Lt. Commander
# 161
03-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
Guys, when I say lottery, I mean that we randomly choose registered users to receive the prizes. There won't be entries.

The simple truth is that not everyone is going to win these and it's probably better to make it across the board fair for everyone rather than anyone getting their feelings hurt right?
Would be nice if there was a way of coming up with a form that limits the number of words in the contests. That way if a person went over, they'd be able to reword their entry to fit.

Lotteries are fine, but please don't eliminate contests of skill/talent.
Lt. Commander
# 162
03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I second Captain Intrepid's motion!
Lt. Commander
# 163
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Like I said earlier, Lotteries are bad.

Awen could easily keep the contests, and they all narrow down their selection to the top 5 or the top 10, then have the community vote for the winner.
Lt. Commander
# 164
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTerri View Post
Things like this make me sad.

Yes the story is great, but they didn't follow the rules stated.

300 words max.

I cannot understand why people are not seeing that.

There has been too many analogies thrown around for me to do one more. Suffice it to say, others who did not win (and not ALL of us are angry) feel cheated for following the rules.

The argument is, one can see it is a long story. It takes but a few moments to go on line and search for Word Counter, a program where you can cut and paste into it to see the amount of words.

Yes, I agree with Awen that is was a good story. And I am happy to the winner. Good for him/her.

Will this stop me from buying the game/other products/entering more contests? No.
CherryT,

It is not that people are denying that it was over the word count, and for the most part, people are not saying people should not be miffed.

The problem is that some people are going beyond miffed and calling for people to be fired.

This was a 'fun' contest for a trivial prize, but some are acting like they lost out on getting themselves designed into the game, or a fee lifetime subscription.

People are taking the 'prize' far too seriously. Imo, I think the mistake may have benefited Cryptic -- the behavior of some over this is not want I would consider a good personality for Beta Testing and NDA information, imo.
Lt. Commander
# 165
03-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Maybe a few of you guys spent a lot more time on your entry than I did, and that's why you feel cheated? I don't think it's really a matter of ethics or anything.

In my world, you're never going to get anywhere if you don't break a few rules. I don't want to incite any argument, so I'm gonna stop.

Sorry you guys feel bad. =(
Lt. Commander
# 166
03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Intrepid View Post
Would be nice if there was a way of coming up with a form that limits the number of words in the contests. That way if a person went over, they'd be able to reword their entry to fit.

Lotteries are fine, but please don't eliminate contests of skill/talent.
While that is a good idea, I would say that the over-reaction here demonstrates it is not worth it. Lotteries are basically just as effective, and far far less headache.

It is like you go and get doughnuts for the office everyday, and one day you forget to get the ones you promised, and get screamed at by a few people for it. Really kills the incentive to go on your own time to get doughnuts again for everyone. Easier to just stop doing it and eliminate the screaming.
Lt. Commander
# 167
03-25-2009, 10:59 PM
With them trying to say there just going to do Lotteries for now on is nothing more then them turning there mistake on the community. An in doing so there turning it on its self.
Lt. Commander
# 168
03-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Beta slots shouldn't be given out as prizes anyway .

Edit

i just found out what happened about the winner, got picked and was over like 300 words from the rules...um yeah that sucks.

i guess the rules are just made up as they go along ? O.o
Lt. Commander
# 169
03-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Ok, first off people are saying that they are satisfied that Awen reported herself to her superiors then apologized. Um news flash, we have no way of verifying that she did report herself. Itís only her word and frankly I really just donít trust her anymore. Seriously, someone who JUST lied to you and broke the rules; youíre going to trust now? The naivety of it.

About that ďapologyĒ. Let me see, first she picked an entry over 300 words. Could it have been any more of a blatant lie then ďI didnít notice.Ē Who among you seriously canít tell the difference between a 300 word and 600 word submission? If she really canít tell the difference she should be wearing a safety helmet at all times much less working on a MMO. On top of that she says she can change the rules, retro-actively, after the contest has ended, to suit her needs.

Now after this was pointed out she said we were being poor sportsman. This is the keystone to most of the anger from the community. A flagrant insult to everyone who has um ever played any game and followed the little something called rules. If you donít have to follow them then whatís the point? More to the point, this, the most bitter of things to call your fans; HAS NOT YET BEEN ADDRESED MUCH LESS APPOLOGISED FOR. People are saying that we are taking the prize or contest to seriously but this was a spiteful thing to say and is driving the real anger, not the stupid prize.

To further insult the community she has decided to lock any thread where anyone is expressing anger against her. I think I counted three but there maybe more. Rather than take the heat for the **** poor job sheís doing she shuts it down as if that will stop peopleís anger. On top of that she ends her ďapologyĒ with a punishment for speaking against her. She states that sheís stopping the contests. Wow, what a great apology. Actions speak louder than words and by that measure she is screaming ďScrew you, I am God and infallible!!!Ē

Awen, I have enjoyed your path to 2409. I think itís time you focus your work on that and leave the forums. You clearly despise the community and have no managerial skills to deal with anyone who isnít kissing your butt. Iím not saying resign, Iím saying reassign. We are the players and people that love Star Trek. The way you are treating us is nothing short of spitting on us from a balcony. We donít just need, we deserve someone who will treat us with the slightest bit of dignity and integrity. You may be a good content designer but youíre a revolting forum manager. The only joy of a lottery would be less visible incompetence from you.

(counting the mins till this thread getís locked too for speaking against the Awen.)
Lt. Commander
# 170 Right on!
03-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Hah! Say it Shui!

I suppose I'd settle for Awen's reassignment. But the damage done here is extensive and looks to be long-lasting. Like you, I just don't trust Awen, and didn't even before this contest.

The point really comes back to the timeline yesterday morning. Awen freaked in public, trying to defend her ludicrous over-600-word contest award. Then the capper, the "I didn't know it was that long" statement. As you note, however that gets taken, it ain't pretty.

And surely, it is not at all professional for someone in her role to lash out like that. Game Over - at least, by rights, it should be.
Closed Thread