Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship-based dueling
07-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't think there's a way to do this, is there? I often game with a buddy of mine that's about the same level. He's an engie in an Intrepic and I'm tac in a Galaxy... and in between missions I want to be able to challenge him to see who'll come out on top!

Any plans to implement something like this? I'm surprised I don't see it more often on the forums here.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
I don't think there's a way to do this, is there? I often game with a buddy of mine that's about the same level. He's an engie in an Intrepic and I'm tac in a Galaxy... and in between missions I want to be able to challenge him to see who'll come out on top!

Any plans to implement something like this? I'm surprised I don't see it more often on the forums here.
Go to Ker'rat. If you are both feds. You can try using the PvP Bug. I believe it works that if you do a PvP match from the que while in Ker'vat you will come back as a Klink.

Then fly off to one of the planets out of the way and have at it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Cool, but I was hoping to be able to duel a buddy without exploiting the game!! =)
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Cool, but I was hoping to be able to duel a buddy without exploiting the game!! =)
Not possible, unfortunately. There are always question on whether we get 1vs 1, 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 and so on, but so far I am not aware of any definite plans.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-22-2010, 03:15 AM
I think 1v1 dueling will create more troubles, than its worth it. Because lets face it, not all ship/ship captain/configuration are equal, so it would create alot of QQ about the usual "nerf that, nerf this"....
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-22-2010, 03:34 AM
The mechanics are already in place for duels...

Pop-up window to invite.. Limited by distance (like trading in space is).
Upon accpetance both players are pulled into an empty instance (like those used in DSEs).
Both players start 15-20k away.
Any player can leave when they are out of combat (just like DSEs).

The only real new mechanic which would need to be developed and would be nice, but not necessary, is to make sure that a defeated person respawns 15-20k away from the current position of the person who killed him.. Otherwise dueling could be abused through griefing.

I hope they add in dueling one day.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-22-2010, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
I think 1v1 dueling will create more troubles, than its worth it. Because lets face it, not all ship/ship captain/configuration are equal, so it would create alot of QQ about the usual "nerf that, nerf this"....
That is true. The game is balanced around team fights, not single player fights. Still, if people want to duel, let them. If there are no XP and other rewards for it, the pressure to also try to balance the game around that would be lower. It's just like inviting someone to your bridge. No reward for it other then the social interaction.

Of course, if there is ever Open PvP, all this might become troublesome, depending on how it is implemented.