Lt. Commander
# 1 why new things on Cstore?
07-16-2010, 12:17 PM
we pay 15 bucks for monthly then seperate expenses for Cstore...
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph001
why new things on Cstore?

we pay 15 bucks for monthly then seperate expenses for Cstore...
Simply put, here's why:
  1. Cryptic sells lifetime subscriptions and roughly a couple of years after you buy a Lifetime Subscription, the C-Store would becomes the only way to encourage you to put more money into STO.

2. Item stores are a way for the game developer/publisher to separate the game assets they develop and encourage people to pay more money above and beyond the monthly fee.

3. Most of all though, because they can, and because Cryptic is after all... a business!
The only real question is, "Is there anything in the C-Store you actually need to enjoy the game?" That question is up to you, and you alone.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Even simpler explanation and in the devs' own words:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...re/4110/page/1

I asked how the company justifies their C-Store and was told by Zinkievich that "if we didn't have that revenue from the C-Store, items in the C-Store wouldn't get made"
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-16-2010, 01:16 PM
How about items in the C-Store don't get made and we get rid of the C-Store?

That sounds good.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
How about items in the C-Store don't get made and we get rid of the C-Store?

That sounds good.
Makes me think that if the C-Store didnt exist, the only thing they would have the budget for would be maintainence.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck_of_many_things
Makes me think that if the C-Store didnt exist, the only thing they would have the budget for would be maintainence.
Not likely
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirek99
Not likely
Youi have proof of this? The only proof I can find (the links I have been given, and the fact that all new ships seem to be going into the store) seems to be pointing towards what I said rather than the other.

But it is moot, theyll never get rid of the ability to print money
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Simply put, here's why:
Cryptic sells lifetime subscriptions and roughly a couple of years after you buy a Lifetime Subscription, the C-Store would becomes the only way to encourage you to put more money into STO.
Wouldn't that make more sense a year or so down the road instead of right now then?
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Youi have proof of this? The only proof I can find (the links I have been given, and the fact that all new ships seem to be going into the store) seems to be pointing towards what I said rather than the other.

there is only 1 new ship that's in the c-store at this time, the rest of them are just skins.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:

The whole "subs go for server maintenance" thing hasn't been true for a very long time. That may have been how MMOs started out, but it is definitely no longer the case. Server space/maintenance is cheap comparatively to the revenue generated by thousands of subscriptions. So, that's now just the line of bull that they like to still hand out to people who don't know any better.