Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
07-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirnea
In the fleet that I am apart of, only a few high ranking officers have access to remove items from the bank. I, being one that does not have access to remove said items, prefer it that way. Because if I spot something I like/want, I still have the opportunity to petition/ask/pay to get it so with it getting ninja swiped from me.

Why, oh why wouldn't all fleet commanders adopt these security protocols?
Its a fine line, add too many restrictions and the fleet becomes a pyramid scheme, too few and you're robbed blind.

Welcome everyone with open arms and promotions and you have a varied fleet, but more chance to be robbed. Too paranoid, and the leadership becomes the elect few and promotions being stalled by absentee leadership that has quit the game.


The worst case scenario, the fleet bank allows deposits, but there's no one left playing with rank to withdraw anything.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
07-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reply StormShade I thought as much, in this case I believe it to be purposely done as the online officers must have been put on ignore prior to the theft as no one could send a tell.

Thanks also for some of the good ideas to communicate amongst ourselves. We do have a good strong community of both players, admin, and devs alike.

In every MMO there are "Fleet Robbers" , though not everyone realizes the various MMO cons but remember Knowledge is power, but with great power comes great responsibility, and that's one to grow on.

He didn't get much we do keep the good stuff under strict officer control.

Fleet Admirals, and officers that are interested in meeting and sharing information responsibility and discretely can reach me via ingame email or send a tell.

Again thanks for the fast response.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
07-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
While very true that we can't control what you put up in your own websites and forums, again, I want to stress that this kind of thing has a lasting effect on the people's whose names are put on that list, and if it's not verified, and double checked somehow, it's entirely possible that someone whose name doesn't belong on that list could end up there.

That's good for no one.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Again thanks for the response The tools work well we were able to take control of the situation very quickly via good communication (XMPP FTW I was BBQing but got the tell from out of game )

My question was one that needed answering so I could deal with the Lynch mob lol ( lets just say our Klingon Fleet will be looking for him in a PvP zone \m/, )

However I have a feeling we wont see this one actually playing, maybe selling energy creds outside quarks while garbed as a blind begger.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
07-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumrah
Greetings, I have a question for the Devs, I, as a fleet leader have noticed a rise in Fleet Robbers, these undesirables join a fleet, take what ever they can get away with all they can from fleet bank tabs, and leave the fleet.

Talking with other Fleet Admirals this seem to be on the rise.

I have proof of one such incident by way of pics of time stamped logs etc. We have filed GM reports and have as of yet only received auto responses.

My question is ..... Is it ok to list these cyber criminals and traitors to both the Federation and the Empire, in the forums along with the evidence?

Or would that be considered trolling or flaming?

What is the proper procedure for sharing this information with other Fleet Leaders so we can eliminate the effectiveness of these petty thieves?
The best answer is for ONLY fleet admin or leaders to have access to remove fleet stuff from the vault. ANYone can contribute... but ONLY one or two should have access to withdraw.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
07-23-2010, 12:03 AM
What we need is some other settings for the fleet banks.

Instead of setting the withdrawal limit per tab it should be for the entire bank.
But as I've written in an other post, moving an item in the bank registers as a withdrawal.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=168831

Which makes it possible to spam the log with false withdrawals.

It's also not possible to copy the logs and paste in to text files, which is needed.

We also need the function that exists in Champions Online where you can drag an item from one of your bags and drop it on an other and the item moves there. We need that function in the fleet banks.

Because why should I have to withdraw something that someone put in the wrong bank tab and then deposit it in the right one, adding more work on our backs, not forgetting the logs. When an easy drag and drop on the correct tab should be enough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
07-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumrah
Thanks for the reply StormShade I thought as much, in this case I believe it to be purposely done as the online officers must have been put on ignore prior to the theft as no one could send a tell.

Thanks also for some of the good ideas to communicate amongst ourselves. We do have a good strong community of both players, admin, and devs alike.

In every MMO there are "Fleet Robbers" , though not everyone realizes the various MMO cons but remember Knowledge is power, but with great power comes great responsibility, and that's one to grow on.

He didn't get much we do keep the good stuff under strict officer control.

Fleet Admirals, and officers that are interested in meeting and sharing information responsibility and discretely can reach me via ingame email or send a tell.

Again thanks for the fast response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumrah

Again thanks for the response The tools work well we were able to take control of the situation very quickly via good communication (XMPP FTW I was BBQing but got the tell from out of game )

My question was one that needed answering so I could deal with the Lynch mob lol ( lets just say our Klingon Fleet will be looking for him in a PvP zone \m/, )

However I have a feeling we wont see this one actually playing, maybe selling energy creds outside quarks while garbed as a blind begger.
funny. i give you an answer in a dr. phil sort of way and he gives it to you in an oprah sort of way and you thank him....lmao.

nothing further......
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27 @ Sir_James_of_Cadiz
07-23-2010, 06:43 AM
@ Sir_James_of_Cadiz

Your 1st reply had nothing to do with my question, which was on the liabilities of exposing the thief to other Leaders via the forums etc.

Your answer had no bearing on my question so I considered it somewhat trollish in nature.

I am sure you are a fine individual and perhaps we had a simple misunderstanding. Hope to team up or do battle in game soon.

Our fleet has checks and balances in place and our losses were minimal, that however was not my topic.

At no time was I seeking compensation, only wisdom.

I posted here to inquire of legalities involved from an admin standpoint and received a competent reply.
Qa'pla!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
07-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBuzzard
The best answer is for ONLY fleet admin or leaders to have access to remove fleet stuff from the vault. ANYone can contribute... but ONLY one or two should have access to withdraw.

This ranks right above mandatory ec credit Donations to the fleet bank as "Reasons to Quit a Fleet"

If everyone contributes but only a few can reap the befits of it, why should I bother? In that case it will come down to whoever kisses the backside of the leader the most, gets the "gifts." And what happens when one or two of the withdrawlers quits the fleet, or STO? Your pyramid-scheme fleet becomes, a burial tomb of EC and blue gear.

Yes there needs to be control, and a chain of command, but a dictatorship of resources in not how a good organization functions
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
09-28-2010, 12:31 AM
Ok I agree in theory with not posting names, but if the log shows definite "nastiness" ie take a ton of stuff and credits and then immediately quit the Fleet that right there needs to be addressed.
My Fleet has been at a standstill since our Fleet leaders appear to have decided not to play anymore. As the next rank down I have been "in charge". However due to the permissions set up by the leaders that we cant demote or promote up to our own rank when a same ranked member decided to be a "robber" we couldnt stop him. Also we cant do much other than "say " we are in charge. Is there a way to petition somehow to turn the Fleet over to an active member? I dont wanna steal the Fleet -- in practice it's already mine -- but I just wanna be able to actually run it till the leaders come back. No kicking anyone or demoting or anything -- just wanna like access the Fleet email lol. As far as what was taken oh well I just wanna have the ability to change the permissions so it doesnt happen again. Also starting a new Fleet isnt what I want either our bank is fully tabbed and I'd really like to keep that and the Fleet intact. Any ideas sugestions other than just totally giving up?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
09-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
While very true that we can't control what you put up in your own websites and forums, again, I want to stress that this kind of thing has a lasting effect on the people's whose names are put on that list, and if it's not verified, and double checked somehow, it's entirely possible that someone whose name doesn't belong on that list could end up there.

That's good for no one.

Thanks,

Stormshade
I agree with StormShade completely...as a legal professional, I can only imagine the lawsuits for defamation if people in real life arbitrarily posted peoples names on lists accusing them of unproven offences. The potential damage to the community as a whole is far greater than the benefit it would bring to fleets.

The fleet I am a part of has been around for over 2 years (formed when STO was first announced) and we have over 400 members...we have not had a single incident of fleet bank theft.

My advice to fleets...figure out a reasonable and controlled method of fleet bank deposits and withdrawls. If you are being robbed because you are giving access to people whom you obviously don't know at all, it is your own fault, not Cryptics. Do some business analysis and create new banking procedures. It is as simple as that.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:35 PM.