Lt. Commander
# 11
07-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cehus View Post
there is only 1 new ship that's in the c-store at this time, the rest of them are just skins.
and two ships confirmed down the road.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-16-2010, 01:05 PM
c-store gives them more funds to make the game better.

we only get to see one course of action but if they did not charge for stuff in the c-store i bet we would not be as far along with new content as we are now.

we are getting the nebula and excelsior soon, but would the devs have had the funds to make those ships in the first place or would they have had to spend their money more wisely.

if you dont want to pay for the stuff then dont. simple. everything in life costs money and if you want everything you usually have to pay. id love all the c-store items to be part of the sub and be 'free' but if i have to pay to get more items faster then im happy to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't understand the "c-store makes the money for content" argument. Well, what about all the money they made from lifers and people who continue to pay a monthly sub? It's not all server maintenance, so don't even try it...

Am I to believe that every other pay-to-play MMO out there without microtransactions implements their content for free at a loss of money to their company? I don't think so... The sub money is more than enough, or there wouldn't even be MMOs that implement content without charging via item shop. And that simply isn't the case.

The only viable excuse I'm left with (aside from Cryptic being greedy, which is obviously viable) is that Atari is taking a gigantic share of the profit from STO and not putting it back into the game. If Cryptic is only getting a paltry % of the revenue that STO generates, and allowed to keep anything they generate from the c-store, it all begins to make sense. However, that would just refocus anger on Atari instead of Cryptic, as it is not a good excuse to rip off paying customers.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourne
The whole "subs go for server maintenance" thing hasn't been true for a very long time. That may have been how MMOs started out, but it is definitely no longer the case. Server space/maintenance is cheap comparatively to the revenue generated by thousands of subscriptions. So, that's now just the line of bull that they like to still hand out to people who don't know any better.
Hey, Im just going off what the devs said. Its stupid, I agree, but thats the line theyre pushing lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
and two ships confirmed down the road.
One with a neat transwarp thing that no other ship has access to.

Quote:
I don't understand the "c-store makes the money for content" argument. Well, what about all the money they made from lifers and people who continue to pay a monthly sub? It's not all server maintenance, so don't even try it...
RIIIIGHT... cause IM the one "trying it"

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...re/4110/page/1

Quote:
I asked how the company justifies their C-Store and was told by Zinkievich that "if we didn't have that revenue from the C-Store, items in the C-Store wouldn't get made" and that the store allows items to be completed and made available to players more quickly.
Please note that IM not the one coming up with this out of thin air.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-16-2010, 02:18 PM
I find it funny how people complain about a company trying to make money... isn't that the goal of every business?

That aside, you must realize that there are 3 companies making money from this game. Cryptic, Atari, and CBS. Atari pays CBS for the rights to use the Star Trek property, and pays Cryptic to develop the game. Atari has to pay their own employees who are working on this game. Cryptic has to pay their employees that are developing STO.

You want to complain about ship skins being sold on the C-Store? Don't because look how many we have for free, plus 3 more classes of T5 ships coming in Season 2.

You want to complain about paying for extra slots of any kind? Don't because the fact of the matter is that one character takes up a huge amount of storage space, they need the money to expand on that space.

You want to complain about paying for new races, bridges, emotes, and outfits? I can give that to you, but you also have to realize that someone needs to get paid to design the graphics for these races. The argument can go either way on this.

The fact of the matter is that we don't have all the financial details of all 3 companies' so we cannot judge them. They are all businesses, and they all need to make a profit. Expenses come in all forms and they need to be able to cover them while making some extra money.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Pretty sure that Cryptic was bought by Atari. So they're pretty much the same entity in terms of who makes money off the game.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:

Am I to believe that every other pay-to-play MMO out there without microtransactions implements their content for free at a loss of money to their company? I don't think so... The sub money is more than enough, or there wouldn't even be MMOs that implement content without charging via item shop. And that simply isn't the case.

The only viable excuse I'm left with (aside from Cryptic being greedy, which is obviously viable) is that Atari is taking a gigantic share of the profit from STO and not putting it back into the game. If Cryptic is only getting a paltry % of the revenue that STO generates, and allowed to keep anything they generate from the c-store, it all begins to make sense. However, that would just refocus anger on Atari instead of Cryptic, as it is not a good excuse to rip off paying customers.
computer games cost a lot of money to make. they developed the game for 2 years and did not see a penny. once they released it they do get box sales and lifetime subs but none of us know who much that is and what it covers.

of course they can still make the game and deliver content without the c-store but it gives them more money to make more stuff faster.

they can buy new servers, new software, hire new people, pay overtime, get more voice overs, pay for all the legal licences and loads of other bits and pieces that we would not think about.

you or i have absolutely no idea if they have enough subs and how many people went lifetime or all the behind the scenes cost to comment on .

many other mmos have not put out this much content this quickly. how much has been because of revenue through the c-store. many other mmos that do, have millions of subs and dont need micro transactions to support the content they put out.

the number of people that subscribe and the number of people that work at other mmos and the amount of content they put out is all different. there is no point comparing other mmos as its all irrelevant because of the massive difference in the above figures, figures for sto that we are never told.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I will want to complain if they decide to put all new ships into the store. thats all

Lt. Commander
# 19
07-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrasil View Post
Wouldn't that make more sense a year or so down the road instead of right now then?
Would you prefer to make only a dollar tomorrow when you can make one today and another one tomorrow?
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-16-2010, 02:52 PM
i just want to say that i hate the c-store with all my heart. with that said... cryptic is a company. they want to make money and c-store does exactly that for them. if you dont like it, bend over and go to your happy place. beacuse as long as there is money in the world, companies are going to try to earn money.