from the movies and TNG show).

Treat it like people did "The Sleeper" raid in Everquest. It was a massive raid that literally served as the most challenging content for a long time. People still have fond memories of the server-changing event.

Coincide with playerbase-created starbases and you'd have a Natural 20 on your hands.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Quote:
That is the default federation starbase concept art we used to create our starbases and you do see these throughout the game.

It was an art decision to create something different and new for earth spacedock.

I'd personally like to see a slightly different take on it since I'm still in love with this:

i totally agree
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

Then, have Feds do a massive community resource gathering project to unlock the "new" station you linked (from the movies and TNG show).

Treat it like people did "The Sleeper" raid in Everquest. It was a massive raid that literally served as the most challenging content for a long time. People still have fond memories of the server-changing event.

Coincide with playerbase-created starbases and you'd have a Natural 20 on your hands.
what a great idea! devs, please give this concept a chance... or, as captain picard would say:
"MAKE IT SO!"
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDekker
what a great idea! devs, please give this concept a chance... or, as captain picard would say:
"MAKE IT SO!"
It could be our first big ingame event
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Quote:

mine too, id love to see that one in game
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Quote:

I think the biggest difference one will notice when comparing this screen to the current Sol system - is the lack of shadows in game. Earth looks perfectly lit from almost every angle, which shouldn't be the case - maybe you can give that a thought as well in case you decide to polish Sol.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-16-2010, 12:42 AM
/signed for great justice.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:

My favorite, too.

How about this:
Big Klingon/Borg/Breen/Whatever Assault on Sol. PvP or Fleet Action, or a special event. Sol's Starbase is destroyed. A new one has to be build, or an old one has to be moved.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor

Or we can just have Wesley Crusher blow it up.

In all seriousness though, I'm not going to be bothered if the starbase stays the same. If it's updated, I don't think I'll have a problem with that, either. What Darren suggested would make a fun event to replace the starbase.