Lt. Commander
# 1 Game failing to start
07-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Hello, Ive recently upgraded my PC and I cannot get the game to start properly.

This is the break down of what happens.
-Click on game client
-Client opens up with hollodeck/tribble patcher working fine
-Click "Engage" on the hollodeck server
-Screen blacks out
- In 3 seconds game screen minimizes into window onto Windows desktop (game screen is blank)
- Nothing loads or initializes

-Trying to close the game window by clicking X (close button) does nothing
-In task manager client is listed as a non responsive program
-Closing in task manager causes a command prompt window to pop up and a warring window over the game
- In the command prompt window it says:
Quote:
-Preloading DLLS...done. (0.01)
File System startup...GameDataDirs:
X.
-Warring popup box says:
Quote:
-Unable to find required game data files. If this problem persists reinstalling the application may fix the situation.
What ive done to try to fix it:
-Reinstalled program
-Reinstalled in Program Files directory (default directory is C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\)

Im still trying other things but im at a loss. Ive never had a program tell me that its missing data files from a fresh install.

Im installing with the Collectors Edition CD and am running Windows 7 64-bit.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-22-2010, 05:18 AM
first under win 7 or vista you should install the game in the default or any directory than the program files directory.

Quote:
Quote from coderanger....

Fun fact, the game will break pretty frequently if you install to Program Files under Vista or Win7 because of a new security feature called Virtual Store (short version: it intercepts and rewrites file writes inside prog files to go somewhere else). That is why it is no longer the default install location on those platforms. There is no permanent way to disable this feature of Windows, so installing outside of Program Files is the best option. The "correct" place according to MS for this would be C:\ProgramData, but more games use Users\Public\Games that we wanted to go with the clearer one. The More You Know.
also under win 7 and vista besure both the startrekonline.exe (the launcher ) and the gameclient.exe are set to run as admin.

also post your dxdaig (assuming you upgraded to win 7) need to be sure all your drivers are updated.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
first under win 7 or vista you should install the game in the default or any directory than the program files directory.

also under win 7 and vista besure both the startrekonline.exe (the launcher ) and the gameclient.exe are set to run as admin.

also post your dxdaig (assuming you upgraded to win 7) need to be sure all your drivers are updated.
Thanks for the fast reply.

ll try admin mode and reinstall the game again.

Ill check my drivers as well, by upgrade i mean a complete system rebuild so its a completely uncluttered OS.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-22-2010, 06:47 PM
So ive made no real progress, although i did learn some things.

I know that my graphics drivers are up to date and ive setup the game and launcher.exe to admin mode with no sucess.

I ran a force verify on the launcher itself and this is what I found.

Quote:
100723 00:29:16 26 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXLoader.dll!
100723 00:29:18 27 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput9_1_0.dll!
100723 00:29:19 28 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/xinput1_3.dll!
100723 00:29:19 29 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmod_event_net.dll!
100723 00:29:20 30 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmod_event_netL.dll!
100723 00:29:21 31 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/nvtt.dll!
100723 00:29:22 32 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/NxCooking.dll!
100723 00:29:28 33 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmodex.dll!
100723 00:29:34 34 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/fmodexL.dll!
100723 00:29:35 35 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/msidcrl40.dll!
100723 00:29:36 36 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/d3dx9_33.dll!
100723 00:29:37 37 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/PhysXCore.dll!
100723 00:29:38 38 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/d3dx9_36.dll!
100723 00:29:39 39 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/D3DX9_37.dll!
100723 00:29:59 40 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/GameClient.exe!
100723 00:29:59 41 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest!
100723 00:30:00 42 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/steam_api.dll!
100723 00:30:01 43 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/physxcudart_20.dll!
100723 00:30:02 44 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcm80.dll!
100723 00:30:03 45 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcp80.dll!
100723 00:30:03 46 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/Microsoft.VC80.CRT/msvcr80.dll!
100723 00:30:04 47 [1] ESC : The patchclientlib is internally recording error code : 36\nA file was locked that could not be open for writing. - Unable to read back file C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live/crypticError.exe!
Im at a loss, i dont know why these errors are here or how to correct them, Any ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey sorry for the triple post but i have my dxdaig, it seems like their are no problems to my eyes but take a look yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-23-2010, 04:32 PM
After playing with various settings i have now gotten the game to start in safe mode.

The problem is that in game i cannot change resolution now.

The game starts from the launcher into windowed mode.
Once i have gone into the game I can change the resolution buy maximizing windowed mode but not actually setting up full screen.

If i try to start the game from the launcher in full window mode i get a black screen with the mouse icon showing loading. The game never starts from this point and i get a non responsive program status in Task manager.

Help?
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-23-2010, 10:42 PM
the dxdaig is showng you are displaying in a higher resolutuon than the native mode of your monitor. with that set up it is posible the game can not handle the requested resolution.
but the file errors usualy indicate something is not relasing the files to the game for it uses.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Ok now i see, im not really sure why but by manually adjusting the screen resolution in Catalyst instead of my desktop I had gotten my system and the game to display properly.

Im still not sure what the game was doing before with the missing/corrupted data files but my Live and Cryptic Folders were bloated with an extra 5 gigs of data. While poking around them i found several files marked as DELETEME as the file type. They were mostly DLL copies in the same folder. I ran the patcher through a proxy server and that seemed to solve that problem.

Hopefully this helps out anyone else with this issue, and thanks PegasusMD for replying and helping me brainstorm.
Ensign
# 9
01-05-2013, 07:51 PM
I have been a long time subscriber on a paid account. Today I continually recieve this msg and it will fail to load and patch. Here's the one it sais: "Unable to establish connection to Patch Server, Please check your internet connection. If problems persist, please contact Technical support" .....I've tried over and over to restart, etc, all the normal things, yet still the same. I've never had trouble before, and the internet service for everything else is fine. Cant get through to tech support either to even ask anybody or submit a ticket. I pay every month for this game client, and I really think I should expect some help to get me back on. Any tech person please email me at joloseb@zoho.com. I'd much appreciate the help! Thanks. Acct: quest4eden ... logged in as edenquest
Ensign
Not sure why the post below sais that I am subscribed only in Jan 2013, I have been a paying subscriber for probably 2 years. Please help. Will not even load launcher. Has been fine before today 1/05/2013.