Lt. Commander
# 61
03-25-2009, 05:33 AM
didnt bother reading it all.more than 300 words broke the rules bit unfair on on the otheres who only wrote 300
Lt. Commander
# 62 We deserve an explanation.
03-25-2009, 05:39 AM
It's not as if I really expected to win, but I am seriously unhappy about this. The rules were clearly stated, and the winning entry was over twice the limit set by those rules. It was damn fine writing; don't get me wrong, and I congratulate the winner based on his talent, but many of us had to butcher what could've been something as captivating a read as the winner's entry because we were given a limit.

I'm not going to pretend here. I want a beta position. I crave it, I COVET it. If I don't get one, so be it; I won't cry a river over it. But to lose my chance because Cryptic decided to break its own rules...well, I can't help but feel cheated.

Call those of us remarking about this sore losers if you wish; I don't much care. At least we care enough about the situation to say something. I think it's Cryptic's turn to step up to the plate and explain themselves, and seriously consider retooling their rules for the next "contest".
Lt. Commander
# 63
03-25-2009, 05:41 AM
I wasnt going to reply in here considering how very upset I am regarding that the winning entery breached the 300 word limmit, My story was massivly trimmed to fit the 300 word limmit, although I have no illusions that it probably wasnt good enough to win I do however feel somewat betrayed seeing as the rules were simply ignored in choosing a winner....

I'm not being bitter and congratz to the winner, but I would like to hear some form of response to the crys of others that are understandably unhappy with the breach of rules like myself...

Now i'm going to stop here no dought i've vented too mutch and I dislike upsetting anyone...
Lt. Commander
# 64
03-25-2009, 06:02 AM
Ditto. Everything that I was going to say has already been said. I consider myself a writer but I was forced to make tough decisions when cutting down my entry. Sigh
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-25-2009, 06:20 AM
I figure - though I'm just guessing - that it was an unintentional mistake on Cryptic's part. What's done is done. I had mentioned that my story didn't adhere to the bar setting. If I had won, then I'd imagine there would be similar complaints about my failure to follow the rules, but even though I violated the rules and still won (in that hypothetical situation), I'd hate to have my reward stripped from me.

I figure TheHybrid won, not to any fault of his own, but because of a mistake made by Cryptic. I imagine they're aware of the concerns brought forth in this thread, but can't imagine they'll respond to the issue because it may then lend justification to the demand that The Hybrid be stripped of his beta slot, which I just don't see happening. All that can really be hoped for is that the mistake - if there was one - be realized and that contest rules be looked at more strictly when determining a winner for future contests.
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-25-2009, 06:24 AM
True, I'm not being a sore loser or anything. I congratulate the winner, and I don't think he should have his/her prize taken away. My only issue is...well the word limit. If 300 words was a suggestion then that would change everything. I had PLENTY of stuff I wanted to write but left it out because I didn't want to break 300 words and be disqualified. Thus my entry didn't have all that I wanted it too.

I think most folks here are not crying about not winning, they all (myself included) feel a little cheated since their creative writing was slashed down when it apparently didn't have to be. I don't really care too much about the grammar either since...well not everyone has English as a first language, so it wouldn't be overly fair to exclude them because of that. But if a rule isn't concrete then it should be stated as such.
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Well, I heavily implied that Cryptic was at fault in my last post, but that too is just a guess. For all I know, TheHybrid won legitimately. In a school setting for instance, there are times when you might be forced to take an exam where you are given 5 questions but only need to write responses to 2 of them, anything beyond that is ungraded and only the first two are actually considered. Perhaps the first 300 words were captivating enough alone that TheHybrid won and the latter 309 were not considered. I find that hard to believe, but it's possible.

EDIT: I find it hard to believe since the first 300 words only go up through the part "Now I remember their species, the Vanterians. " (that's the last complete sentence)

Given that the bulk of the interesting and creative points in the story come after this point, I figure Cryptic read the whole thing and judged it as an entirety.
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-25-2009, 06:41 AM
300 words was very limiting, I feel a bit annoyed at having followed the rules now

bah
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-25-2009, 07:02 AM
Congratz to the winner.

It looks to me like the Judges assigned points to each comtest entry. Thehydrids story was good enough to win even with the penalties added to his over all score.

I wish I had known this earlier. My first draft was 1025 words but after a few days of editing I condensed it to 299 words.
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch_Lion View Post
Just a quick question - I was under the impression that contest entries were to be limited to 300 words maximum? The winning entry clocks in at over twice that. Just wondering why the limit was listed on the contest rules if that was not going to be part of the judging process? I have to say I'm a little disappointed, as I found myself struggling to submit an entry that I was happy with given the very limited size that was mandated... Only to find out that apparently I needn't have cut so much out of my submission.

If you're going to have rules for contest submissions, you should adhere to them. I have to say this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about these contests and the validity of the judging process.
I'm with you. I kept mine under 300 words. You can tell a much better story with double that.

Grats to the winner anyways it was a good story, but if it really doesn't matter how many words, then say it. I worked for hours to get my story down to the 300 word limit and thought I had a real shot for a change.
Closed Thread