Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
07-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themagikz View Post
I'll begin the sermon for my computer then, the funeral will be the day season 2 is released. (Death by 3 1/2 lbs Collin's Michigan Axe)
I would advice some C-4 for a more "going with a bang" effect.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
07-18-2010, 05:03 AM
The problem with your argument is your sense of entitlement. You want everything you want at the price you want when you want it and how you want it. It's like going to a cake maker, saying "I'll buy a vanilla cake, now layer the top with chocolate and cherries and sprinkles free for me. It's still cake right? Like Star Trek is still Star Trek, with or without the bells and whistles. Or if you want an in-game example it's like you're saying, I've bought the game, I paid my 15/month, now I want to be RA5 in 1 hour and be damned if I don't get it.

You don't get the work that they've put into it, worth the amount you've spent and the additional work that creating the additional content requires. Sure your 15/month subscription pays for some of that work, the core features that are implemented into the game via the Season releases and over the course of a Season as well. It's not like saying they have not improved the game one iota and are instead shovelling all their resources into paid content. Everyone gets the main features that they've put into the update.

The C-store team is a seperate team of developers, funded by purchases from the C-store. Without the content that people buy, there would be no C-store team and thus none of the content that you're raging about. We just wouldn't see any of it. Sure it may come in, years and years down the road, but the fact is that there wouldn't be any of these available now if it weren't for the store. So now, instead of just wanting your cake and eating it too, you'd rather deny everyone else the chance to have a richer experience because they're willling to pay for it and you aren't?

No one is forcing you to buy any of anything that the C-store has available. You pick and choose what you'd like and what you wouldn't like. Personally, I don't see any point in the bridge packs or races on the C-store. I like some of the costume variants and would buy some of those but not all. You act as if they're making you buy all of everything that's available or you will not be able to play any more. The game is perfectly playable and enjoyable without any of those extras. Stop beating your fists and get off the floor before you choke.

Okay, let's assume you're not being a whiny brat and actually have a point, that everything in the C-store should have been included in the core game. That would require having a larger development team, one that integrates the current core development team as well as the C-store team. That plus all the resources they require would mean a higher cost. Would you be willing to pay a higher subscription rate because of that? There you go, you're turning purple again. Try to breathe.

You quote WoW to say that you pay for the game and expansions as well as the subscription but they have a totally different system. Do they really release new areas and mechanics and content as patches? Or do they save it all up for expansions? Do they get free Seasons like we do? I can't even think of a parallel for the new T5 ships that we're getting free because nothing to do with your character in WoW is big enough or requires as much effort. (As an aside, they spent two weeks just working on the Saucer Seperation mechanic,. Dyou think WoW would have given that away?)

You whine that WoW et. al gives you more character slots and ship slots but you forget how much resources a character, with bridge officers and ships take. You count one character as one character, not one character as, say 12 if you've got one captain, seven BOs and five ships. Count the three slots that Cryptic has given and... you get 26 slots on one server. So... how does that compute again?

There are no new features of the game that are placed in the C-Store. All the features that have been introduced, and promised are included in the core game. The C-Store merely has some bits and pieces of interest. Your game is by no means incomplete if you don't have everything that's on the C-store. I mean, seriously, what use will you have for that many bridge and costume variants. You can't implement them all at once. Some ships admittedly are unique, but again their use in no way detracts from the core game. I don't mind in the slightest that the Nebula and Excelsior are going to be on the C-store considering that I did not expect them to be in-game at all when they weren't introduced at launch. And if you don't support their addition now or don't want to buy them, the choice is simple. Don't buy them. Don't buy them if you don't think that the time the C-store team spent developing them was not worth it for you. That is your option right there. That is what your money will get you. You don't have to have them. But you say they have unique abilities? The devs have already said that they have unique abilities because they have detractions, they are less capable then equivalent ships that lack those abilities. That is the trade-off that is made when making your choice. So, in its way there is no loss because you don't have them.

Learn the difference between need and want. Want means things that are desirable but that you can live without and your Star Trek Online experience will be in no way deminished by the absense of these extras. Needs are things that are game-breaking or changing that you cannot do without.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
07-18-2010, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandras
WoW does offer the same as cryptic (mount and in game pets)
One mount and what 3 pets =/= the ******** going on in this game

And in EVE you can even pay for your play time with in game currency lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
07-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Can someone gimme the abridged version of the OP?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
07-18-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasensal
Can someone gimme the abridged version of the OP?
c-store = bad

free content = good
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
07-18-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeleys
i agree with you on nearly everything you said thus far, but some of the stuff that is in the c-store should of been in the game at launch, mainly races and ships... but on the other hand some stuff should belong in the c-store. like character,ship slots etc... basicly nothing that is "content"
that is always open to debate. i myself was quite annoyed that the nebula and the excelsior are hitting the store and those ships should probably have been in from the start (although i believe there was a licence issue) and i want them either in as free or have some way to earn them in game. that has not changed. i will buy them as its my choice but i dont believe that a c-store only option is the correct way to go. i dont need the nebula to play the game, i just would like to have it.

but i will buy the nebula if the funds pay for the the ambassador class and helps improve other areas of the game faster.

as i said before, if you get rid of the store and updates slow down, then how many people would complain cryptic are not releasing content fast enough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
07-18-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeleys
but this is all pointless becasue
The idiots with too much disposable income outnumber those with common sense 1000 to 1

See the articles about My Little Pony on WoW
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
07-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupgoblin View Post
First, a little information.

I have been hanging out here since August 2008, I played open Beta, early release and I pre-ordered the game before it was released to the public. We were well informed that there would be a C-store in the game before the game was available for purchase and knowing that, I still purchased the pre-order game as well as the pre-order LTS. There are a few things in the C-store that I purchased because I thought they would be nice to have, there are certain thing in the C-store that I do not want at all.

You are not required to purchase anything in the C-store. You can still make Admiral and beyond without making a C-store purchase. You can play all the missions without buying anything from the C-store. Your dog will not die if you don't purchase items from the C-store. And your family will still love you if you do not buy things from the C-store.


Now for my questions...


Why was this not put in the proper forum? The C-store forum is a better place to put feedback for this type of thing.

If you were opposed to the C-store why did you buy the game?

Do you really think that they will get rid of the C-store?

How does the C-store give someone an advantage?


Do you write long letters to the cable company (I pay you every month for my service, but I don't get the PPV movies for free. I feel ripped off) ?

Honestly....the C-store will not go away, it was planned before the game began. No amount of text will get it removed, It is ok if you don't like it for whatever reason (can't afford it, morally opposed to it, mom won't let you have it). But it is here to stay.
In regards to your questions, I shall answer them in order

1. It's a discussion forum, it does not matter where I place my grievances. (Unless you are blind this has clearly turned into a discussion)

2. When i purchased the game, I did not look at the in-depth effects the C-Store would have on my interests of Star Trek (Be it that it has prohibited me from obtaining many of the features and looks I imagined when I bought that game (from watching all the episodes of Star Trek: TNG)

3. They won't get rid of it, but as I said, If you took the bloody time to read my origional post, They should reform it, Drastically.

4. Now you've made me hate-rage, And I warned of this in my post. Think about it for 2 ****in seconds why don't you? Races with abilities you can't obtain, Ships with abilities you cannot purchase in-game. Separation of the Saucer-Section. Clearly you have not done research into the most minuscule details that could effect the outcome of a situational battle. Please, go play risk.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
07-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeleys
c-store = bad

free content = good
We get more free content than C-Store stuff, and the C-Store is primarily fluff you don't need to enjoy the game. Not only that, the more money going to the development house, the more free content they can generate. Not seeing the issue with Cryptic being run like a business, which it is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
07-18-2010, 05:09 AM
i must reluctantly aggree (because the wall of text crit me for 999999 dmg and now i have a headache) that the ship skins races and bridge packs should all be free or earnable wihtout having to pay for them via the c store, im fine with them selling extra respecs and char slots and renames in there, if you want more then come standard you can get them and cryptic doesnt blow money doing it for you that way.

but the OP is quite right that we should all have access to the ships skins and races simply because we pay and play monthly, no need to cstore stuff that shouldnt be in there! hey another idea for something they could sell in the cstore, maybe some original trek sounding music they develope themselves, call it sto-tunes. i wouldnt buy any but some might and that could fund free ships and bridge packs and races!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 PM.