Lt. Commander
# 21
07-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
Because it's a stupid idea. A Connie should never be a match for a Sovereign. A Nova should never be a match for a Luna. The list goes on.
why, its just a tin can hull, so to speak....

Why not gut them and jam the insides with cool new tech for the admiral?
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorra
I read some where on this forum the idea that each pvp match should have to have a certain number of each tier of ship and I think that would be a decent idea allowing different ships. I wish they would balance the ships as close to how they were supposed to be in the show and maybe allow a upgrade one tier but as others have said a Miranda should never be a match for a sovereign. In the end however we can only blame our selves for everyone flying the same ship in pvp since every one wants to be the strongest rather than just flying what they like the looks of.

The only thing they really need to change in my view is make it so lower tiered ships can do high lvl missions in pve. Maybe base the enemy on the ship one is flying except in fleet actions of course.
This is a bit off-topic ... but ...

They already do have the technology to include lower tier ships in Events and PVE content. They don't use it here. But in Champions Online, they have adjusted their holiday events and some of their outdoor events in a way that a level 10 and a level 35 can basically compete or assist each other in meaningful way. I believe they made the specific combat elements percentage based and level banded that. So like my level 10's lightning attack would do a scaled percentage that is on par with the level 35's gigabolt.

They can adjust that to work in STO. It may require some coding magic to make it fit and be functional in PVP.

BUT, they could certainly apply this to fleet actions and get rid of level banding in those and bring back the sense of community this game had that first month when everyone was in an FA having fun together.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluant
why, its just a tin can hull, so to speak....

Why not gut them and jam the insides with cool new tech for the admiral?
That's pretty much how it's supposed to be if you go by the STO Timeline or the Novel. Captains have the new modular designed ship technology from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers. So your description is spot on. It's just the hull that looks like a constitution. Inside, it's much different.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
This is a bit off-topic ... but ...

They already do have the technology to include lower tier ships in Events and PVE content. They don't use it here. But in Champions Online, they have adjusted their holiday events and some of their outdoor events in a way that a level 10 and a level 35 can basically compete or assist each other in meaningful way. I believe they made the specific combat elements percentage based and level banded that. So like my level 10's lightning attack would do a scaled percentage that is on par with the level 35's gigabolt.

They can adjust that to work in STO. It may require some coding magic to make it fit and be functional in PVP.

BUT, they could certainly apply this to fleet actions and get rid of level banding in those and bring back the sense of community this game had that first month when everyone was in an FA having fun together.
Good point and post. I think this would be a good start.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
K'tinga tier 5 = stupid. It should already be on the same tier as the Connie (but sadly, like the Akira they mis-tiered it). It's an old ship. There's just no way.

I can barely think up reasons to tier up a Vor'cha to tier 5 beyond the fact that it was often compared to the Galaxy and that's getting a tier 5 version. Still the thought of a Vor'cha being in the same tier as a Negh'var is somewhat... meh.

A K'tinga in Tier 5 would be a joke. The symbol of all things wrong with the tiers. We might as well put a Type-II shuttle craft in Tier 5.

Also saying something is stupid might not be the most constructive thing in the world but it doesn't mean it's not true.
All this drivel and you still think the Akira is good for T5? Boy do you need to learn some of the ST lore. The Akira is correctly placed in STO. This is not SFC3 where that ship had major advantages with the final patch. Do some research and find out just what the Akira is capable of compared to a Nebula, now look to find why the feds developed the Neb... It was in responce to the Vor'cha so if they're gonna make a t5 neb then there had better be a t5 Vor'cha. Leave the Akira where it belongs, low tier.
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creovex View Post
Get rid of the tier system all together. Since it takes no time to get to the end game as everyone says, get rid of it and make everything max level, give each ship unique traits that stick out and people will pick what they like and use. At least maybe we will see more of a fleet feel at the top then a club of new ships sitting there.
This is the way it should have been from the start.

I am very much in favor of eliminating the Tiers altogether.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE-Kaos View Post
All this drivel and you still think the Akira is good for T5? Boy do you need to learn some of the ST lore. The Akira is correctly placed in STO. This is not SFC3 where that ship had major advantages with the final patch. Do some research and find out just what the Akira is capable of compared to a Nebula, now look to find why the feds developed the Neb... It was in responce to the Vor'cha so if they're gonna make a t5 neb then there had better be a t5 Vor'cha. Leave the Akira where it belongs, low tier.
All this drivel and you still think Akira isn't good for T5? Boy do you need to learn some of the ST lore. The Akira is incorrectly placed in STO (along with much of the ships). This is not SFC3 which I've personally never played. Do some research and find out just what the Akira is capable of compared ot the Nebula, now look to find why the feds developed the Neb. It was in response to the Vor'cha so if they're gonna make a t5 neb then there had better be a t5 Vor'cha. Put the Akira at T5 where it belongs, a higher tier.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMattSchwab
This is the way it should have been from the start.

I am very much in favor of eliminating the Tiers altogether.
The last game I remember that eliminated core game mechanics and basically went back to the drawing board was Star Wars Galaxies. That didn't go over too well.

I find that no matter how much you or I or anyone thinks X, Y or Z should have been different "from the start" ... that once a game is launched, it's healthier for the game to evolve from the core that's already in place. Changes are easier to make that way. And they won't alienate a large number of players. (You might not like the tier system, but a lot of players are used to it by now and would have issues with it being revamped completely).
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Size matters. It's not like they fill big ships with nothing but crap tech. Then fill the tiny ships with all the amazing tech.

If you mention the Defiant, it's simply the exception to the rule.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
If you mention the Defiant, it's simply the exception to the rule.
When the Defiant first launched, it might have been the exception to the rule.

However, 30 years later, with the Starfleet Corps of Engineers being directed by the man who was Chief Engineer aboard the Defiant, the "norm" could very easily lean towards the Defiant.

In that, I mean the Defiant proved that with the equipment it had outfitted, it could go toe to toe with a cruiser. So 30 years later, it would be logical to assume that the SCE would take the success that was the Defiant, and apply the lessons learned as well as the smaller, more compact systems and equipment, and use that to bolster the power and capability of other small ships in the fleet.

There are no smaller fleet ships than the Defiant. So, your room for equipment only expands as your ship size increases.