Lt. Commander
# 71
03-25-2009, 06:18 AM
in addition to the whole 300 word thing, I was under the impression that Romulan Ale was illegal. I am very disappointed in Cryptic for letting something so basic, and so known, slip by. That's Trek 101, imo.

To quote Worf:

"Romulan Ale should be illegal..."

"It is."
Lt. Commander
# 72
03-25-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm not asking Cryptic to strip TheHybrid of his award. His writing was excellent, and that's what this contest was about. But if Cryptic had followed their own conditions, he wouldn't have won. It's as simple as that. As good as his writing was, it was over the limit, and that alone would have disqualified him, per the rules they set forth for this contest.

All I want is this: for the next contest, set a higher limit. Maybe not 600 or 700, but at least 500. Give us a little room to breathe and to prove our skills.
Lt. Commander
# 73
03-25-2009, 06:32 AM
what they should do is for all the people that was 300 or under but us in a drawing for a beta key so it is fair. they can let him keep his but give the people that did go by the rule a shout.
Lt. Commander
# 74
03-25-2009, 06:32 AM
to me, it looks very much like more was added to the story, after it was chosen to win, as i stated earlier.

Now I remember their species, the Vanterians.

at this point in the story, the word count is 283 and very much seems like an ideal place to end if you are sticking to a 300 word count limit.
It's only a thought, but i'm still sticking to my assumption that the writer was asked to add more after it was chosen.
Lt. Commander
# 75
03-25-2009, 06:38 AM
IF they did add on to it they should have side something but no. An even if they did they should not have.
Lt. Commander
# 76
03-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofhyrule730 View Post
in addition to the whole 300 word thing, I was under the impression that Romulan Ale was illegal. I am very disappointed in Cryptic for letting something so basic, and so known, slip by. That's Trek 101, imo.

To quote Worf:

"It is."
Romulan ale was made legal during the Dominion War, the statement from Geordi was yet another Trek blunder.

But anyways, I don't feel the winner should lose their spot, but I do believe their is some clarification in order. The person trying to say they are an editor, is fine, but let's be realistic here, there has been no definition and they didn't say anything about having it lengthened. I doubt I would of won, but it is a slap in the face to everyone who stayed within the rules to edit down their entries.
Lt. Commander
# 77
03-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Let's just go ahead and end the discussion with: Congratulate, you broke the rules and still won. Give thehybrid our James T. Kirk Kobayashi Maru Award and move on

Unfortunately since it's their contest they can break their own judging rules at any time...maybe if we were nicer posters we'd get the same leniency. Or maybe the judges are members of Shadow Fleet

I know, lets just give everyone that entered a beta slot! That'll clear everything up...
Lt. Commander
# 78
03-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Very dissapointing...

The way I see it, the winning entry was on steroids. It broke the rules and bulked up from 300 to 609 words...

It should receive an asterisk and forever be kept out of the hall of fame.

And if it is the case of "they went back and asked him to flesh it out" then it wasn't good enough on its own and it should not have won.
Lt. Commander
# 79
03-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofhyrule730 View Post

To quote Worf:

"It is."
Respectfully, perhaps not in 2409.

In the Star Trek Countdown comic book series, produced as an "official prequel" (so it says on the cover) to the upcoming JJ Abrams Trek film -- wherein all the older, modern Federation characters conspicuously wear Star Trek Online -style uniforms -- there's a line in the second issue about furnishing Romulan Ale for a party aboard Captain Data's USS Enterprise.

I'm not trying to be contrary here, merely pointing out that since the series was and is sanctioned by Paramount as an "official prequel" to the movie, it does raise the question why would a Federation vessel sanction an illegal beverage?

Parts of the" Path To ..." stuff we've already seen suggest or mirror elements in the comic series (Worf as a Klingon repatriate; Picard as an Ambassador; LaForge as a starship designer; Data's "resurrected consciousness" inside the B-4 body -- not to mention the pointed use of STO -style Starfleet uniforms), and it all suggests that Paramount, Cryptic, and the folks who sanctioned the prequel comic have all been sharing notes in some way.

Only trying to shed some light. Times change, and maybe the prohibition (pun intended) on Romulan Ale has been lifted by 2409, and hence, Thehybrid's story could not be officially faulted.

Cheers,

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 80
03-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Not best pleased to be honest.

Why put a word count limit on it if you are blatantly going to ignore it?

We all missed heaps of content out because of sticking to the word count and here you are giving the contest to an entry that is over twice the set limit..

The entry wasn't bad but it was in breach of your own contest rules which makes the situation unfair on the rest of us.

You have to realise if you put guidelines down most people are going to follow them because those are the rules as you state them. then turning around and rewarding entries that do not abide by those rules, is as I said unfair and fairly disrespectful to the rest of us, however good the entry may have been.
Closed Thread