07-22-2010, 10:23 PM
did you see it?

did you like it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Saw it.

Liked it.

There were tons of great concepts, tons of great scenes, but it had too many, "Why" moments. Those moments that just don't really make a whole lot of sense in the context of the overall story.

And the ending, that is supposed to be ambigous, is only ambigous if you assume the production staff made huge glaring oversights in directing/casting. IE: The children.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
And the ending, that is supposed to be ambigous, is only ambigous if you assume the production staff made huge glaring oversights in directing/casting. IE: The children.
How does DiCaprio keep getting work...?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I thought it was a great movie...just get ready to keep several different things straight in your head as you're watching the movie. Also, I thought it was a tad long but definitely not boring!
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Veni Vidi Vici...no...not quite...

Saw it, watched most of it...was not thrilled...but then again, I don't like Leonardo diCaprio...I went to appease another carbon unit...lol
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
How does DiCaprio keep getting work...?
He is a very skilled actor? Seriously, the guy can act, I don't get the Dicaprio hate.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
He is a very skilled actor? Seriously, the guy can act, I don't get the Dicaprio hate.
I don't know why I hate him...but I do...he rubs me the wrong way...Like wool over a fresh carpet burn...lol
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-23-2010, 01:17 AM
I saw it and loved.

For me, it was a poignant musing over obsession, love, loss, and guilt. It was Christopher Nolan's warmest film to-date (and happiest ending).

As for what I though about the ending (select the text below to read):

The final scene stops before anyone can determine whether the top will fall (it does wobble). This is misdirection. It doesn't matter - unless the film has successfully planted the idea that even reality could be a fake. In that case, you've been incept-ed. It's a challenging film that leaves a problem ending with nice-strings and lets the audience project their own interpretation.

Cobb finally forgives himself and decides, regardless of whether this is real or not, to accept his children. He will never get his wife back but it wasn't his fault.

As for why many people think the entire movie was a dream: I think this is cleverly pulling an inception on us. They've planted this idea that reality is not what it seems and the directors decided to leave something that have us question that.

I did not believe the top robbed the emotional impact.

DiCaprio gave an exceptional performance (it was less "Hey, I'm Leo and I'm an Actor With Serious Things to Say" and actually felt like he was Cobb).

The supporting cast was equally as talented - though Ellen Page's part was largely an audience proxy. Hardy was superb. Cillian Murphy gave a great performance too (I thought he'd have a smaller part) - it's nice seeing him in a role where he isn't crazy. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was great too - even if he was playing it cool the whole film (and lacked an emotional arc).

Great writing, great action, great editing.

Also, many of those fight scenes weren't visual effects - like the Hallway. They actually had a soundstage on a giant, multi-axis rotating platform. Very cool practical effects in this film.

Also, parts of the street cafe exploding were real (they used compressed air to fire stuff).
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-23-2010, 01:32 AM
Sorry. The only part of the film that even interests me in the slightest is the scene where the train is randomly going along the main street.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I saw it and loved.

For me, it was a poignant musing over obsession, love, loss, and guilt. It was Christopher Nolan's warmest film to-date (and happiest ending).

As for what I though about the ending (select the text below to read):

The final scene stops before anyone can determine whether the top will fall (it does wobble). This is misdirection. It doesn't matter - unless the film has successfully planted the idea that even reality could be a fake. In that case, you've been incept-ed. It's a challenging film that leaves a problem ending with nice-strings and lets the audience project their own interpretation.

Cobb finally forgives himself and decides, regardless of whether this is real or not, to accept his children. He will never get his wife back but it wasn't his fault.

As for why many people think the entire movie was a dream: I think this is cleverly pulling an inception on us. They've planted this idea that reality is not what it seems and the directors decided to leave something that have us question that.

I did not believe the top robbed the emotional impact.

DiCaprio gave an exceptional performance (it was less "Hey, I'm Leo and I'm an Actor With Serious Things to Say" and actually felt like he was Cobb).

The supporting cast was equally as talented - though Ellen Page's part was largely an audience proxy. Hardy was superb. Cillian Murphy gave a great performance too (I thought he'd have a smaller part) - it's nice seeing him in a role where he isn't crazy. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was great too - even if he was playing it cool the whole film (and lacked an emotional arc).

Great writing, great action, great editing.

Also, many of those fight scenes weren't visual effects - like the Hallway. They actually had a soundstage on a giant, multi-axis rotating platform. Very cool practical effects in this film.

Also, parts of the street cafe exploding were real (they used compressed air to fire stuff).
excellent write up. i think you bang nailed it. he wants us to doubt the ending, and the fact that you do in anyway, implies he pulled a successful inception on us. the fact that we doubt means he was successful.