Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashter
So to sum this up. . .A PvE'r rolled a PvP toon, knowing it was a PvP toon. . .discovered that said PvP toon was meant for PvP instead of PvE and is now complaining because they want the PvP toon transformed into a PvE toon. . .is that about right?

~D
I have no problem being able to play a Klingon as a PvE character. Frankly I would prefer it because PvP players, in general, have no patience for people who don't regularly PvP and can be rather...vulgar about it.
As I recall the Klingons became primarily PvP when production schedules became such that it was completely impossible to have a fully functioning setup in place for the Race at launch. This is a flaw I seriously hope is rectified before we see the launch of another faction in the game. Barring that perhaps Klingons will always remain that way and the next faction will be more PvE and thats how it will be.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
[quote=Nishastra]Tricorders point to scannable things. Klingon missions never involve scanning anything. It's annoying, but it's not some arbitrary injustice.


"Just so you know, the layout of ground exploration missions is very predictable, and you can generally easily see where everything is by looking at the map. The objects are always in clearings and there's always a path between every clearing."

This is not true for "all" of the planet maps.



The fact that there are anomalies at all is actually a bug, I think. Only one kind of mission that was obviously copied directly from Federation side has them. Personally, I don't care about this. Memory Alpha is almost entirely useless. Hopefully whenever they make it worth using, they'll give Klingons a way to get the same kind of items.

As limited as Memory-Alpha is, I use it to enhance weapons at low-levels, even my Klingon's.


You say that as if the Federation has tons of different kinds of exploration missions. Klingons lose ones that involve scanning but gain ones that involve blowing things up. Other than that they're more or less the same...

There are way more Federation Exploration missions than Klingon, and it's the only PvE content the Klings have.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
07-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMan2k View Post
There are way more Federation Exploration missions than Klingon, and it's the only PvE content the Klings have.
Do tell.

Federation have, to the best of my memory: Space Confrontation, Space Defend Base, Space Kill Enemies, Space Scan Ships, Space Scan Anomalies, Ground Planet Scan Stuff, Ground Planet Kill Stuff, Ground Base Scan Stuff, Ground Base Kill Stuff.

Klingons have: Space Confrontation (copied straight from Fed version, these have anomalies), Space Defend Base, Space Kill Enemies, Space Blow Up Ships, Space Blow Up Bases, Ground Planet Blow Up Stuff, Ground Planet Kill Stuff, Ground Base Blow Up Stuff, Ground Base Kill Stuff.


There's a few minor variations here, like the scan/blow up ships might have enemies or the ground kill stuff might have things to scan/blow up, but I think that's all the actual types of missions.

I have played a KDF character all the way to BG5 doing nothing but exploration missions, when 1/2 to 2/3rds of them didn't even give skill points on completion in the later ranks because you never actually got the mission on entering the system/base. I don't know if that's fixed or not yet. I'm not saying Klingons have it good, but I'm not going to agree with things that aren't true and only go, "Ha ha! C-Store!"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Yes they are in because people clamored for them before launch.
Evidence for this assertion, please.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
07-21-2010, 09:26 AM
This is silly. You guys need to take a closer look at the C-Store.

There are no KDF playable races available other than Joined Trill.

There are no extra ships available.

There are no ship skins available.

There are no new uniforms available.

The Klingons can buy a targ, a borg, and some bridge packs.

The C-Store is dominated by federation merch.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
God grief, are the beta forums still lurking out there somewhere?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
07-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
God grief, are the beta forums still lurking out there somewhere?
Sure: http://forums.startrekonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

I do remember people asking for Klingons, but as I recall it was because closed beta was short and Cryptic didn't launch Klingons until very late. So it was in the context of, "If Cryptic's gonna launch with Klingons, shouldn't we be testing them by now?"

I don't recall seeing an announcement that Cryptic was planning to launch without Klingons, nor do I recall any indication that Cryptic included Klingons just to placate the fans. I'm open to evidence to the contrary, however...

Trivial point, I know, but there seems to be some historical interpretations lately that don't jive with my memories at all, and it's a little disconcerting...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
07-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Well so far my trawlling has been fruitless, but I did find this dated from Oct 9 2009:
Quote:
Eurogamer: I see! And forgive my ignorance, but can I be a Klingon?

Craig Zinkievich: Yes! We plan on shipping with the ability to play as Federation and play on the Klingon side. The Klingon gameplay is going to be drastically different to the Federation gameplay. It's going to be a lot more focused on PvP; their advancement is a little bit different - it is not a full-on story-driven game like the Federation.
So I can at least point out that this was a known point many moons ago, still going to dig when I can for an announcement,
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post
I agree with this. then Klingons presented in a later expansion. Would have gone a lot smoother.

but then again Cryptic has always made people go "Whaat ??" with their decisions and timing.
people pushed for klinks to be added to the game at launch. there was a dev interview (several) that expressed cryptics desire to NOT include the klinks at launch cause they were not complete and offered very little but the possibility of pvp only. people still cried anyway. cryptic put them in...and now look. cryptic listened to the community, put them in, even with a disclaimer, and you still get nothing but whines and cries of injustice about the faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRaktajino
Because they bend over for all the whiners far too often.
you call it bend over, i call it a business move and listening to the player base.
there is no way, unfortunaate as it is, that cryptic can win on this front anymore. they explained many times about the faction being pvp centric and limited in other activities as compared to the federation side. they are adding content since the player base cried and whined about it, but i would venture the vast majority of the sunscribers are federation players only as it is.

besides, Star Trek was focused around the Federation and not the KDF or other Factions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
07-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
people pushed for klinks to be added to the game at launch. there was a dev interview (several) that expressed cryptics desire to NOT include the klinks at launch cause they were not complete and offered very little but the possibility of pvp only. people still cried anyway. cryptic put them in...and now look. cryptic listened to the community, put them in, even with a disclaimer, and you still get nothing but whines and cries of injustice about the faction.
See this is what I remember but I will be darned if I have had luck finding a shred of this on the nets right now....its a conspiracy a Klingon conspiracy!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 AM.