Lt. Commander
# 51
07-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
yeah lets make 100 year old design a frontline ship. It would be like Ford making the Model T again and selling it as a luxury car.
Yeah, welcome to the Trek of Cryptic.
Where the ships are nothing but costumes and everybody is OK with that.

To be fair, they DID make up some techno babble about ships being highly modular, thus the form not making much of a difference. Or something like that.

Also thereīs this damn canon Defiant, where a ship thatīs barely a third of a cruiser can actually be on par with it.

So this whole "museum ship lovers" vs "common sense" tit for tat is an exercise in total futility.

I found just ignoring the whole thing and when it all becomes too ridiculous, just kissing the whole game good bye is the proper way to deal with it.
Lt. Commander
# 52
07-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvinn
mmm... someone tell me how the Excelsior class makes sense as a tier-5?
A major refit like the Lakota
Lt. Commander
# 53
07-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
yeah lets make 100 year old design a frontline ship. It would be like Ford making the Model T again and selling it as a luxury car.
Amount of years besides, the Model T design is vastly different than cars of today. The Excelsior design is not very different than other Tier 5 Cruisers, such as the Sovereign. Your analogy doesn't hold up; it's more like a car from the '50's-'70's compared to a modern car, in terms of design. People tune up and fix those era vehicles all the time to be just as roadworthy and luxurious as modern automobiles. In the town that I live, there's a yearly auto show where people come to show off their spruced up vintage cars... but I'm going off on a tangent now. You can't honestly make me believe such things are impossible for Federation engineers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
I found just ignoring the whole thing and when it all becomes too ridiculous, just kissing the whole game good bye is the proper way to deal with it.
People have been using this tactic for ages when their arguments don't hold up or are flat out wrong. I don't blame you.
Lt. Commander
# 54
07-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Fix the non glowing tops of the nacelles.
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Excelsior refit a tier 5? sheesh! The Lakota was going to lose to the Defiant, and it's tier 4 (this game anyway). I see it as tier 3, 4 at most. There's no way starfleet would could/would upgrade an Excelsior to surpass a Galaxy. The refit couldn't beat a defiant, no way it would touch a Galaxy. Yes, Galaxy > Defiant. But now its the same rank as a Sovereign...

But whatever I suppose. Nobody should look at this game as an accurate portrayal of ship characteristics and capabilities with regards to Star Trek canon.

For fun, my Ship Hierarchy:

Sovereign
Galaxy, Prometheus (maybe, still mysterious)
Akira
Defiant
Nebula (maybe with the lower group)
Ambassador, Excelsior Refit, Intrepid
Norway, Steamrunner
Sabre
Nova, Centaur
Lt. Commander
# 56
07-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Just a suggestion, but make the T3 look like the NCC 2000 and the T5 look like the Lakota or such... I don't think I would have any problems with that. It's not the age of the ship that forces it into service as a frigate or something like that, or relegates it to retirement...

It's not the size of the hull the determines T3 or T5...just look at the Klingon side...lol

I am just hoping that it comes out as a T5 ship...that way I don't have to lumber around in this galaxy class starship refit....
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Frankly I hope eventually ALL ships are refitted for the highest tier.

The arrangement of ships in this game has left something to be desired from the get go.

There's no reason for the game to penalize a player for flying the type of ship that they like best, when depending on the skills of the crew, any ship is Star Trek could accomplish just about any goal.

Deep Space Nine would have played out exactly the same if the Defiant had been a Sovereign class, an Excelsior class, or a 1992 Buick Skylark.
Lt. Commander
# 58
07-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Or a Winnebago.
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgh View Post
Or a Winnebago.
BAH!

Can't believe I missed a perfect chance for a Spaceballs reference.
Lt. Commander
# 60 I like this!
07-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTerribleRomulan
Just a suggestion, but make the T3 look like the NCC 2000 and the T5 look like the Lakota or such... I don't think I would have any problems with that. It's not the age of the ship that forces it into service as a frigate or something like that, or relegates it to retirement...

It's not the size of the hull the determines T3 or T5...just look at the Klingon side...lol

I am just hoping that it comes out as a T5 ship...that way I don't have to lumber around in this galaxy class starship refit....
I really like the idea of the NCC 2000 look for the Tier 3 model and the Lakota for the Tier 5 refit. Very fitting.