Lt. Commander
# 121
03-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Awen and Iron Angel could change boards for a day and recharge...
I personally edited my story by over 50% and changed most of the dynamic i usually use to do it.. to fit a fair set of rules.. I had once ask Awen to do a Blue Book Style Essay..

I simply can't write the same way here as my own Admin Moderator-Star Trek Board access allows me.

The Thesaurus and phrase censor here can be poor and I cannot discuss infractions due to the poor translation review they use here..
Me a grievance.. No Questions yes.

Yet I still enter as a lark..

I like the winners. I do not resent any of them.. all have points of interest.

A Random Lotto of Legal users fine..Accounts- one Account by Law one entry simple.
problem solved.

The constant need to vent and challenge authority is satisfied here for many for another day..
The catharsis Served...

Awen trapped in her cubical for crazy hours..Bering the brunt of the work place point of contact stress.. Whilst we on the other hand don't get paid to read anything here..

Not the best rate of exchange...
Lt. Commander
# 122
03-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Wow, a lot of comments on here make me quite sad about the community.

Congrats to the winners! Hopefully Cryptic allows more creative contests in the future.

Besides, most rules should be looked at more as Guidelines than strict regulations . . . after all, shouldn't we be happy that creativity won out over blind adherence to mindless arbitrary rules and restrictions?

/just my personal opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 123
03-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfhramn View Post
after all, shouldn't we be happy that creativity won out over blind adherence to mindless arbitrary rules and restrictions?
Thats the thing; it didnt. The people who actually followed the rules had to "stifle" their creativity to make their entries conform to the 300 word rule. Someone else's story could have actually be much more creative than the person who won if they were allowed to use the same amount of words as the winner.
Lt. Commander
# 124
03-25-2009, 05:48 PM
I just wanted to add that while I haven't yet participated in these contests, I enjoyed reading the winning entries, and I don't really care for the "lottery" idea for future contests. The creative contests are much more fun. This oversight when it came to the word count is unfortunate, and I think people have the right to complain about it. However, why not just learn from this mistake for future contests and make sure the winner has a correct word count first? In fact, before even reading the entries, just paste them into word and do quick word count, and don't even read that ones that go over it.

That would be my suggestion. Awen, you're only human (or Vulcan, or something ) so I can understand how a mistake like that could be made, but just an apology and promise not to let it happen again should be sufficient. I'd also like to see one of the runner ups who did keep the 300 word count get awarded first prize in addition to the one who was already chosen, but I do not know if it would be possible to do that or not.
Lt. Commander
# 125
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
In the future - all contests will be random lotteries so that this sort of thing does not happen again. I appreciate all of the hard work and creativity that you have put into the contests thus far and I hope that we may again some day be able to have activities that allow you all to be creative.
I've caught up on all this and I agree with most people - what happened wasn't right and you should have handled it much better.

I do appreciate the apologies, but they came in a little too late. The fact that you came up with the whole 'we changed the rules because we felt like it' story at first doesn't make things better. But let's not make too big a deal out of it; apology accepted.

However, I do not like at all the fact that the contests will now be made into far less motivating and therefore far less interesting lotteries because of a mistake made initially by you, and as a result, by the rest of the team. It's all right to make mistakes, as long as you acknowledge them, otherwise you gain nothing by them. But taking part of the fun out of something for other people as a direct result of your mistake, that's just wrong.

I hope you'll reconsider this decision. The next contest should be just like this one again. You've made this mistake now, so you certainly won't forget about the word count rule next time, trust me. Just don't change any rules after the contest has started and correct any mistakes you might make in the process. The community is capable of understanding, you see.

So please, no lottery. There's absolutely no reason to, for lack of a better word, punish us for something you did, whether it was intentional or not.

One last note: no matter what, this has damaged the relationship between the community and Cryptic. While reading all about this, I was having some serious doubts about remaining a community member and about eventually playing STO. I just don't know whether I can fully trust Cryptic, which is what I want. I'm sure a lot of people feel like that, and it's very important. We're going to have to depend on you guys if we want to have fun playing the game, and we need to know and feel that we can. Perhaps we feel like this for all the wrong reasons, but it's a fact that we do feel like this. Please use this feedback to better yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 126
03-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Thats the thing; it didnt. The people who actually followed the rules had to "stifle" their creativity to make their entries conform to the 300 word rule. Someone else's story could have actually be much more creative than the person who won if they were allowed to use the same amount of words as the winner.
I guess it all depends on the individual. Personally I say kudos to the winner for not compromising their creative integrity, and submitting it in a manner that made them happy. The fact that they won, regardless of silly rules, makes it all the more awesome.

I can understand why people are upset, some people regard these things as sacrosanct. I guess that if I were cryptic I would have picked the most creative entry (as subjective a process as it is) and if it violated the rules, oh well. Then I would have made sure to choose a second winner that followed the rules to a T, just to prevent any disgruntlement. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.
Lt. Commander
# 127
03-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Quote:
I guess it all depends on the individual. Personally I say kudos to the winner for not compromising their creative integrity, and submitting it in a manner that made them happy. The fact that they won, regardless of silly rules, makes it all the more awesome.

I can understand why people are upset, some people regard these things as sacrosanct. I guess that if I were cryptic I would have picked the most creative entry (as subjective a process as it is) and if it violated the rules, oh well. Then I would have made sure to choose a second winner that followed the rules to a T, just to prevent any disgruntlement. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.
Just so we're clear, your saying you think its ok to cheat as long as you can justify it? Because thats what breaking the rules is; cheating. Calling the rules "silly" and talking about not comromising your "creative integrity" doesnt change the definition of cheating.
Lt. Commander
# 128
03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Quote:

That is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most ridiculous post I've read on here. Simply astonishing.

What is worse I think you really meant it.

Good lord.
Lt. Commander
# 129
03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofKhonshu View Post
Author of this drivel needs good talking to from parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr..._Controversies

Encourage all to delete it.
I tried! It gets posted back in less than a minute.
Lt. Commander
# 130
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreachAndClear View Post
I tried! It gets posted back in less than a minute.
fekkin LOL!

And so it should.
Closed Thread