Lt. Commander
# 151
03-25-2009, 08:24 PM
First, I would like to thank Arwen for the apology and I do know that mistakes can be made. To the winner of the contest, you should keep your reward as you were judged the winner, no matter who made the mistake that should not be changed.

Like many have suggested, I think there is a case for 'Honorable Mentions' for creative entries and for up-front clear communication.

As for removing all contests because there was feedback on interpreting the rules, when there was a legitimate mistake made, is punishing the community for an error they did not make.

Finally, I did enter the contest and stuck to the rules. As I like bad analogies, I will use a competition to draw a sketch with a graphite pencil, only to have a color picture win because it is more vivid. Rewarding the wrong behavior sends the wrong signals. So far, breaking the rules is OK, but mentioning it gets the competitions removed.

Please reconsider!
Lt. Commander
# 152
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyx View Post
Finally, I did enter the contest and stuck to the rules. As I like bad analogies, I will use a competition to draw a sketch in pencil, only to have a color picture win because it is more vivid. Rewarding the wrong behavior sends the wrong signals. So far, breaking the rules is OK, but mentioning it gets the competitions removed.

Please reconsider!
Maybe the winner used color pencils. I'll edit your analogy and submit it for revision.

You enter a contest to create an artistic scetch of an animal. You read the rules and it states that it must be on 8x11 paper. You set out and create a wonderful picture of a swan on a lake.

The winner is chosen, and it is an origami of a swan, and clearly uses much larger paper than 8x11 in size. Clearly the origami swan is more impressive than your entry.

The judges say they were so moved by the swan that they lost all objectivity of the contest and declared it the victor. You look at your pretty picture of a swan and wonder what could have been.
Lt. Commander
# 153
03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Have any of you that are moaning actually stopped for a second and thought "Hmm, what if all the other entries that were 300 words or lower, were actually crap?"

Yes the winner went over the count but how would you have felt if Awen had turned around and said; "We had to go with one that was over 300 words because frankly, the rest were pure s**t. It actually hurt my eyes to read them and i thought they had been written by an infant. There was no creativity and a few sent me to sleep sooo... Yeah, here's the winner..."

I don't even think there was this much of an uproar during the US elections when all those Florida ballot boxes went missing.
Lt. Commander
# 154
03-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Remember this is the only way to win and the old saying goes " Nice guy always finish last"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_wwm...eature=related
R.I.P Eddie

I know Awen made a mistake just had to put this in for fun :p
If your in a race but have a speed limit 50 mph + or - 10 mph but someone go 101mph and win the race. It cool because it was fun to watch and cheating is the best way to win!! muhahaha
Lt. Commander
# 155
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnattyd View Post
Have any of you that are moaning actually stopped for a second and thought "Hmm, what if all the other entries that were 300 words or lower, were actually crap?"

Yes the winner went over the count but how would you have felt if Awen had turned around and said; "We had to go with one that was over 300 words because frankly, the rest were pure s**t. It actually hurt my eyes to read them and i thought they had been written by an infant. There was no creativity and a few sent me to sleep sooo... Yeah, here's the winner..."

I don't even think there was this much of an uproar during the US elections when all those Florida ballot boxes went missing.
People have every right to express how they feel on these forums. I am not trying to convince anyone, except for the people who govern this site of what I think. I'm happy for the winner and not moaning at all (thats my opinion I guess too )

As a friendly reminder I'd like you to read the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines

Here is the text directly in case you do not wish to go to the page and find it yourself

Quote:
14. Respect is the name of the game. You must respect your fellow members and refrain from inflammatory comments as well as flaming, taunting, and general disrespect. Do not simply put down the opinion or advice given by others. If you don't agree with it, say why - respectfully. Don't just tell them they're wrong. Do not make uninvited remarks about typos, duplicate posts, posting styles, etc.

15. When an opinion-based discussion is being had, do not state things like "there is no argument" as if your opinion is the only one or the only one that matters. When someone has clearly stated their opinion, do not say things like "Are you serious?" and "Are you kidding me?" Remember, this is not a debate club. This is a friendly discussion community. Allow people to have their opinion. No one is to act as some sort of opinion judge, responding to each one to say whether they agree with it or not or whether or not it is a valid, well thought out opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 156
03-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Hmmm.... I was debating on whether to comment on this or not. Like many of you I wrote, what I thought, was a pretty good story. It was about 520 words or so. So I started cutting it down to make the 300 limit. Each cut made the thing a less interesting, a little more bare bones and to the point. In the end I didn't think it was all that great as I had to remove so much of the little details. But I was satisfied in the fact that everyone else would have the same handicap. So it doesn't surprise me that Cryptic would have found a 600 word story to be the best they saw, of course it had to be, it had details a lot of us had to cut out.

Now this may sound harsh, but I don't believe the winner deserves to win. I would congratulation him/her if they had followed the rules and were able to shine in 300 words or less. Hell we get upset when our athletes use drugs to enhance their game play, so why is this any different? Why congratulate someone for not following the rules that were laid down? The rules everyone else played by.

To say Cryptic made a mistake this time, but it's ok they hopefully learned their lesson. To me sounds ridiculous. I recall when I was in university if my prof said the paper due was 7 pages, or 3000 words and someone handed in 9 pages or 4000 words, it was an automatic F. They didn't do the assignment as assigned and the profs and TAs had not time to waste on it. Of course maybe my university was a little harsh, I don't know. But last I checked, in the real world we follow the rules, and we don't reward those who break them. Sure thinking outside the box is needed to advance, but I don't think this qualifies for that.

To say Awen should be fired, is also pretty ridiculous. This is not something worth firing someone over. This has certainly left a sour taste in my mouth, but I will move on. I will play the game and I will enjoy it. Maybe lotteries is the better way to go really. The trivia requires you to be logged on to the forum 24/7, so it's pretty well impossible for most of us. And the creativity contests have rules that are made to be ignored by the fact they are not enforced.

So what's the solution to fix this? To make the community whole again? I'm not in a position to provide anything that will satisfy the disenchanted or mend the fences. I guess we just move on. Nothing else we can do.

Nagilum
Lt. Commander
# 157
03-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Quote:
The simple truth is that not everyone is going to win these and it's probably better to make it across the board fair for everyone rather than anyone getting their feelings hurt right?
Wrong. We've had several contests like this and the winners were chosen from a pool of people who were within or very near the word limits. Saying you won't have any more creativity contests because people got mad that you chose a winner from outside the "legal pool" is punishing the entire community because you didn't notice the rules of the contest. I think we've proved numerous times that when the winners are chosen from within the pool of rules-adherent entries we're pretty nice and congratulatory. It's just in this case the winner was so blatantly outside the bounds of what everyone took to be a hard/semi-hard cap that it was very frustrating to people, the posts calling people unsportsmanlike didn't help those flames either to be honest.

I honestly think we just shouldn't have contests period. If you do a lottery and you get a statistical anomaly where you have 5 people from the same fleet win out of 25 winners then people will say you're leaning toward that fleet or that those people found a way to affect the lottery somehow. No matter what people will complain about a contest, but many many fewer people complain when the winners of a contest and those judging the contest strictly adhere to the pre-defined rules. Next time Awen, just read the rules for the contest before you pick the winner and there won't be a problem!

It's ok Awen you're still much better than some of the CR people I've seen in other MMO forums don't let this misstep get you down, though I'm still kinda surprised by the "unsportsmanlike" comment. That's something I'd have heard from your boss (J.E.) back in CoH beta days and not from a CR person nowadays, that was probably the most hurtful thing that was said in that thread that got closed. It could be said you broke a forum rule ya know

Quote:
Respect is the name of the game. You must respect your fellow members and refrain from inflammatory comments as well as flaming, taunting, and general disrespect.
While I'm not sure what side of the fence I'm on regarding TheHybrid deserving or not deserving the prize I do feel bad that he got caught up in the middle of this. But in all honesty betas suck, a lot. Most people hunger to get in Betas then they get angry that everything isn't working and just log in to log in so they can be around for the later more stable stuff and never help with the work early on. So people are better off not getting into beta by and large til open beta. I myself hate early betas and alphas but I also enjoy them in a weird way because I tend to find a lot more bugs and feel like I'm helping a lot more than when the game becomes more stable. :p
Lt. Commander
# 158
03-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Well I, for one, thought the entry was great! And it very much deserved the win, no matter the limit.

A lot of people are overreacting... I'm sorry. =(
Lt. Commander
# 159
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Everyone's anger was very much justified, Sullen. People were told 300 words and they entered with 300 words. But then comes along someone not abiding by the rules and gets chosen the winner.

Bascially, Cryptic gave a massive middle finger to the entire community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnattyd View Post

Some people posted their entries for the community to judge in the Holodeck, including the Runner-Up. And none of them look horrible. In fact, I bet if they posted their uncut versions, they would've ended up better than Hybrids.
Lt. Commander
# 160
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullen View Post
Well I, for one, thought the entry was great! And it very much deserved the win, no matter the limit.

A lot of people are overreacting... I'm sorry. =(
Things like this make me sad.

Yes the story is great, but they didn't follow the rules stated.

300 words max.

I cannot understand why people are not seeing that.

There has been too many analogies thrown around for me to do one more. Suffice it to say, others who did not win (and not ALL of us are angry) feel cheated for following the rules.

The argument is, one can see it is a long story. It takes but a few moments to go on line and search for Word Counter, a program where you can cut and paste into it to see the amount of words.

Yes, I agree with Awen that is was a good story. And I am happy to the winner. Good for him/her.

Will this stop me from buying the game/other products/entering more contests? No.
Closed Thread