Lt. Commander
# 21
07-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares93 View Post
i just want to say that i hate the c-store with all my heart. with that said... cryptic is a company. they want to make money and c-store does exactly that for them. if you dont like it, bend over and go to your happy place. beacuse as long as there is money in the world, companies are going to try to earn money.
Pretty much why I dont trust this DStahl guy till I see him do something to earn that.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
From MMORPG.com:

Quote:
I asked how the company justifies their C-Store and was told by Zinkievich that "if we didn't have that revenue from the C-Store, items in the C-Store wouldn't get made" and that the store allows items to be completed and made available to players more quickly.
I have long said that the C-Store is a self perpetuating evil. And here, I feel Craig Zinkievich confirmed my fears.

When the C-Store opened, I had the feeling that if it experienced any popularity at all, then for the rest of STO's active game life, the C-Store would become the primary, and eventually the sole focus of STO's development.

It has been suggested by many, including myself, that many of the items which have appeared (or will soon appear) on the C-Store really should have been in the game at launch, or are considered such an interegal part of the game that they would have been added as free content updates later during a patch. Things such as canon uniforms, canon ships, etc.

But, because Cryptic discovered that they can easily make money off the C-Store and their customer's desire for canon Star Trek memoribilia, they chose to make the C-Store the avenue for the item's implementation into the game.

But here is the problem. Cryptic claims that the C-Store funds the addition of content to the game, free of charge. But since STO's launch, the amount of content and updates that have gone to the C-Store significantly outnumbers the updates that went out as patches. The C-Store is rapidly becoming a self-fulfilling beast. They put things on the C-Store to make money for development, but then that development goes into make more C-Store merchandise rather than improvements to the game.

How long will it be befoe their sole focus is on contributions to the C-Store, vs. necessary improvements to the game? As it stands right now, it's hard to see STO as anything more than a virtual platform for playing with the toys you pick up from the C-Store.

Had STO been a much more complete and far more rich game when it launched, I think the backlash against the C-Store would have been significantly less. However, STO launched as a very incomplete game, and people see the C-Store as an insult, as Cryptic's sole focus, rather than the game itself, which we all pay a subscription to.

If Cryptic wants to end the backlash and tirades against the C-Store, then they need to show us, their customers, that the C-Store is not everything, and that STO itself is their primary focus. They need to make their customers feel like paying the subscription fee gets them something more than an incomplete game that they can use for their C-Store purchases. Right now, they aren't doing a very good job of reassuring us in the value of $15.00 a month on top of C-Store fees.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
If Cryptic wants to end the backlash and tirades against the C-Store, then they need to show us, their customers, that the C-Store is not everything, and that STO itself is their primary focus. They need to make their customers feel like paying the subscription fee gets them something more than an incomplete game that they can use for their C-Store purchases. Right now, they aren't doing a very good job of reassuring us in the value of $15.00 a month on top of C-Store fees.
Disagree almost completely. The onus is on the customer. If the players want to let cryptic know the c-store is not the way to do things ... the players have to stop using it.

The Galaxy X is a perfect example of this. So many posts on these forums ranting up and down about it going to the C-Store. And yet, it seems to be one of the most popular items ever put on the C-Store. I run into dozens of those ships each day. You people hate the C-Store itself, but love to buy the items in it.

It's a mixed message. And over there at Cryptic Studios ... and as well as Atari Corporate HQ ... the message they're focusing on is the money the store generates.

You want the C-Store to go away? Stop buying things from it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Disagree almost completely. The onus is on the customer. If the players want to let cryptic know the c-store is not the way to do things ... the players have to stop using it.

The Galaxy X is a perfect example of this. So many posts on these forums ranting up and down about it going to the C-Store. And yet, it seems to be one of the most popular items ever put on the C-Store. I run into dozens of those ships each day. You people hate the C-Store itself, but love to buy the items in it.

It's a mixed message. And over there at Cryptic Studios ... and as well as Atari Corporate HQ ... the message they're focusing on is the money the store generates.

You want the C-Store to go away? Stop buying things from it.
Thats the same argument everyone alwayas makes to stop the goldspammers, and thats worked ouyt SO well hasnt it?

The sad fact is, "vote with your wallet" is crap because for every one of us that do that, theres about a thousand blissfully unaware idiots content to buy everything in there AND pat a monthly fee. The impact WE make is therefore swept under the rug pretty fast.
Lt. Commander
# 25 Craptic We Need A Change!!!
07-16-2010, 05:24 PM
THE PEOPLE THAT THINK THAT THE C-STORE HELPS FUND THEM MAKING THINGS FASTER IS OUT OF THERE MIND! IT'S TO MAKE THEM MONEY AFTER THEY RIPE YOU OFF FOR THREE $300.00 FOR A GAME THAT WAS JUNK! WITH A SPRINK OF STAR TREK TO MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD! THE GOUND MISSIONS S_CK! THE ONLY THING THAT WORTH WHILE IN THE GAME IS SPACE COMBAT. THIS GAME HAS NO DEPTH WHAT SO EVER!

THEY CLAIM TO HAVE SPENT TIME WATCHING STAR TREK AND READING BOOKS!
WELL I BOUGHT IT AS WELL AS YOU DID! THE SHIPS DON'T FLY RIGHT THE MORE YOU RANK UP THE WORSE THEY GET! THEY ARE UNDER MANNED THE RANKINGS ON THE ITEM FOR YOUR SHIP IS STUPID! BECAUSE IT MEANS ALMOST NOTHING TO ANYONE! THE RANKS ARE WAY TO EASY! AND THE NEW RANKINGS ARE ONLY GOING TO GIVE YA 6 MORE LEVELS! REALLY!, 6!!!! I'M SORRY BUT I GREW UP WATCHING STAR TREK FOR OVER 40+ YEARS AND THEY MISSING THE MARK OF STAR TREK! SO IN CASE THEY READ THIS I'LL TELL THEM, STAR TREK WAS ABOUT THE SHIP AND HER CREW! HELLO ARE YOU LISTENING?

THAT MEANS IF I GO TO THE BRIDGE I CAN RUN MY SHIP FROM THERE NOT BEAM DOWN TO A STARBASE AND THEN BACK TO MY SHIP! I MEAN REALLY ARE THESE PEOPLE STUPID? NOTHING WORKS ON THE BRIDGE SO WHY EVEN HAVE A PLACE LIKE THIS TO GO AND DO WHAT LOOK AT YOURSELF FOR 60 SECONDS? WHERE IS THE SICKBAY WHY DO I HAVE TO GO BACK TO A STARBASE TO GET HEALED! HAS STAR FLEET RUN OUT OF DOCTORS AND THEIR'S ONLY A FEW LEFT?

IN ALL OF MY TIME WATCHING RERUNS OF STAR TREK I'VE NEVER SEEN A SHIP AT HIGH WARP OR EVER LOW WARP FOR THAT FACT SLIDE OUT IN A TURN LIKE A CAR THATS DRIFFING! BUT THEY SEEM TO THINK THAT HOW THEY FLY! AGAIN STUPID!!!! I'VE SENT IN TONS OF REQUESTS FOR THEM TO FIX THIS ISSUES HAS IT BEEN FIXED NO!!

IT'S TIME TO LOSE THE GRID AS WELL AS THE BILLBOARD SIGN GOING FROM ONE SCTOR TO ANOTHER AND THE TIP MENU THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING THE GAME! STUPID!!! I MEAN REALLY YOU COULDN'T SAY SOMETHING LIKE "SIR WE ARE ABOUT TO LEAVE THIS SECTOR AND GO INTO THE NEXT (NAME) SECTOR. " IS NO ONE THINKING HOW THIS SOUNDS?

THE PART ABOUT PLAYING A GAME IS NOT TO RUIN THE ILLUSION THAT YOU PLAYING A GAME NOT DRIVING DOWN A FREEWAY! BUT THAN I GUESS YOU DON'T GET THAT EIGHTER!!! I GUESS I WANT THAT FEELING OF FEELING LIKE IM OUT IN SPACE AND NOT ON A GRID!!!

WHEN I BEAM DOWN TO A PLANET OR A SPACE STAION HOW DO I KNOW HOW MANY COMPUTERS OR PLANTS BLINKING THEIR IS TO CHECK OUT I NEVER RAN A SCAN OR THE AREA! WHY DON''T YOU JUST TELL ME WITH ICONS WHAT BUTTON TO PUSH WHILE YOUR AT IT SO A 3 YEAR OLD CAN PLAY!!!

BUT NO YOU KEEP MAKING CRAP UP THAT DOSN'T DO ANYTHING FOR THE GAME AND CHARGING FOR IT!

THE ONE THING YOU DID OFFER THAT MIGHT BE WORTH LOOKING AT IS A SHIP THAT IS A STEP BACK AND THAT YOUR CHARGE HALF THE PRICE OF THE GAME! IS IT WORTH IT REALLY ONE SHIP THATS WORTH THE PRICE OF HAVE OF THE COMPUTER GAME IN THE STORE? WHICH WAS A WASTE OF TIME BECAUSE YOU COULD JUST UP DATE THE BETA YOU WERE PLAYING TO THE REAL GAME!

JUST FIX THE GAME! YOU MAKE A BIG THING ABOUT CRAIG BUDDY LEAVING WELL IT WAS TIME AND IF THE NEW GUY CAN'T FIX YOU THEN I HOPE SOMEONE ELSE MAKE A NEW AND BETTER GAME THAT LIVES UP TO THE NAME STAR TREK!

HIRE ME TO HELP FIX THE CRAP BECAUSE I THINK I KNOW MORE ABOUT STAR TREK THAN YOU DO!!
PLUS I CARE ABOUT THE GAME AND WHAT PEOPLE THINK! OF MY WORK!!

JUST ONE MORE THING AND I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT FEELS THIS WAY HOW ABOUT LETTING PEOPLE CHOSE A FLAGSHIP AND IN STEAD OF CHANGING SHIPS YOU CAN ADD STATIONS AND UPGARDE STATIONS AND IF POSSIBLE LETS HAVE MORE FREEDOM TO MAKE ARE OWN SHIPS! I MEAN ALL THE PARTS FROM ALL THE SHIPS THAT YOU OWN WOULD ALOW YOU TO CREAT A SHIP THAT IS UNIQUE! JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-16-2010, 05:27 PM
holy crap

capslock hits you for 40 million crit
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck_of_many_things
Makes me think that if the C-Store didnt exist, the only thing they would have the budget for would be maintainence.
and to further quote you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck_of_many_things
Youi have proof of this?
so i ask you your own question...

you have proof of this?
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ZZ View Post
rant
me thinks someone had a bad day
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_ZZ View Post
QQ!
Sounds like someone needs a diaper change.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Perhaps there trying to rope in as much cash as possible before the new SW mmo comes out and kills STO off........ then theyll go ftp?

Game disc cost me alot , ok i got some nice items with it (thats now on c-store) , subs is the high end as well , and for anything fancy that ever comes out in sto must be brought as well..... sounds a bargain! , if your stupid lol