Lt. Commander
# 1 Why Do We Have LTS?
07-15-2010, 06:06 PM
New content goes on the C-store. The future of the game is FTP. LTS perks are going on the C-store. Why did you offer Lifetime subscriptions if this is where you were going with the game?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-15-2010, 06:10 PM
is it going "free to play" ??
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo64 View Post
Maybe.

The C-Store would seem to indicate an FTP model shift, but we haven't had any word about it yet, just a bunch of otherwise baseless conjecture focused on the purely circumstantial evidence put forth by the C-Store.

I don't care if they go FTP, it won't change my game experience at all. I don't know why everyone is so up in arms over this, either.

I'd wager, if it does go FTP, it'll go hybrid model; you can pay a sub and get everything, or not and use the C-Store. As it stands, we're doing both, so either Cryptic needs the money or it's shifting to FTP.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-15-2010, 06:36 PM
LTS perks are still present, we still get 2 free character slots, and a Borg Captain. I don't think the Borg captains are for sale in the C-store are they? I know the slots are.

If the game does go F2P , I would home major concessions are given to those who made investments in the game with lifetime subs. Along the lines of 50% off all C-store content for lifetime subs. 25% off C-store content for monthly subs. ( This would assume lifetime subs being no longer sold).

Also with F2P , there are different levels looking at LOTRO as an example. 3 tiers ::: lifers / monthly subs / free players.

Also F2P players would not get the full experience of the game, say limits on 1 captain per account, 2 max active ships, 6 max bridge officers, and limits on ranking , say a max of 3 rank upgrades a week ( it would take a month of play to go from LT 1 to LT Cmdr 1).

The major benefit of F2P would be more people playing. And that imho is a good thing. More activity in space , more Fleet actions going on, more PvP!!! And as they would spend money at the C-store for stuff , which would then benefit us lifers / subscription paying players with more new content at a discount.

Season content should ALWAYS be free (The EVE online model is a perfect example of this) Else don't offer it in the first place and charge a flat rate for boxed expansion packs like WoW does.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
LTS perks are still present, we still get 2 free character slots, and a Borg Captain. I don't think the Borg captains are for sale in the C-store are they? I know the slots are.

If the game does go F2P , I would home major concessions are given to those who made investments in the game with lifetime subs. Along the lines of 50% off all C-store content for lifetime subs. 25% off C-store content for monthly subs. ( This would assume lifetime subs being no longer sold).

Also with F2P , there are different levels looking at LOTRO as an example. 3 tiers ::: lifers / monthly subs / free players.

Also F2P players would not get the full experience of the game, say limits on 1 captain per account, 2 max active ships, 6 max bridge officers, and limits on ranking , say a max of 3 rank upgrades a week ( it would take a month of play to go from LT 1 to LT Cmdr 1).

The major benefit of F2P would be more people playing. And that imho is a good thing. More activity in space , more Fleet actions going on, more PvP!!! And as they would spend money at the C-store for stuff , which would then benefit us lifers / subscription paying players with more new content at a discount.

Season content should ALWAYS be free (The EVE online model is a perfect example of this) Else don't offer it in the first place and charge a flat rate for boxed expansion packs like WoW does.
We are the Cyptic/Atari/CBS collective <of your money> lower your expectations and surrender you bank account info.

I play SOLO. Not in a fleet. Not in a group. I play because I like Star Trek. Not because I like people. Don't force me into a happy group. If I want to play with people I will join a softball league or bowling league. I could care less if others are there. I think more people playing would be great but I don't want to be forced into group play.

I paid for roughly a year and a half of game time UP FRONT to play this game not including my pre-order cost. Cryptic already has around $300 from me. They could take F2P and shove it up their docking port.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo64 View Post
This is highly unlikely, as the 'Star Trek' IP license must be an expensive one...
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
This is highly unlikely, as the 'Star Trek' IP license must be an expensive one...
Considering it would take $112.50 to get enough C-Points to get all the unlockable items/options, I think it's safe to say they're taking more money in from the C-Store than from monthly subs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-16-2010, 01:24 AM
F2P could mean even more content in the C-Store and less added to the actual game though...
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canders
F2P could mean even more content in the C-Store and less added to the actual game though...
Not just any content... required content. Pay $10 to have access to the next tier of rank. Pay $X amount of dollars so that you can goto the Open PVP sector block. Pay $15 dollars for the new STF they're releasing, etc...

Oh, and lets not forget, only Patrol Missions and Deep Space Encounters will be available to people who play for free. If you want the full experience, such as the Story Missions, Crafting, and other End game content you'd have to pay for a subscription anyway.

I hope we never see STO like that.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
New content goes on the C-store.
It's mostly cosmetic content, one marginally better starter ship and one T5-ship for that you need a lot of skill to come somewhere near the awesomeness of the assault cruiser you get for free in the game.

Quote:
The future of the game is FTP.
Where did you get that from?

Quote:
LTS perks are going on the C-store.
You mean the extra character slots? Is this again one of those "additional character slots are exclusive to pre-order lifetime accounts, they are MINE, MINE, MINE"-threads? Because the liberated Borg captain isn't on the C-Store yet. And even if it goes there: Lifers got it for free, others would pay for it. If you bought a lifetime subscription for the Borg you did something wrong. I calculated how long I played WoW and how long I would stay in a Star Trek MMO. A lifetime subscription was cheaper than paying monthly. I don't care about the extras, the first thing I bought from the C-Store was the Federation Klingon.

Quote:
Why did you offer Lifetime subscriptions if this is where you were going with the game?
Again, please give us proof that the game is going to be free to play.