Lt. Commander
# 11
07-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcturus1 View Post
You don't say that to offend me? Well, why is it that someone always does this? My complaint about the TF is legitimate. We beat the TF, re-read ... we BEAT the TF ... but only after hours of tedious repeatable boredom. Sure, experience at playing it will make it easier but I'll never play it again so the point is moot. It's just a horrible TF. I liked Terradome, that was actually a fun TF that I would replay.

My team/Fleet is VERY experienced and we have been playing MMO's/TF's for years in this and other games. We use Vent and coordinate and even watch the strategy videos before attempting them. So, please take the elitism and stick it.

The map is still broken, the respawns are broken, and the sheer number of enemies need to be scaled down. You don't have to agree but don't make assumptions about my team either.

All of us used build planners and not only our ships but our officers are specc'd out for these TF's. Again ... assumption. You can chalk it up to having done it for the first time I suppose but my review is simply that . My experience having done this TF the first time. It was an awdul and tedious experience. There seems to be a concensus on this TF as well if you read the other posts.
No your fleet is not very experienced if you are only just doing the cure now and it took you 'hours' considering it used to be a lot harder than it now is. I agree with you that it could be improved - but i'd hate to see it get easier as it is no challenge as it is. Having done it a few more time you will probably take about 40 minutes to run thorugh it.

It's not elitism its just plain cold truth by the way - which is why someone 'always says this' as you point out. This time it happens to be my turn.

My fleet isn;t elitest because we took the time to do progression runs and really nail it so we can now clear it in half an hour - we just chose to do that rather than complain on the forum and announce that we're never doing it again like you did lol.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Some good points Dory. We did try to not agro the nodes at times but found that we had to be pretty split apart in order to be able to cover all of the workers and often the node spawns agro'd anyway due to movement. At one point I did as you are suggesting and just stayed back to rez but that is almost as boring as constant repeated death. If I can ever bring myself to do this TF again, I will bring some of your suggestions along with me but I fear it wont be for a very long time, if ever. Thanks again.

Glad to hear the map works on Klingon side. I do have an Orion who is not yet BG level but quickly getting there. Chances are, if I do this again it will be with her.
Do aggro the node groups instantly and violenty - they shopuld all be dead bar the heavy tac by the time the next generator lights up.

Assuming you have a couple of tacs in your group you should have a red army by now anyway (security escourt combined with tactical initiative).

Slaughter the spawns as a group and move on, the workers that spawn later and approach generator 1 spawn way down the map and have to walk through your group to get there so they die instantly anyway. There is absolutely no need to leave anyone on generator 1 for long after number 2 is lit.

Trick is to avoid the old tactic of leaveing a man on every generator as there really is no need.

Rezzing should not be an issue because no-one should be dieing at any point during any of these sequences if you are kitted correctly, have hypos and play well.

Put simply people abuse these missions because they can't do them when you get right down to it. Sorry but it is the truth. And taking hours of repeated zerg spawning qualifies and 'can't do it'. But then you have a fleet so you now go through the process we all went through and refine your tactics, practice until you can do it in your sleep - or you do what you have done - whine and never play it again.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wd_harding
Do

Put simply people abuse these missions because they can't do them when you get right down to it. Sorry but it is the truth. And taking hours of repeated zerg spawning qualifies and 'can't do it'. But then you have a fleet so you now go through the process we all went through and refine your tactics, practice until you can do it in your sleep - or you do what you have done - whine and never play it again.
See what you are describing doesn't sound interesting or fun. Zerg mobs spawning. Truly, I would send an entire army down to deal with that many borg, not 5 people. This is grinding at it's worst and apparently it's something you like to do as you mentioned in your earlier statement.

I don't want to grind Task Forces. I want to play them and complete them. I have only so many finite hours in this life and do not want to spend them all in front of a computer "perfecting" how to not die over and over because a task force is unneccesarily difficult. Your idea of a seasoned player is someone who never leaves the house and is willing to toil away for hours on a game. I'm sorry, as much as I love playing, I already have a job. This is relaxation for me, this is fun, this is Star Trek. Sure, I have played these types of games for years but always in moderation.

I approach these things as an experienced casual player. Perhaps task forces are not for casual players is what you are saying. I should be "serious" and devote all of my free time to learn how to beat a game (and I already spend enough of my free time on it). But I don't see it that way. It should be completable by a team of 5 on their first run (or at least second or third) without so much frustration and aggravation. If you want more diffculty, then there should be an accolade system where you can make the task force more difficult as you get better at mastering it and that way all of the players get some sort of incentive to at least play it, if not master it at harder levels.

These forums are here for feedback. I gave mine. You don't have to agree with it but you also don't have to tear it apart either. You are in the minority on this thread. The other guy who had your position came in offered constructive criticism on how to accomplish the Task Force (and I thank him for that) whereas you decided it would be better to insult me and say I'm a whiner. No sir, I am giving FEEDBACK. So, we don't agree ... fine let's just call it that and that we both have our very important reasons why we feel the way we do. I don't like to grind and you do. Easy enough.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Quote:
See what you are describing doesn't sound interesting or fun. Zerg mobs spawning. Truly, I would send an entire army down to deal with that many borg, not 5 people. This is grinding at it's worst and apparently it's something you like to do as you mentioned in your earlier statement.

I don't want to grind Task Forces. I want to play them and complete them. I have only so many finite hours in this life and do not want to spend them all in front of a computer "perfecting" how to not die over and over because a task force is unneccesarily difficult. Your idea of a seasoned player is someone who never leaves the house and is willing to toil away for hours on a game. I'm sorry, as much as I love playing, I already have a job. This is relaxation for me, this is fun, this is Star Trek. Sure, I have played these types of games for years but always in moderation.
Despite being able to beat the STFs, even with a modified old strat such as no-aggro, I find that a zerg of mobs does not equal difficult (or interesting), it just equals a bloodbath that somehow doesn't immerse me in a Star Trek MMO. Cure is a first generation STF, it is a Hack 'n Slash through masses of opponents with one idea, the Transformers, reused. I think it is one of the reasons I like the mixed aggro/no-aggro approach as it at least appears as Starfleet are outthinking the Borg and not being lured into a massive ground war.

Quote:
I approach these things as an experienced casual player. Perhaps task forces are not for casual players is what you are saying. I should be "serious" and devote all of my free time to learn how to beat a game (and I already spend enough of my free time on it). But I don't see it that way. It should be completable by a team of 5 on their first run (or at least second or third) without so much frustration and aggravation. If you want more diffculty, then there should be an accolade system where you can make the task force more difficult as you get better at mastering it and that way all of the players get some sort of incentive to at least play it, if not master it at harder levels.
I had thought I read at some point there would be a difficulty slider for STFs, I'm not sure if that is still on the table or not. To expand on my ideas I suggested before, I would like to see more variety in an STF and more that depends upon player thought and co-operation rather than body count. The Scan portion of Terradome is an example or the forcefield/platform portion of Infected's Boss fight. Those two require some thought and co-ordination and I think are a fun part of an otherwise trench-style combat STF.

Quote:
These forums are here for feedback. I gave mine. You don't have to agree with it but you also don't have to tear it apart either. You are in the minority on this thread. The other guy who had your position came in offered constructive criticism on how to accomplish the Task Force (and I thank him for that) whereas you decided it would be better to insult me and say I'm a whiner. No sir, I am giving FEEDBACK. So, we don't agree ... fine let's just call it that and that we both have our very important reasons why we feel the way we do. I don't like to grind and you do. Easy enough.
It is a truth unfortunately that some players will dismiss any complaint and any experience that differs from theirs as "whinging" ("whining" for you US readers). They don't see themselves as elitest, of course, they are "better" than that. I have found in doing STF with both PUGS and fleet groups that there are many levels of time, practice, skill familiarity and STF familiarity that greatly affect how smoothly a run goes. Some players will be helpful others will simply take the opportunity to blame the inexperienced (in this specific instance) for their lack of success. It is harder to assist someone through an STF they find difficult than it is to simply write the issue off as "their fault".

My last thought on STFs which we haven't touched on yet is the reward. I don't look for overpowered rewards, I like STO not being as gear-centric as other games. However something more interesting than what is offered would pique my interest. Ideas other than slightly altered kits might be as follows

The "each time" loots are a single item which is rolled on just like an item loot
  • Respec token for first time completion
  • Transwarp skill (5 uses) to Gamma Orionis Fleet each time (stackable)
  • Additional Ship token each time
  • Very Rare (Purple) Bridge Officer drop each time*

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

* I know about Terradome's Borg Officer but seriously....I knock myself out to get one? I don't recall the Captains ever saying in a show "Y'know I really want this officer on my staff, I'll knock myself unconscious so that will convince them!"
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doryshan

The "each time" loots are a single item which is rolled on just like an item loot
  • Respec token for first time completion
  • Transwarp skill (5 uses) to Gamma Orionis Fleet each time (stackable)
  • Additional Ship token each time
  • Very Rare (Purple) Bridge Officer drop each time*

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

* I know about Terradome's Borg Officer but seriously....I knock myself out to get one? I don't recall the Captains ever saying in a show "Y'know I really want this officer on my staff, I'll knock myself unconscious so that will convince them!"
This wouldn't be that hard to implement. They already do it in City of Heroes (minus BOff's of course) and it's an excellent suggestion. Thanks again for your insight and more than adequate ability to communicate. It is appreciated.