Lt. Commander
# 51
07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
There's a reason why we didn't open up the Diplomatic Corps to Klingons. We felt it didn't make any sense.

<snip>

However, what I think your really want right now is more content that makes sense for Klingons. In which case, my answer remains the same. We're working on rectifying that imbalance. However, it's going to take time.
I agree. The imbalance isn't nearly fixed, but you guys have made great strides with what I've seen so far on Tribble. A diplomatic corps doesn't make sense for the KDF, but I do hope people are brainstorming an alternative system that can be unique to the Klingon faction. It could be related to conquering planets - maybe a combination of ground/space combat for the inital assault, and then a non-combat portion to sign the terms of surrender. Just something to balance out the fact that the Feds get something the KDF doesn't.

That said, I know this stuff takes time. Until then, keep the missions coming!
Lt. Commander
# 52
07-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Pretty sure no one round here actualy wants the FDC copied over lock stock and barrel to the klingon side, as you said it just wouldn't fit. there is a thread in the tribble general discussion forum with some idea's for a klingon style diplomacy system, some of the idea's in there are quite good.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=167893

As I said before i think the biggest reason for the 'uproar' atm is becuase season 2 was hailed by the devs as a klingon patch for so long and most feel somewhat let down. that and the refits, I seriously can't imagine it would take too long to do a little recoding on some models already in game to get a couple of quick and dirty klingon refits out. (unless of course there is far more work involved than I am envisioning, quite possible.) Hell there's two threads in this section with suggestions that could be used.
Lt. Commander
# 53
07-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatness View Post

As I said before i think the biggest reason for the 'uproar' atm is becuase season 2 was hailed by the devs as a klingon patch for so long and most feel somewhat let down. that and the refits, I seriously can't imagine it would take too long to do a little recoding on some models already in game to get a couple of quick and dirty klingon refits out. (unless of course there is far more work involved than I am envisioning, quite possible.) Hell there's two threads in this section with suggestions that could be used.
As far as the refits are concerened there really is NO excuse for the Klingons not getting some as Dstahl already posted that the design team knocked 2 of the Fed ones up in an evening!
Lt. Commander
# 54
07-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the reply StormShade.

I think we all agree that Klingon players weren't/aren't asking for a "Diplomtic Corps" identical to the Federation. It is nice that you responded to this point with examples from the show and reasons why you didn't include it. THAT is the kind of communication that we all love to see.

I think what still isn't coming across to us player from you Cryptic folk (no pun intended) is what you really plan on adding. Not what you didn't add, and why you didn't add it. Like I said, it's great that you even took your time to respond to that, but it didn't really answer the question of "what's next for us?"

Have Klingon players been asking for more mission and PvE based content? Absolutely, and despite some of the negative nellies here, we appriciate the work you are doing. It just seems like some of the new content comes way out of left field. Obviously you aren't obligated or required to talk to us at all, but I think some of the concern comes not just from the little content Klingons are getting, but from what we are actually getting. I admit I have been gone for a few months, but I've been scanning the forums and I cannot find where anyone requested a new Carrier class ship, but I do see a lot of people asking for new Cruisers, or at least different skins for our existing ships.

Can't think of a good way to close my point so... there you have it.
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
However, what I think your really want right now is more content that makes sense for Klingons. In which case, my answer remains the same. We're working on rectifying that imbalance. However, it's going to take time.

How about a first step then and adding refit ships for Klingons to the Season 2 update. As per dstahl it only takes a few hours to design 2 of them.

The point is, you have many Klingons like me that have been waiting since release for the promised updates. We are at max level, and we can't really use low level episodes. At max level all we can do is PvP, since we can't form a group for Infected, rtc. due to lack of players most of the time. At least let us PvP then with the same toys the Federation gets.
Lt. Commander
# 56
07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaput View Post
Oddly enough they don't need to post to have read everything.

Maybe the Cryptic community folks need to start a Blizzard style approach and constantly remind people not to fish/beg/plead for dev posts and that they do actually read stuff without replying to everything >.>
OK, that's simple. Please do not fish/beg/plead for dev posts. And we do read many, many things without replying to everything. If I replied to every thread I'd read, that's all I'd do.

(Bonus tip: I stop reading a thread any time I see the word "petition." They're against the forum rules, and annoying besides.)

Will I wade into a ragefest? Not normally. I find that people are more intent on saying AAARRRRUUUGHHHH!!!! I'M ANGRY!!!!! ON THE INTERNET!!!! than actually providing feedback and/or having a reasonable discussion. (Although being called an "incompetent cupcake" has been a highlight of my year. :p )

Now onto the topic at hand ...

I will totally agree with you that the KDF needs more ships, customization, items, stories, etc. It's a process. We're working on it!

We have a small team. Not everything can be done *immediately.* (For example, I'm the only writer on the project, and I'm cross-training in content design so I can help add some things that wouldn't get done otherwise.)

The producers set the schedules, and Dstahl and his crew have to balance everything that everybody wants and figure out how to get the most out of the time and resources available.

Episodes take a lot of manhours from multiple people. (me, content designers, artists, combat designers, maybe software if new tech is involved) So it makes sense to consider content that either faction can play, like the new weekly and high-level Episodes.

I did, however, fight for (and get!) tech that allows me to give different dialogue to the KDF and Starfleet. In the weekly episodes, you'll find that each side has a different reason for helping the Deferi, for example.

I think Season 2 is turning out pretty great. The Klingon-only Episodes are some of my favorites, and I hope I get to do more, because I have more KDF stories that I want to tell. Season 3 is shaping up to be cool as well, and we should be adding more things that players have been asking for.
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Quote:
There's a reason why we didn't open up the Diplomatic Corps to Klingons. We felt it didn't make any sense.

I realize that there have been times when we've seen Klingon Diplomacy at work in the movies and television shows. However, the way that Klingon Diplomacy works is much different from the way federation Diplomacy works, and this was meant to be a non combat system, something the Fed players have been asking for.

The two are vastly different cultures. In "A Matter of Honor" we got to watch Riker become the first ever Star Fleet Officer to participate in an Officer Exchange Program with the KDF. During which time he spent a good deal of time studying the culture. What was the first thing he did once on board his new vessel serving as First Officer?

He beat the crap out of the ships second in command.

We've seen countless stories of incidents where Klingon "Diplomats" reach a "consensus" by simply "removing" those who have differing opinions from the conversation. The society is not ran by the pen, but rather by the sword, and sometimes, daggers in the night.

So, if you're telling me that you, the representatives of the "Mighty" Klingon Empire, have decided that you want to set aside your differences and come to the table and talk about all your problems instead of solving them like the warriors you are, I'll go try and convince the powers that be that you should be able to
join the Diplomatic Corps as well.

Thanks,

Stormshade
The point was not about Diplomacy itself, it was a reply to your post saying that, we Klingons, were getting more than the Feds. My point is that several episodes do not equal a whole new game mechanic with it's own rewards, one of which is the use of Klingon BO's on Fed ships.

If Klingons don't do peaceful diplomacy how is it that members of the Klingon Empire will serve on-board the ships of a faction they are at war with! Apparently the Feds who achieve this have done so through peaceful means?

There is also the lack of new ships for the Klingon faction, surely out of the 5 ships (3 refit + 2 C-store) some time could have been found to implement Klingon refits or more ships?
Lt. Commander
# 58
07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatness View Post
Pretty sure no one round here actualy wants the FDC copied over lock stock and barrel to the klingon side, as you said it just wouldn't fit. there is a thread in the tribble general discussion forum with some idea's for a klingon style diplomacy system, some of the idea's in there are quite good.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=167893

See, that's the something I don't get. I can't remember a single time that the devs referred to Season 2 as 'The Klingon Patch' or anything to that effect. I recall them mentioning that there was a lot of Klingon stuff planned for Season 2 and it looks like we're getting most of it with some more on the way after release (the biggest thing for me being the spiffy PvE content, something I've wanted since launch). I think a lot of the Klingon faction hard-liners got it into their heads that this was going to be a mostly Klingon-centric update and went ballistic when their assumption didn't pan out.
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
There is also the lack of new ships for the Klingon faction, surely out of the 5 ships (3 refit + 2 C-store) some time could have been found to implement Klingon refits or more ships?

Not to mention the design devs are still working on a fed ship because the threw a fit that the armor did'nt do what the shows did instead of trying to get a couple of new ships out for us before season 2 release and work on the armor later. heck I'd be happy at this point for a couple new skins for ships that are already there. Feds have a bunch of brand new designs never seen in the movies or the shows so why cant there be Klingon New designs as well. In a perfect world for every fed ship skin released there should be a Klingon Ship skin released as well that would begin to make Klingons happy. Instead Feds get what like 10 skins now plus the 3 per class they already had to our 4 new skins along with the ones we started with. There has got to be a way for the design team to split it up and release one skin per faction every time a new one is released.
Lt. Commander
# 60
07-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hafoc View Post
The point was not about Diplomacy itself, it was a reply to your post saying that, we Klingons, were getting more than the Feds. My point is that several episodes do not equal a whole new game mechanic with it's own rewards, one of which is the use of Klingon BO's on Fed ships.

If Klingons don't do peaceful diplomacy how is it that members of the Klingon Empire will serve on-board the ships of a faction they are at war with! Apparently the Feds who achieve this have done so through peaceful means?

You can't get blood from a stone.

They're working on new things. They're slowly building up the KDF ... season by season, fleshing them out.

They can't do everything wanted and do it all yesterday.

It's frustrating especially if you're into playing video games which are instantly gratifying disposable entertainment.

But not even Scotty could work the miracle that some posters expect.

This thread is about all you're going to get.

Let's Recap:
Klingons to Devs ... "We want more stuff! We're not complete! This sucks!"
Devs to Klingons ... "We agree. We are working on giving you more stuff. And here's a bunch of reasons why things aren't working out as smoothly as you were hoping."

That you got that much is amazing. That's part of transparency and open communication.

You should appreciate that more than these forums indicate. Because other companies are far more stand offish and antagonistic to their customers on these topics. Internal goals stay internal.