Lt. Commander
# 11
07-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
when did they ever promise small cooridors? Infact, I distinctly remember the opposite...one of the devs (if I recall) said that the interiors would be the big versions, because all interiors were built for combat (starbases, abandoned ships, lol) and would be reused for the player interiors.

They said it would take significant resources to design and build new ones and they have other priorities instead

I'm not saying they wont eventually make smaller interiors, but I don't think they ever promised them either.
They did, really. Don't remember where, but they did said that once they got the tech right and other priorities straight, the art dept would remake the ship interiors and some other things as well.

But the real issue is that the game WAS rushed. It's playable, it is cool and i ain't gonna say it's broken, but it was rushed using Champions Online engine so that Cryptic had SOMETHING to show to CBS. Ain't their fault really, its PERPETUAL's fault, because they dragged STO development for years without doing nothing more than some concept art.

It is my belief and hope that they released the game as it is because they had a short release window, and that they WILL update and reprogram the game engine as it goes.
Lt. Commander
They could make smaller corridors for when it's just you running around on your ship instead of you with 4 bridge officers. They said this earlier, I remember distinctly, but no idea where.

Still, I agree. Fix the camera problem and then you can scale at least some of it down. For interior missions you need the ability for 5 people to move and fight, ok. You could start by modifying the formation the boffs take behind you for a smaller area. Make it a longer V so it takes less width.

For now I'd be ok with smaller versions of the interiors for when it's just you running around doing mini-games in sickbay and engineering. I don't think it's too much to ask, though I understand it will take time.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
Still, I agree. Fix the camera problem and then you can scale at least some of it down. For interior missions you need the ability for 5 people to move and fight, ok. You could start by modifying the formation the boffs take behind you for a smaller area. Make it a longer V so it takes less width. ......
Baldurs Gate is a good example of tactical team formation options that worked pretty good. Simple, and fast.

Lt. Commander
# 14
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
They did, really. Don't remember where, but they did said that once they got the tech right and other priorities straight, the art dept would remake the ship interiors and some other things as well.

But the real issue is that the game WAS rushed. It's playable, it is cool and i ain't gonna say it's broken, but it was rushed using Champions Online engine so that Cryptic had SOMETHING to show to CBS. Ain't their fault really, its PERPETUAL's fault, because they dragged STO development for years without doing nothing more than some concept art.

It is my belief and hope that they released the game as it is because they had a short release window, and that they WILL update and reprogram the game engine as it goes.
I dunno about that. A lot of people like to say that Perpetual didn't do much, but I'm not convinced. We see a lot of their models showing up in today's STO, even their login screen is the same. Some of the basic concepts are there too. When it comes down to it, I think CBS wanted their game OMGMAKEITNOWZPLOX and were tired of waiting when they saw the franchise getting ready for its reboot. CBS makes television, not video games, and they didn't seem to grasp that MMOs require considerable development periods.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I find the hundreds of zombie crewmen walking aimlesly around, through eachother and often through me, to be very disturbing as well.

I wish we could reduce or even eliminate the crewmembers and replace them with stationary ones.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_gin_time_again View Post
Baldurs Gate is a good example of tactical team formation options that worked pretty good. Simple, and fast.

Star Wars Galaxies has correcly-scaled interiors. So does World Of ********.

Both games have intense, interior battle... and their cameras work just fine. I don't see anyone on their forums complaining about the camera clipping, but as long as STO has massive interiors, players will be unhappy.

I'm befuddled (and increasingly disappointed) in the decisions made by Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Star Wars Galaxies has correcly-scaled interiors. So does World Of ********.

Both games have intense, interior battle... and their cameras work just fine. I don't see anyone on their forums complaining about the camera clipping, but as long as STO has massive interiors, players will be unhappy.

I'm befuddled (and increasingly disappointed) in the decisions made by Cryptic.
I tend to agree with you wholeheartedly especially on the camera clipping.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
I dunno about that. A lot of people like to say that Perpetual didn't do much, but I'm not convinced. We see a lot of their models showing up in today's STO, even their login screen is the same. Some of the basic concepts are there too. When it comes down to it, I think CBS wanted their game OMGMAKEITNOWZPLOX and were tired of waiting when they saw the franchise getting ready for its reboot. CBS makes television, not video games, and they didn't seem to grasp that MMOs require considerable development periods.
Yeah, Zinc said it himself last year during STO development that they had access to all Perpetual property, although it wasn't much to begin with, just some loose models and concept art (3D sets like the Galaxy bridge included).

Loose models and concept art might seem like good material, but that is ALL they had to show for 5 years of work.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangover_Boy
when did they ever promise small cooridors? Infact, I distinctly remember the opposite...one of the devs (if I recall) said that the interiors would be the big versions, because all interiors were built for combat (starbases, abandoned ships, lol) and would be reused for the player interiors.

They said it would take significant resources to design and build new ones and they have other priorities instead

I'm not saying they wont eventually make smaller interiors, but I don't think they ever promised them either.
It has been said several times by the Dev team the interiors would have 2 scales, a combat/large scale and a noncobat small corridor scale. From the 15 foot tall LCARS stations to the properly scaled doors in a corridor wide enough for eight people to walk down side by side, I can honestly say my faith is being shaken as well.

Bigger doesn't always mean epic and everything in this game is being done as big as possible, jesus just look at the player models. Default male is a buff Marine with a max PT test score and the women..well they give Elvira a run for her money at default.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo
Yeah, Zinc said it himself last year during STO development that they had access to all Perpetual property, although it wasn't much to begin with, just some loose models and concept art (3D sets like the Galaxy bridge included).

Loose models and concept art might seem like good material, but that is ALL they had to show for 5 years of work.
Keep in mind Perpetual was also building an engine to make the game work. Cryptic did it the other way around. I think that's a big part of why we see the community as upset as it is - ultimately these issues boil down to engine limitations.