Lt. Commander
# 1 sub VS F2P
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Ask yourself would sto do better with 1 million people, probably paying 5 dollars average a month on c store items?

or 50k people paying 15 dollars a month?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-19-2010, 08:14 PM
I am not a big fan of F2P, just my opinion. I would rather pay for sub, and get any items I prefer on the C-store.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-19-2010, 08:16 PM
If we ever get an economy implemented they could sell GTCs for in game money. Only the high rollers would typically be able to pay for them and the high rollers are usually end gamers anyways so its a nice reward to them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
If it ever goes Free to Play before my Lifetime sub pays for itself (that is before 20 months from launch is up), I would definitely want to be compensated for the extra that I paid over non life subs. Otherwise, I'd be fine with it (especially considering that it would get my friends to actually play the game).
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
if its free 2 play and gets more people playing, how doest that affect you? other than saving you money of course.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-19-2010, 08:47 PM
If this game goes F2P, it's back to WoW I go. I've never met a F2P game that was even worth looking at, much less playing. I'd be happy to never touch STO again if that happens.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Cryptic isn't considering a pure F2P model.

If they did consider any change, it looks like they'd look at DDO/LOTRO's hybrid model. This has both a free option and an "access to everything" subscription option.

For those who want a flat fee, they can choose - others could play freely but have to pay to access the content the subscribers get. F2P is slightly misleading.

However, dstahl said they'll be looking at LOTRO and DDO's performance closely. Right now, the team is doing fine with the standard subscription model and that's the course for near to mid future.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
if its free 2 play and gets more people playing, how doest that affect you? other than saving you money of course.
It effects the revenue stream which impacts the size of the Dev team which effects the amount of new content. It increases the number of people playing but lowers the general IQ of the player population. The inconsistancy of the revenue also has various side effects. All of which effect me as a player of this game

Not to mention the complete and utter bottoming out of cryptics reputation.

Going F2P also requires pandering to the lowest common denominator which would cause the quality of the new conetent to be lower.

In general this game would probably go from being complained about and ridiculed to pretty much forgotten.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
It effects the revenue stream which impacts the size of the Dev team which effects the amount of new content. It increases the number of people playing but lowers the general IQ of the player population. The inconsistancy of the revenue also has various side effects. All of which effect me as a player of this game

Going F2P also requires pandering to the lowest common denominator which would cause the quality of the new conetent to be lower.

In general this game would probably go from being complained about and ridiculed to pretty much forgotten.
Come on! I am clearly ready for a Free Realms version of this... I mean, aren't Klingons beta testing that now?
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post

Just like DDO and LOTRO?

I wish people would research what the market is actually like instead of making up stuff to conform to their beliefs.

As some who has played DDO (both before and after the F2P/P2P hybrid) and done some beta-testing with the Hybrid Model LOTRO, I can safely say cavilier really hasn't researched this thoroughly.

In DDO's case, the game has increased in user-base, revenue stream, content development, player retention, player resubscription, etc. You can look at the data: it just adds up for them. It's been a win all-around.

That's the model being considered (a hybrid of subscriptions and F2P-item mall). So far, that model seems to be doing the opposite to being forgotten.