Lt. Commander
# 1 Android bridge officer?
07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
probably been suggested before, so just resufacing the topic
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Lots on it already.

Some lifers want it as ANOTHER perk. I say bah to that.

Some, like me, say make it something you earn through optional mission content. I say make it hard so you don't see everyone with one.

Some say make it earnable, C-store, and a lifetime perk.

To sum up people want it, I say make content to earn it and give memory alpha grinders a specialized "item" to craft requiring earned items.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-22-2010, 12:58 PM
i made my own took me a few hours but he looks cool. just need to use an alien BO and make him look like an android.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-23-2010, 02:41 AM
I'd like that. I'd like it to be granted as a reward for an accolade! Like 100 completed STFs, or 100 STFs AND 500 PvPs... As long as it's some accolade that shows that you're a dedicated player. Not like the lifetime or veteran awards. They just show that you have spent money :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-23-2010, 02:46 AM
id rather an android player charicter, but im not paying 5k in cp for it..lol 500 tops : )
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-27-2010, 02:38 AM
It should be a Veterans Reward or LTS perk or both The new Bridge officer into Captain system dstahl is talking about would allow you to make a bridge officer a playable character It sound like that may be the two birds with one stone solution.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I'd rather not see them at all, as creating a functional android is supposed to be extremely difficult to do. Androids should be rare, not available on every ship.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Maybe they could make it so that we could build them at Memory Alpha, or the Soong foundation. but make it so that we have to get very specific things first, each of which would be rare themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkos
I'd rather not see them at all, as creating a functional android is supposed to be extremely difficult to do. Androids should be rare, not available on every ship.
We saw them all the time in TOS.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuScrubby View Post
We saw them all the time in TOS.
Well, not really, no. There were a number of episodes that involved artificial beings These episodes from TOS and TNG are where they appear. I'm only referencing these two series as I don't recall any episodes from DS9 or VOY that featured any, and i don't have complete episode guides for them to check. If I'm wrong, then let me know.

TOS
1. "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" - Machine that creates a android duplicate and copies a person's mind into it
2. "I, Mudd" - Several dozen (?) androids,
3. "Return to Tomorrow" - Aliens require android bodies to house their consciousness'
4. "Requiem for Methuselah"- Android created by the immortal Flint

TNG
5."Datalore", "Brothers", "Descent" - Appearances of Data's brother Lore
6."The Offspring" - Data creates a daughter, Lal
7. "Inheritance" - Android copy of Data's mother, Julianna Tainer

Let's assume that Data is the baseline for what makes an android. His body could be reproduced quite easily, it's just another piece of engineering. Even today we are coming close to building a fully bipedal robot. The issue here is that he is an artificial Intelligence/consciousness, capable of independent thought and decision making.

It's because of this that i would immediately discount #s 1 and 3, as they are still humanoid "brains" housed in a construct. For #2, those androids were really robots that looked human, and were controlled by a central computer. That leaves #4, Rayna, which I would agree that she is a natural android.

Now in TNG, Lore is a certifiable android, as is Lal, but considering that she went into cascade failure, It's further proof that creating an android is down right difficult, even if the creator is a result of that process. Juliana, even though she was Soong creation, is also a human consciousness downloaded to a construct.
I wouldn't really count B4, because his programming is minimal at best, and by the time of STO, he's now Data.

So outside of Soong, there has been only one other person that could create pure android, and that's Flint (There's a novel called "immortal Coil", where Flint is tied into Soong's history, along with Ira Graves (TNG "The Schizoid Man") and the "What little Girls..." episode. It's a good read.), And between the two of them, only three pure androids have been created. Hardly enough to go around for everyone.

But that's just my opinion.