Lt. Commander
# 111
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summers View Post
Its as canon as you want it to be given the events of this TNG episode.

The odds of it being THE timeline I'd have to say are slim to none. Its as canon as any of the other games.
I say toss canon, and make some new ships and crap. The arguement that canon blocks so much potential for content is just dumb at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 112
07-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Hi everyone!

We consider STO to be "Soft Canon". We do go through an approval process with CBS, however, the story we are choosing to tell does not necessarily have an affect on anything outside of this game.

We strive to provide you all with the best Trek Experience possible, and we feel that in order to do that, it makes the most sense to be soft canon. This allows us a greater degree of flexibility in our story telling, and allows you to experience things which could not be if we were to adhere strictly to canon.

This doesn't mean that we don't try our hardest to adhere to the canon provided by the films, television shows, and comics, which are considered canon. However, as the story unfolds in other mediums, the story we are telling may, or may not, have any sway over things to come.

Thanks,

Stormshade
That's all I needed to hear. Thanks for responding.
Lt. Commander
# 113
07-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Another thing that makes canon a little confusing. Gene R. himself had a habit of decanonizing things. He didn't like the way the animated series turned out, so he proclaimed that it was not canon. He also didn't like a lot of the movies. So he didn't much consider them canon either. And okay, I'm really going to scare you with this one after he got TNG going, he... well... he sort of decided that some of The Original Series wasn't canon either. I had a discussion with him once, where I cited a couple things that were very clearly canon in The Original Series, and he told me he didn't think that way anymore, and that he now thought of TNG as canon wherever there was conflict between the two. He admitted it was revisionist thinking, but so be it. Paula Block, VCP Senior Director of Licensed Publishing, December 2005

*Underline is mine