Lt. Commander
# 11
03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I admit, it was really good, minus the poor grammar. :p

However, like others pointed out, the contest rules said 300 words. While the winner's is 609.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Congrats for winning!

...but yes I thought 300 words was the maximum....I cut mine down by half to fit what was needed in there Thats quite a bit more...
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Congratulations!!
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Congratulations nice read
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Yea, the word count has been puzzling me to, since I know mine I had to signficantly cut down and that clocked in at 300 words exactly, and I lost a lot of stuff I wnated to put in there to :-/

Oh well, grats to the winner.

Edit: Yep double checked the archive since I copy and paste these things exactly from the website, says 300 words or less
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Interesting tale -- you got more out of that screenshot than I did! Congrats, hybrid!

KOS
Lt. Commander
Not to be a complainer and I am happy for the winner but...

It was really tough for me to fit my story in 300 words and it took me longer to cut and rewrite it to get it under that amount.

If I would have known I could have made it any length I wanted it would have been so much easier and maybe better. I did think I got in a good story under 300 words...I think it was 298 LOL...but it just upsets me a little that the one that did win was over 600 (609 to be exact).

If I am reading rule number 5 incorrectly then I goofed...but I would really like to know what the rules are so I kill myself in cramming info in when I don't have to...

From the contest rules:
5. Entries shall be no longer than three hundred (300) words in length.

Anyone else read it like I did?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
I would like to congratulate the winner since I believe that's the right thing to do and I love to give praise where it's due. What I'm about to say is not sour grapes because I didn't win. I'm above that sort of foolishness. However, the contest clearly stated that 300 words was the maximum, and that grammar was to be one of the decision criteria. Both these conditions were violated here.
I'm not suggesting that the story wasn't good, for it was. However, many of us who held to the contest criteria could have written more involved scenarios had we broken the 300 word rule as the winner did. Be clear here that I'm not striking out at the winner at all. My focus is directed at the contest management. It is not only inept to lie about the rules, but is a clear signal to that huge pool of creative writers who love Star Trek, to ignore all future Star Trek Online contests, and to connect with others in a viral way to not waste their time with them either. I for one have zero tolerance for poor management, and I sense that the current game development may be run by such inept management.
The previous contest exemplified the same thinking, where we were told that the runners-up would be presented online. However, they never were. A lie. See my point? Personally, I won't be wasting my time with these contests. Instead, I'll invest my time in contests that are run by honest management where they respect a level playing field. I don't expect management to respond to this, since they are probably going to hide behind the anonymity that goes along with their post, a reaction that Picard would not tolerate. Of that I'm sure. If you think that this response is powered by sour grapes, then you've totally missed the point.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok so I didn't enter this contest, and I did enjoy the winning entry. But I am hoping for an officlal reply on the max 300 word rule.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-24-2009, 06:44 PM
congrats good job it was an interesting story........ congrats
Closed Thread