Lt. Commander
# 21
07-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer View Post
Keep in mind Perpetual was also building an engine to make the game work. Cryptic did it the other way around. I think that's a big part of why we see the community as upset as it is - ultimately these issues boil down to engine limitations.
An engine which Cryptic wrote themselves, and can presumably modify.

That's why I believe that the massive interiors have been mandated from a claustrophobic manager. In fact, COH used a seperate engine and they have large interiors as well (through the offices were pretty good).
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-22-2010, 11:39 AM
What if it isn't the engine that is preventing the small corridors? Putting the camera into a noclipping mode and shrinking the rooms would kill the engine, it would reveal all the rooms and corridors floating in the darkness beyond the walls. The new interiors and the SB1 glitch shows there are rooms and halls tucked away that even though you must zone load to get there, they are on the same mat.

hell simple fix that wouldn't show us the rubbish hidden in the dark. When not in space, roll over to first person view. I know it isn't an easy fix but it sure kills the camera and scale problems.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I find that walking in the hallways makes me sad, because nobody talks to anyone, and only a few unlucky crew members are doing all the work, everyone else just crowds up and bunches up the hallway so I have to go around them. The rooms themselves feel really cool because there's interesting new art and furnature there, although there are no patients in sickbay and no scientists running experiments in either lab.

There are no dialogs, no missions to do, no tests to run, no mini-games to play, no computers to read history, no bartender, no venders, my Doctor Bridge Officer never leaves the bridge, my Chief Engineer is never found in Engineering, my orion slave bridge officer never visits my quarters... I assume most of these will be added at some point, but I fear there will be backlash for releasing interiors without these kinds of details and even more backlash if they are delayed any more.

I can't wait to see improvements and location additions to interiors, such as an astrometics lab, cargo bay, and holodeck (perhaps with a holodeck test room like the one in Voyager). When UGC hits, interiors will be a roleplayers paradise.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Star Wars Galaxies has correcly-scaled interiors. So does World Of ********.

Both games have intense, interior battle... and their cameras work just fine. I don't see anyone on their forums complaining about the camera clipping, but as long as STO has massive interiors, players will be unhappy.

I'm befuddled (and increasingly disappointed) in the decisions made by Cryptic.
Yep,
SWG is still a good example. The sizes were correct and we could fight like crazy in it !

Why it's not possible with STO ? the camera ? ...
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foss View Post
Yep,
SWG is still a good example. The sizes were correct and we could fight like crazy in it !

Why it's not possible with STO ? the camera ? ...
It's possible, but character's don't clip in WoW, you could have 30 people standing in the same spot in WoW but in STO there can be only 1.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Really? Are we already nitpicking the interiors even given how there's much more needed things to attend to? I personally don't care about how big the hallways, it would be nice if they got fixed but I'd rather see them put more work into more Klingon missions and content, focus on the things that are SERIOUSLY lacking.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
Really? Are we already nitpicking the interiors even given how there's much more needed things to attend to? I personally don't care about how big the hallways, it would be nice if they got fixed but I'd rather see them put more work into more Klingon missions and content, focus on the things that are SERIOUSLY lacking.
So the largest player base should be unhappy with content that didn't meet expectations in order to satiate the needs/wants of the smallest player base? Why didn't I think of that before? It makes total sense!
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
I think it's simply: "If you're going to bother putting the interiors in, at least make them look right and do something."
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Really? Are we already nitpicking the interiors even given how there's much more needed things to attend to?...

Yes, we're nitpicking... because expressing our thoughts on a feature while it's still in beta/test servers is what the test servers is about in the first place. Once it's live, the chances of effecting change go down drastically.

The devs are currently committed to delivering interiors. The players are committed to making sure our desires are met.

As for the size - you may not care about the physical size, but they're game-breaking for me.

*EDIT*

Compare the following samples provided by MOJO. That doesn't bother you?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1593159_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5773404_n.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSTAFF
I find the hundreds of zombie crewmen walking aimlesly around, through eachother and often through me, to be very disturbing as well.
They should contact the guys who made The Sims and have them come up with NPC algorithms for this game.