Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 81
03-25-2009, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirksOtherSon View Post
Thehybrid pulled a `Kobayashi Maru' and won by changing the scenario ... and good on him or her for taking a risk of disqualification in order to fully tell his or her tale!

As someone with editorial experience, I'm guessing that Thehybrid won because his/her first three hundred words, as written, had already sold the reviewers on the entry.

It's also worth noting that in the publishing world, a "word count" will often skip over any word of less than three characters. It depends on the editorial policy in place at the publishing house.

Yes, the contest rules needed to be more clear, as to what flexibility might be afforded entrants -- but Awen has been ill of late, so it can't hurt to let her get well before demanding explanations written in blood. This will all be sorted before the next contest, without a doubt.

Lastly, I'm embarrassed by those of you who are calling for the revocation of Thehybrid's prize. Taking away Thehybrid's award will not automatically make your story any better, nor diminish what was so obviously good about his/hers.

What's done is done, as the saying goes. There will be more contests, and more beta slot prizes. Move forward, and show a little of the human grace your capable of, friends, please.

Spitefulness does no one any good, and only makes the spiteful look petty.

My opinions anyway, and I doubt they will be well-received, but I stand by them,

And again -- congrats to the winner!

KOS
It's people like you who maintain the status quo and inhibit change, giving the rule-ignorers (both corporate and contestants) the perfect rationale to continue as before, preventing any constructive progress or improvement. You try to sound mature and above the criticism, even to be a peacemaker. It's all very well to try to be a peacemaker, however, there comes a time when issues need resolved, head on. This is such a time as the plethora of posts prove. Will management respond, or hide in the corner pretending it isn't happening? More likely, they'll retort that we're all just sour for not winning. That is clearly not true and would indicate very poor judgement. Come to think of it, you sound like a manager ..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 82
03-25-2009, 07:37 AM
All of a sudden,I'm glad I didn't enter the contest.
Because if I had,I'd probably be upset right now over the misunderstanding with the rules.

But the way I see it,the winning entry was good.
Far different than what I was expecting.
and far better.
The quality of the story doesn't give it the right be above the rules,but it was a descent read.

(The only problem I had with it was that bit about the Borg.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 83
03-25-2009, 07:42 AM
If I would have lost to a person that did do the 300 words I would be cool with that but I lost to someone that did not go by the rules set so that is why I am Peed off a bout it. An a lot of other people.

An if they can run a contest this bad what are they doing with the game.

It is True that the Dev's on the game have nothing to do with this but if someone on the team looks bad then the team it self looks bad.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 84
03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Wasps View Post
All of a sudden,I'm glad I didn't enter the contest.
Because if I had,I'd probably be upset right now over the misunderstanding with the rules.

But the way I see it,the winning entry was good.
Far different than what I was expecting.
and far better.
The quality of the story doesn't give it the right be above the rules,but it was a descent read.

(The only problem I had with it was that bit about the Borg.)
There would have been better story if we did not follow the 300 word max. it may not have been my story but someone would have had one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 85 Congrats to winners
03-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Although I share everybody's concern about the flagrant flaunting of the word limiit rules. A couple of words here or there and nobody would've said anything.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 86
03-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkord_Fenton_Mudd
Although I share everybody's concern about the flagrant flaunting of the word limiit rules. A couple of words here or there and nobody would've said anything.
I wouldn't of been really that bothered if it was 305 or even 320, as I know telling a decent story in 300 words is very difficult to do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 87
03-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Congratulations...

But the winning story is six hundred and nine words? Over double the limit we were given?

This is highly frustrating. Especially when so many of us worked very hard to conform to the established rules of the contest to create an entertaining read.

AND let me stress - 300 words is PLENTY of space to tap out a great story. Especially when you regard it as a challenge, not a limitation my fellow writers.

In these forums, I've defended the apparent "growing pains" of the first contest. And even again as this contest's deadline trickled by, I gave the process the benefit of the doubt. But this is super weird and very, very discouraging.

It's a good read but the story's winning status is greatly upstaged by it's outrageous length. What a shame - two contests in a row with bizarre results... I hope the devs will give these contests a more thorough looking at going forward.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 88
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlician View Post
to me, it looks very much like more was added to the story, after it was chosen to win, as i stated earlier.

Now I remember their species, the Vanterians.

at this point in the story, the word count is 283 and very much seems like an ideal place to end if you are sticking to a 300 word count limit.
It's only a thought, but i'm still sticking to my assumption that the writer was asked to add more after it was chosen.
I hadn't even thought of that. Good point!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 89
03-25-2009, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch_Lion View Post
Just a quick question - I was under the impression that contest entries were to be limited to 300 words maximum? The winning entry clocks in at over twice that.
Hmm, yeah I noticed that too. Perhaps it was amended by Cryptic. If I'd have known I could have made mine much better rather than squeezing it into 300 words. I wouldn't have been able to win though even if mine had have been as good as the winners, I noticed afterwards it was open to US residents only. Damn beta contractual rules.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 90
03-25-2009, 08:42 AM
I waited a while before posting my ideas on this entry and the contests that have been ran by Awen so far. I'm going to assume it was Awen as he is the Lead CM for STO, so he obviously has the call when it comes to competitions.

Firstly, the grammar in the entry was really, really, really poor. Some here claim that the story is good enough to overlook the rubbish English but I disagree with that. The story was OK. If it had been written with correct English, it would have been awesome. It wasn't and as such, it doesn't surpass that level of just being OK. It shouldn't have won on that fact alone.

Secondly, it is 300 words over the word count limit of 300. The writer should have been disqualified for this oversight on his behalf. If it had been a fairly run contest, I guess that would have happened.

The poor management of competitions is only damaging Cryptic's image. I hope it is sorted for the ext contest.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:28 AM.