Lt. Commander
# 101
03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Let me put it this way. Had my entry won, then I would have been surprised if they had not tried to strech it in order to make it more understandable and useful.
But people, let's just be fair, if you take a look on twitter you will notice that Alivet was litteraly begging for approval on this, so i personaly have zero doubt that they did in fact strech it.

Ask yourself if your entry would have made it in it's original form (because you hada to cut yours and all)

Maybe I take it all too easiely because i to me this would only be about prestige which i don't care about, but i can understand the people who feel betrayed. However I see no chance that this was the original entry and therefore i have no doubt that it was changed.
So long...
Lt. Commander
# 102
03-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Man I hate this and I hate being negative, but this situation irks me greatly.

If you read the clearly define rules on the actual contest page http://startrekonline.com/contest/alien you will note the following.

5. Entries shall be no longer than three hundred (300) words in length.

Not an issue of misinterpretation, it CLEARLY states, entries shall be NO LONGER than 300 words in length.

Lots of us cut our entries down considerably to meet that requirement, and the prize being rewarded to an entry that break that rule with a word count of over twice that amount, however good it may have been is CLEARLY in breach of the contest rules.

Cryptic have inadvertantly put TheHybrid in an awful and uncomfortable position here by dropping the ball in this way.

The competition was clearly not judged with much fairness or attention to detail regarding their own rules because someone has BLATANTLY dropped the ball by not paying attention, mistake undoubtedly but nevertheless its a bad one.
Lt. Commander
# 103
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreffnonX View Post
Let me put it this way. Had my entry won, then I would have been surprised if they had not tried to strech it in order to make it more understandable and useful.
But people, let's just be fair, if you take a look on twitter you will notice that Alivet was litteraly begging for approval on this, so i personaly have zero doubt that they did in fact strech it.

Ask yourself if your entry would have made it in it's original form (because you hada to cut yours and all)

Maybe I take it all too easiely because i to me this would only be about prestige which i don't care about, but i can understand the people who feel betrayed. However I see no chance that this was the original entry and therefore i have no doubt that it was changed.
So long...
I do not think they would have it would be hard for them to add on to some other persons idea with out knowing what they was thinking.
Lt. Commander
# 104
03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWolf View Post
Man I hate this and I hate being negative, but this situation irks me greatly.

If you read the clearly define rules on the actual contest page http://startrekonline.com/contest/alien you will note the following.

5. Entries shall be no longer than three hundred (300) words in length.

Not an issue of misinterpretation, it CLEARLY states, entries shall be NO LONGER than 300 words in length.

Lots of us cut our entries down considerably to meet that requirement, and the prize being rewarded to an entry that break that rule with a word count of over twice that amount, however good it may have been is CLEARLY in breach of the contest rules.

Cryptic have inadvertantly put TheHybrid in an awful and uncomfortable position here by dropping the ball in this way.

The competition was clearly not judged with much fairness or attention to detail regarding their own rules because someone has BLATANTLY dropped the ball by not paying attention, mistake undoubtedly but nevertheless its a bad one.
-Read the M***** f****** Thread before you M***** f****** post!!!!!!!-

It is highly likely that the original entry was within the 300 word limit and has been streched in order to make a better text to read.
Lt. Commander
# 105
03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
I won't complain about the length or grammer. I like the story and I have to admit that I'm extremely jealous of the closed beta spot.
Lt. Commander
# 106
03-25-2009, 10:04 AM
I got this in a PM with Awen:
Quote:
The reason this person was chosen as the winner is because it went above and beyond in originality and quality. The entire team liked it. In our rules, it states that we reserve the right to change any rule as we choose when we want. I would hope that you would show better sportsmanship in the future.
It would be one thing if they told us that they did this so we could do another one but no so I do not see how I can pay for something that Cryptic is making if there going to change an add thing as they wish with out the community.

I can see them doing thing like SOE did with Star wars galaxies changing the game in a big way an not leting us have a say in it. An I am talking about the CU an the NGE.
Lt. Commander
# 107
03-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Quote:

It is highly likely that the original entry was within the 300 word limit and has been streched in order to make a better text to read.
How do you know that? Sheer speculation on your part...
Lt. Commander
# 108
03-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dext View Post
I do not think they would have it would be hard for them to add on to some other persons idea with out knowing what they was thinking.
Yes it is possible to strech a text without further knowledge. Also they have seeked the writers approval as anybody TRULY interested could easiely check on twitter!!!!!!

go to twitter, check on CrypticAlivet 's latest entries and you will find that she was about to go mad on not getting approval for the changes she made...
Now stop this and give them a chance to put things straigt. In a few hours Awen will find this bunch of comments and set it straight. Until then give them the benefit of the doubt...

gash, the nest person blaming the orgas will make me seriously angry
Lt. Commander
# 109
03-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Quote:

TreffnonX, you maybe trying to make sense of this in a logical method, but there is no logical answer here to why this has happened. An explanation is needed, and you aren't going to make people happy with your statements of "as an editor" because the rules are stated straight up, and right now, everyone is seeing a violation of said rules.
Lt. Commander
# 110
03-25-2009, 10:08 AM
The response Dext got from Awen implies that nothing was changed, but that Cryptic bent the rules for TheHybrid because they liked his entry.

That still seems a bit "unfair" and encourages people to break all the rules in the future in the hopes that theirs will be so good that they'll have the rules bent for them and win anyway. The same problem still persists. A lot had to be cut out to fit it into 300 words. Compliance with the rules and "going above and beyond" seem mutually exclusive. For most, getting the story they created across means breaking the 300 word limit.
Closed Thread