Lt. Commander
I'm not really up on the history of rank titles, so forgive me if I am missing something obvious to the rest of the STO community. Why have have a "Lower Half" and "Upper Half" grouping for Rear Admirals? Was it too hard to think up another name for a rank between Rear Admiral and Vice Admiral? Did Vice Admiral have to come so soon? Perhaps there is a real-life basis for having Lower v. Upper? I guess I hope so because it sounds pretty lame.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-16-2010, 10:30 PM
yes, lower and upper half RA comes from the US Navy, lower half used to be called Commodore in the Navy. People have repeatedly suggested to the devs to just use Commodore for the lvl 40-45 rank, and Rear ADM for the new lvl 45-50 rank, but I guess that would be too confusing. As it stands now, with the UH and LH RAs you aren't addressed correctly by NPCs (both should be addressed as "RA" or "ADM" but NPCs use "RA, LH" etc.), but Devs are trying to remedy that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
yes, lower and upper half RA comes from the US Navy, lower half used to be called Commodore in the Navy. People have repeatedly suggested to the devs to just use Commodore for the lvl 40-45 rank, and Rear ADM for the new lvl 45-50 rank, but I guess that would be too confusing. As it stands now, with the UH and LH RAs you aren't addressed correctly by NPCs (both should be addressed as "RA" or "ADM" but NPCs use "RA, LH" etc.), but Devs are trying to remedy that.
Thank you for the clarification! I was afraid of yet another thing with STO that wouldn't make any sense...
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
It's just a bloody long rank description on that small upper left corner of the screen, lol. "Rear Admiral (Lower Half) 1" in cumparison to "Captain 1" for example. :p