Lt. Commander
# 21
11-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Just swapped out the EVGA GTX260 for a EVGA GTX460 and my game has done nothing but crashed. Gave me so many crc errors that it killed my SSD. Fresh install, new drive and I'm still getting the crashes. This is starting to **** me off. It even crashes at the login screen now.

error: "file read from disk has bad CRC".
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Dugedug, it is common, especially with nVidia cards to see crashs when you change generations of cards. The issue is often that the old drivers where not properly removed. A google search turned up a ton of ways to do a deep removal of old drivers.

The issue you describe BTW would not kill and SSD, the issue was like an SSD that was dying anyway. If you are still getting CRC errors on a fresh install with a new SSD I would be look at the HD controller or the SSD first.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Ed
Dugedug, it is common, especially with nVidia cards to see crashs when you change generations of cards. The issue is often that the old drivers where not properly removed. A google search turned up a ton of ways to do a deep removal of old drivers.

The issue you describe BTW would not kill and SSD, the issue was like an SSD that was dying anyway. If you are still getting CRC errors on a fresh install with a new SSD I would be look at the HD controller or the SSD first.
I was using cleansweeper before the new install to switch out drivers. Fresh install with new SSD will not produce an old driver issue. A brand new SSD (different manuf) producing the exact same errors? I doubt it is the HD. I can also move my SSD to different controllers(intel, marvell or LSI) on my mobo to troubleshoot the issue.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugedug View Post
Just swapped out the EVGA GTX260 for a EVGA GTX460 and my game has done nothing but crashed. Gave me so many crc errors that it killed my SSD. Fresh install, new drive and I'm still getting the crashes. This is starting to **** me off. It even crashes at the login screen now.

error: "file read from disk has bad CRC".
I went from a GeForce 9800 1GB DDR3 because the game kept crashing, to a GeForce GT240 1GB DDR3. The crashing stopped immediately, and despite the lack of a seperate PCI-E power plug on the card, works fantastic. the new card is made by eVGA, and the old is PNY. The PNY card appears to have cooling issues because the heatsink clogs easily, and the card's fan catches, causing it to slow or stop.

Bye Bye BSoD's!
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-02-2010, 03:41 PM
I Just an update, I un-installed all the old nvidia drivers with driver sweeper and re-installed 260.99 and I still have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
im runnin a gtx460 with a i5 chipset myself (no i7 but still lol), never had any issues, might of been a particual combination with your setup, but glad to see you got it resolved, if you can post up any specifics of what you did in detail for others to follow incase they encounter the same issue.
After a little playing around I found that the game would crash when task switching if:

My desktop (14*9) is a lower res than the game (16*10), once I match both I can task switch with out issue (so far). My 8800GT would happily do this but my 460GTX won't. Not sure if its a game update issue or card issue. But for the jump in frame rate its a small trade to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshi View Post
I went from a GeForce 9800 1GB DDR3 because the game kept crashing, to a GeForce GT240 1GB DDR3. The crashing stopped immediately, and despite the lack of a seperate PCI-E power plug on the card, works fantastic. the new card is made by eVGA, and the old is PNY. The PNY card appears to have cooling issues because the heatsink clogs easily, and the card's fan catches, causing it to slow or stop.

Bye Bye BSoD's!
I had the same problem with my old 6600GT the fan would clog and in the end (even with compressed air cleaning) I ended up using cable ties and an 80mm fan to cool it. The card and fan used 3 slots in total lol but the cooling was great and I only use 1 other PCI slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugedug View Post
I was using cleansweeper before the new install to switch out drivers. Fresh install with new SSD will not produce an old driver issue. A brand new SSD (different manuf) producing the exact same errors? I doubt it is the HD. I can also move my SSD to different controllers(intel, marvell or LSI) on my mobo to troubleshoot the issue.

What your system spec?

Have you tried just good old HDD, I know an SSD is faster
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_ELDER_ROGUE_UK
I Just an update, I un-installed all the old nvidia drivers with driver sweeper and re-installed 260.99 and I still have the same problem.

After a little playing around I found that the game would crash when task switching if:

My desktop (14*9) is a lower res than the game (16*10), once I match both I can task switch with out issue (so far). My 8800GT would happily do this but my 460GTX won't. Not sure if its a game update issue or card issue. But for the jump in frame rate its a small trade to make
i run the game full screen and task switch when i want i need to, don't have any issues on that.. is the task swichcrash happening with any other programs/games with the same settings?

when it come to the fps jumps thats when shadows are set to high and its loading in the texture stream (mainly on Ground), if set to medium/low does not have an effect on fps but ye shadows are a major cause in fps lag on any game lol, i do get that on mine but im used to it so im too lazy to drop the shadows down to low settings.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-03-2010, 07:46 AM
If you look at the release notes with the newest Nvidia drivers, you will see where they specifically list Start Trek Online as having a stuttering issue. I figured out that if you turn shadows to med or low, the stuttering seems to go away.

I task switch all the time while playing STO because it is the easiest (ok, laziest) way to turn off all of my mapped powers to by logitech game keyboard. Alt-tabbing out and then back in turns off all the keymaps instead of doing it manually. I have never had any crashes from task switching. If you are experiencing that, you might find that having your in game and desktop resolution synced fixes the issue. Also might check to see if you are running windowed/fullscreen in STO config.

I run a Nvidia 460 at 1920x1080 on an i7 with 8gb RAM on a 42 inch Samsung monitor, everything in game maxed except the shadows, and it looks awesome and is stable as can be.

I think people are quick to blame the game. Usually its the folks who are "experts" who constantly tweak away at their system trying to squeeze every iota of performance out of the machine. These are the same folks who don't ever seem to read release notes.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
If you look at the release notes with the newest Nvidia drivers, you will see where they specifically list Start Trek Online as having a stuttering issue. I figured out that if you turn shadows to med or low, the stuttering seems to go away.

I task switch all the time while playing STO because it is the easiest (ok, laziest) way to turn off all of my mapped powers to by logitech game keyboard. Alt-tabbing out and then back in turns off all the keymaps instead of doing it manually. I have never had any crashes from task switching. If you are experiencing that, you might find that having your in game and desktop resolution synced fixes the issue. Also might check to see if you are running windowed/fullscreen in STO config.

I run a Nvidia 460 at 1920x1080 on an i7 with 8gb RAM on a 42 inch Samsung monitor, everything in game maxed except the shadows, and it looks awesome and is stable as can be.

I think people are quick to blame the game. Usually its the folks who are "experts" who constantly tweak away at their system trying to squeeze every iota of performance out of the machine. These are the same folks who don't ever seem to read release notes.
Fixing a problem is a process of fault finding, some thing I'm use to with my back ground. I've found a quick fix for now. The game does look good I'm happy with the frame rate jump over my old 800GT and much more so from my old X2-3800+ rig.

What type of frame rate you getting 19*10 on 42in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xth3xr34p3rx View Post
i run the game full screen and task switch when i want i need to, don't have any issues on that.. is the task swichcrash happening with any other programs/games with the same settings?

when it come to the fps jumps thats when shadows are set to high and its loading in the texture stream (mainly on Ground), if set to medium/low does not have an effect on fps but ye shadows are a major cause in fps lag on any game lol, i do get that on mine but im used to it so im too lazy to drop the shadows down to low settings.

It just crashes on this game at different desktop/games screen sizes. The other games I play ATM are all fine. (I'm waiting to join m-player in star craft 2 as I write this)
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Just an update all. After the newest patch the game task switches happily at every res available. In window, full screen or maximized window. I'm still running the same drivers and hardware as before.

loving the 80 to 120+ FPS
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-15-2010, 12:04 PM
yup, the gen code for the engine performance in season 3 is a sweet boost.. i must admit i myself can't wait to get a 580 thou. just waitin a bit longer for them to drop in price