Lt. Commander
# 21
07-19-2010, 08:05 PM
According to Gene only the 1st and 2nd season of ToS, the 1st movie, and the 1st season of TNG are canon. The ST universe we know today is very unlike Gene's. He was a utopian, and from what I gathered tried to use TV as a medium to extend his ideological and philisophical views. What made him different from many Sci-Fi writers at the time (and even now) is that we as a race don't degrade to become animals and gangsters, but uniter's and moral crusaders.

Gene's ideas are nice and fluffy, but as has been said before on these forums, the greatest parts of trek for the fans, are not gene's. Remember, he's the guy that wanted men running around in skirts on TNG.

Pretty much, Star Trek is what the fan's make it to be, unlike Star Wars, which is whatever George Lucas wants it to be.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-19-2010, 08:06 PM
From what I gather Gene Roddenberry was like that. This is taken from the same interview with Richard Arnold - "It has been noted that Gene Roddenberry was something of a revisionist when it came to canon. People who worked with Roddenberry remember that he used to handle canon not on a series-by-series basis nor an episode-by-episode basis, but point by point. If he changed his mind on something, or if a fact in one episode contradicted what he considered to be a more important fact in another episode, he had no problem declaring that specific point non-canon."
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Every single thing that happens when I'm in-game playing my characters IS CANON ... to me.

And that's all I need. My imagination does the rest.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterArmaEnimSilentLeges View Post
Also found this quote from Richard Arnold:

And as long as Gene Roddenberry is involved in it, he is the final word on what is Star Trek. So, for us here Ron Moore, Jeri Taylor, everybody who works on the show Gene is the authority. And when he says that the books, and the games, and the comics and everything else, are not gospel, but are only additional Star Trek based on his Star Trek but not part of the actual Star Trek universe that he created... they're just, you know, kinda fun to keep you occupied between episodes and between movies, whatever... but he does not want that to be considered to be sources of information for writers, working on this show, he doesn't want it to be considered part of the canon by anybody working on any other projects.

This is from an interview in 1991. Even though Gene has passed away I think this still rings true today as it did back then.
Unless Gene Roddenberry rises from the grave, what he says or wants is irrelevant. Whoever holds the rights gets the final say in whats canon and I presume CBS are holding the rights if Cryptic is paying them.

Although even if CBS say STO was canon right now... wouldnt make a damn bit of difference.
Until a movie or series starts linking to STO then any canon ties could be brushed off easily unless its an alternate reality.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gym_Quirk
Right. The Destiny Trilogy eliminated the Borg in 2381.

STO still has them.

Which is more canon?
To answer that question. we are, we take in account star trek 11, and last time I check those books did not. ( I could be wrong, and if I am please correct me. )
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I feel it necessary to point out that only in Star Trek can a canon inconsistency be justified with "it's just an alternate reality"... lol.

I'd say STO is canon. I consider it to be unless someone more important in the franchise than myself or any of us says otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
To answer that question. we are, we take in account star trek 11, and last time I check those books did not. ( I could be wrong, and if I am please correct me. )
THE NEEDS OF THE MANY heavily implies that Destiny and STO are two forks of the Prime timeline.

Both agree on the return of Data plus or minus a few details (in the STO-verse, he was brought back to fight the Undine in the late 2380s whereas I think his return was less urgent in the core novels) and both COULD allow for ST11 (although STO builds on it) but the two timelines start diverging after Nemesis due to Iconian and Undine tampering and its impossible to say which timeline is proper. (TNoTM does seem to imply that a book or two which contradict the bulk of the books on, I think, the gender of Ogawa's child are STO timeline instead of the novelverse.)
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Alright, final answer. Its soft canon.

(and i like to put a pint of sugar in my water.. it makes it taste funny)
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adohi
DO a search and you should find an answer there was a thread a few weeks were the Devs said that all things added and done have to be aproved by the rights holders so this in and of its self makes it cannon in that reguard.

You should actually do the research you claim others should as you would find out that Star Trek cannon is very strictly controlled. Virtually none of the material outside of movies and TV shows is considered cannon. I think one or two Voyager books are counted, but nothing else. This game most certainly is NOT cannon.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Whether it be a final unity, bridge commander, legacy, or any other ST game...despite who supports them, CBS or paramount, I never consider any of them canon. Never will.

Certainly not STO by any stretch. But whether its canon or not doesn't bother me. It's a game.