Lt. Commander
1.) With much anticiaption for the Star Trek Online game; Does anyone know when this game will be released for full game play?

2.) For example: Will I need to purchase the StarTrekOnline game software at Wal-mart or will the game be fully downloadable from the Internet?

Thanks
CaptainLoQTipOfBorg Out!
Lt. Commander
# 42 Welcome
03-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Welcome!

Hope you can show the whole online gaming community what an elite game combat sceme should be, make us all proud and set a new standard for combat and skills...

Cant wait to try it out.

Good Luck!
Lt. Commander
When Will The StarTrekOnline Game Be Released?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) When will the Star Trek Online Game Be Released?
2.) Will I need to buy software for it or will the download be available from the site?

CaptainLoQTipOfBorg Out
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLoQTipOfBorg View Post
When Will The StarTrekOnline Game Be Released?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) When will the Star Trek Online Game Be Released?
2.) Will I need to buy software for it or will the download be available from the site?

CaptainLoQTipOfBorg Out
1.) This is the correct place to ask this [ . ]
2.) This is not the correct place to ask this [x]

We do not know yet, we guess sometime around late 2009 or early 2010 but that is only speculation.
please visit the discussion thread for more further information or use the search function.
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-25-2009, 02:28 PM
How often does he get Fleetwood Mac jokes about his name? I'm super ready to fight I am excited to play your game.
Lt. Commander
# 46 Follow up questions
03-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Nice to meet you!
---

What Star Trek combat games have you played in the past?

Will the combat be on par or better, & as realistic as the historic Star Fleet Battles, Starfleet Academy, Starfleet Command & Bridge Commander series? If 'better' What is the defining feature that makes STO combat a greater triumph in the evolution of Star Trek gaming combat?

Will there be: Drones,Scatterpacks,Mines,Transporter mines,Electronic Warfare, tractor beams, exotic alien weapons, marines, (PPD, ESG etc)???

Will weapon damage be physics based and travel through ships making angle of attack valid tactics?

How are you handling shield facings? Can your reinforce or drop individual shield facings?

Sub-System targeting (how much will you be able to upgrade individual sub systems?

High Energy turns & breakdowns?

Ejecting Warp cores and antimatter storage modules?

Erratic Maneuvers?
---
Simply. Will STO be more than Phasers and Photons and variations of phasers & photons?
---

Forgive me if any of these have been answered. I've been out of the loop awhile
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice to meet you Steve and I look forward to seeing the combat systems first-hand in STO. I hope I can get a BETA invite to test it out.

Lt. Commander
# 48
03-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I think you've got a pretty fun job. hi
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinneas View Post
Nice to meet you!
---

What Star Trek combat games have you played in the past?

Will the combat be on par or better, & as realistic as the historic Star Fleet Battles, Starfleet Academy, Starfleet Command & Bridge Commander series? If 'better' What is the defining feature that makes STO combat a greater triumph in the evolution of Star Trek gaming combat?

Will there be: Drones,Scatterpacks,Mines,Transporter mines,Electronic Warfare, tractor beams, exotic alien weapons, marines, (PPD, ESG etc)???

Will weapon damage be physics based and travel through ships making angle of attack valid tactics?

How are you handling shield facings? Can your reinforce or drop individual shield facings?

Sub-System targeting (how much will you be able to upgrade individual sub systems?

High Energy turns & breakdowns?

Ejecting Warp cores and antimatter storage modules?

Erratic Maneuvers?
---
Simply. Will STO be more than Phasers and Photons and variations of phasers & photons?
---

Forgive me if any of these have been answered. I've been out of the loop awhile
I like the level of depth you're hoping is achieved. I hope many of these comments come to life in the game. Many games dummy things down. It'd be nice if this game had a bit of an advanced mode to allow more depth full players to really get into the game.
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-27-2009, 04:30 PM
I sure hope so too.

Long term-satisfaction or dis-satisfaction with Star Trek combat games is a well documented matter of public record for sure and games that reduce Star Trek combat to arcade levels have never done well and have been considered (and awarded by G4TV) some of the worst games EVER made. Not something I ever expected to see happen with a Trek title, yet that is what we have been battling since SFC3 for sure.

It is so easy to understand why so many consumers have been so angry for so long when they have asked for decent combat in every title since SFC3 and they don't deliver...then the games get crapped on in the media and the community and the bad mood continues.

There is a reason why the SFB series endures since 1975 and the SFC series endured, was considered historic by academia & was one of the best selling Star Trek combat games of all time (and they did it in 1998 with NO Atari backing or MMO budget). A superior combat experience

Also: There is a simple reason why Bridge Commander was popular but never as successful as SFC. 3D combat but it only used Phasers & photons and variants. Thought 3D, the combat was weak compared to SFC.

Also: There is super simple reason why Star Trek Legacy has been one of the most consumer hated Trek game in a long time. No 3D, Phasers and Photons only. It was not even on par with a game made in 1998.
---

It boggles this persons mind that Atari has not yet brought in or contacted some of the folks associated with the best selling Trek combat games since 1975. :cough: Steve Cole/ADB :cough: If Atari wants to really do it right...they need the people who have lived and breathed ST combat since 1975. I would like to believe a new crew could create a Trek combat experience superior to all that has come before, but without the experience...how?
---
If this is the Steve Nix associated with Elite Force 2, I can absolutely understand why they would have brought him in. The Elite Force gameplay has almost been a must for many in this community back to 2004. HYBRID MMO was the rally cry and folks wanted that fast paced combat for bording parties and ground missions.

So I guess a question I should have asked is: WHAT aspects of STO combat are you working on? The star ship combat or melee combat?
--
"Combat is the bread and butter of an MMO." (Peter Molyneux) and if you can excuse me this mighty IMO, I believe I can state the idea for this MMO s t a r t e d with the combat players who came from the SFC community who never wanted to leave the game experience after battle. I am not saying this group matters more than another at this stage, yet point out the ones who have been at it the longest and who can be your bread and butter.

Good luck folks. my fingers have been crossed for this project since it started in this community. It would be very sad if after all this time, key things have been forgotten in all the confusion and changing of hands. As Obama says, you should know what you are talking about and to jump in and want to make this MMO and disregard the history of there being people involved in Star Trek Online, talking about this & helping build this community and build expectations for STO for a decade.

Reading the books and watching all the films is great and you folks rock...but as so many like to remind us...this is a GAME. Why did you not all play SFB for a six months, then SFA,KA,SFC, SFC EAW, SFC OP for six months and then Bridge Commander for a month and Legacy for a week?

There is another complete history you 'seem' to have totally forgot about...and never talk about.

...the History of Star Trek 'combat' Gaming and what STO brings to the history other than finally letting us have a place to park our ships and have some coffee together when we are done with missions.

I'm sorry if I offend. : very low, very sustaind bow :

((There are other folks who have a better grasp of ST gaming history out there then me and if any of them need to correct me, please do. This is a good time to hope Victor1st has compiled his histories. I shall inquire.))