Lt. Commander
# 1 Get rid of the Queue?
07-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Just throwing this idea out there to see what you all think.

Eliminate the ability to queue for PvP from anywhere.

Sounds crazy, I know, but the majority of the planets allow you to enter the queue when you go to orbit them, so why not make that the method in which to join PvP. In the interest of making this game feel like a war between two factions, choose a handful of planets that share a border with the Fed and Klink space, and make those the PvP battlegrounds. One planet for each game type (with a random map) or one planet for each map, however you want it done.

When you fly into the planet it gives you a little schpiel about how "this planet is under attack, beam down and defend out deserted facility from the oposing faction" or "the moon of this planet has cracked and enemy forces have been discovered gathering in attept to strike at our bases deeper in our territory, defeat them." I believe this simple fix would go a long way to adding a little flavor to the game and making it feel like you are really at war.

Later, this could be expanded into the whole "expand your faction" deal by having the planets shift control after whatever condition is met (x number of victories?). So lets say the klingons attack planet X and the intro text says "attack these guys in this cracked planetoid" and then the klinks win Y number of victories, the plantet would now be klingon controlled and the text would then change to "defend this cracked planetoid." Really basic, can be implemented with existing maps, but gives the illusion that you are doing something.

Eliminate the queue anywhere function would force people that want to PvP to actually GO THERE to PvP, thus reducing the amount of people who queue up for 3 maps and the go do explore missions and screw up the queue.

The problem I can see with this would be that people are really gosh darned lazy and couldn't be bothered to actually fly to the place they wanted to fight, so the overall PvP population would go down and the queues likely wouldn't get any better. I feel had PvP been done this way to begin with things would have been better than they are right now, but oh well.

What do you all think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-22-2010, 09:15 AM
No.

They need to add *ADDITIONAL* open waring PvP zones with fantastic rewards and challenges.

Again it should be in ADDITION to what we have presently.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Oh I agree that there is a lot of stuff we need in ADDITION to what we have, but that is coming slower than a... great big slow... thing. What this would do is make it feel like that stuff that we DO have is actually somewhat meaningful and not incomplete.

I mostly just threw this idea out there because I am bored at work, but honestly I think ths is how it should have been done in the first place. I don't expect anything like this to ever happen. Like most of the posts on these forums, twas just a pipe dream.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
You idea is sound, but the issue is I have waited sometimes 40 min for me to get a game on in pvp, because lack of enemy players..
At lease when I'm at a planet or station where ever I can do something else while I wait.
If your sitting at one of those pre defined spots waiting to pvp.. what are you going to do watch the paint dry on your new capt. quarters...
open area pvp is the real only answer to fix pvp and fleet guilds coming back to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-22-2010, 11:25 AM
If we had real Open PvP available throughout the Neutral Zone, there wouldn't really be a need for PvP Queues anymore.

Now its up to Cryptic to really implement this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-22-2010, 05:11 PM
i agree with the OP. the current pvp joining planets are currently useless. they need to make those planets so you can actually enter their systems, and have the pvp there, but by entering a queue, otherwise, there would be no process of balancing out the numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 View Post
Just throwing this idea out there to see what you all think.

Eliminate the ability to queue for PvP from anywhere.

Sounds crazy, I know, but the majority of the planets allow you to enter the queue when you go to orbit them, so why not make that the method in which to join PvP. In the interest of making this game feel like a war between two factions, choose a handful of planets that share a border with the Fed and Klink space, and make those the PvP battlegrounds. One planet for each game type (with a random map) or one planet for each map, however you want it done.

When you fly into the planet it gives you a little schpiel about how "this planet is under attack, beam down and defend out deserted facility from the oposing faction" or "the moon of this planet has cracked and enemy forces have been discovered gathering in attept to strike at our bases deeper in our territory, defeat them." I believe this simple fix would go a long way to adding a little flavor to the game and making it feel like you are really at war.

Later, this could be expanded into the whole "expand your faction" deal by having the planets shift control after whatever condition is met (x number of victories?). So lets say the klingons attack planet X and the intro text says "attack these guys in this cracked planetoid" and then the klinks win Y number of victories, the plantet would now be klingon controlled and the text would then change to "defend this cracked planetoid." Really basic, can be implemented with existing maps, but gives the illusion that you are doing something.

Eliminate the queue anywhere function would force people that want to PvP to actually GO THERE to PvP, thus reducing the amount of people who queue up for 3 maps and the go do explore missions and screw up the queue.

The problem I can see with this would be that people are really gosh darned lazy and couldn't be bothered to actually fly to the place they wanted to fight, so the overall PvP population would go down and the queues likely wouldn't get any better. I feel had PvP been done this way to begin with things would have been better than they are right now, but oh well.

What do you all think?
You'd effectively kill PvP for pugs.

I can't begin to describe how many queues would empty if all the pugs had to travel to Eti Eridani.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-23-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
You'd effectively kill PvP for pugs.

I can't begin to describe how many queues would empty if all the pugs had to travel to Eti Eridani.
I have to agree with this to a certain extent (and possibly for a different reason), whilst most of us (I think) would vote for open pvp in some semblence or another, I think the premades would gravitate more towards the open pvp maps which would make it easier for them to set up Fleet Vs Fleet matches.

On the flipside, this would not be a very competitive area for a pug group.

However, If the current system stayed much the same for the same marks/credits, and an open pvp map/area were created as a seperate entity, I think the folk who go in for their badges alone would still queue the same way they do now, and could also choose to visit the open maps.

Being a Brit, I for one will queue for anything, we're the best in the world at queuing, even if it's a turd sandwich at the end of the line, if we see a queue - we join it :-P